3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Glove vs. Tab  (Read 733 times)

Offline rock_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Glove vs. Tab
« on: April 27, 2009, 09:02:00 AM »
My shooting glove is about worn out, so I'm looking for a new one.  I have noticed that it seems more people shoot tabs.  Should I get a tab and learn to shoot with that?  Which method, glove or tab, gives a cleaner release?

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Glove vs. Tab
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 09:10:00 AM »
You will get a mixed response but for me a quality made tab gives a cleaner release (cordovan face) and will wear like iron. Bateman tabs are the best I have found and make many different styles to choose from.
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 10:25:00 AM »
I started shooting with a glove about fourty years ago, just because my dad did. However, this past year I have been experimenting with a calf hair tab and it seems like my release is better. I am also going to try the cordovan as noted above. I have not hunted with it yet, but will this fall.
gary
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 10:25:00 AM »
It gets to be a personal preference,I started out with a glove but switched to a tab many years ago.Like Rod Jenkins said in MBIII,he said he seemed to be always breaking in a new glove.I like a simple Bateman cordovan tab,been shooting the same tab for the last 4 years,not bad for a $10 dollar tab.I find I can control the arrow better and I get a great release.Just my preference for me.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 11:01:00 AM »
No opinion on which gives a cleaner release, but it's impossible to rotate a glove around out of your way for the 101 other things you need your right hand for on a hunt.

A tab is just a lot more covenient for me.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 11:07:00 AM »
I'm with Jeff, the tab is convenient and I believe it does allow for a cleaner loose.  I started using them in the mid 1960's and still use them.

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 01:36:00 PM »
I have used both, the last 4 years I've been using a Cordovan tab form Alaska Bowhunters Supply. I really like it. I've eaten lunch with it on & never been bothered by wearing it. It will let you do the thousands of other things you do with your shooting hand without removing it. I get clean releases with it & am sold on the tab. Frank
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Online Matt Fowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 01:38:00 PM »
I've just started playin' around with a tab and I like it. I think I get a better anchor.

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 02:29:00 PM »
Used glove for a while; switched to a tab and like it much, much more.  I get a cleaner release, can feel the string, find anchor, and don't loose dexterity in my fingers.  I could not run the striker on my slate well with a glove on.
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Offline Hardhed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 03:14:00 PM »
I agree with all the above, a tab gives a much cleaner release and more sense of string position for me than a glove.

Offline rock_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 03:19:00 PM »
I think I'll give the tab a try, at least they are cheap enough!

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 04:24:00 PM »
I have used a glove for years and years.  I tried some different tabs and they just don't feel right.  May I suggest you try before you buy.  Just my 2 cents worth.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 04:29:00 PM »
No opinion on the cleaner release....a clean release is up to the bowhunter not a piece of leather.  6 of one, half dozen of another.  

Glove is harder to lose...and is always in place.  I dont' have to fiddle with it to get it in the right spot to make a shot.  Just never liked tabs...can't keep up with them anyway.

Jeff.....not all gloves are the same.  I don't have a problem ...with one sling of the hand and my fingers are free.

As with most gear...its all subjective...find which one YOU like best...and THAT will be the best for you.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 04:29:00 PM »
I see more votes for the tab. I shoot both. A tab more in the hot summer months, but I like my damascus glove the best. Maybe I haven't found the right tab yet.

When I'm shoot'n, I'm shoot'n. Doesn't bother me to take it off when I have to.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 04:33:00 PM »
I shot a glove for 20 years then one of my buddies who was a better shot than me got me to try a tab and I could see a markedly difference in my shooting. I have been using a tab for the last 30 years. One thing I like is I can turn it to the back side of my hand when climbing and not get it messed up. It is always there ready to go.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2009, 05:28:00 PM »
Tried both glove and tab. Liked the tab best and I've been using a tab for the last 41 years.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline countrygirl

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Charter Member
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2009, 05:36:00 PM »
I play with tabs during 3-D season but when hunting season shows up it's a glove only. It goes on before I leave the truck and stays on until I return.
I have never broke the finger strap, lost or broke a glove while climbing a fence or tree but have gone thru three tabs on one 5 day hunt.
"Gator n 'Dilla Killah"

Offline hawgslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2009, 05:42:00 PM »
:archer:  

Glove works for me. I have more feel and control of the string........  :archer:
HAWGSLAYER

07 BOB LEE HUNTER 49#'S
09 MARTIN 48#'s
CVA ACCURA 50 CAL.
BL/STAINLESS
SEMPER FI

Keep your feathers dry and your nose in the wind and become the predator that we really are.

Offline Mel Amos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2009, 06:38:00 PM »
I started out with a glove, and then I moved to a tab for a while.  Thought my shooting improved.  Then one day I put the glove back on and noticed I shot better with it.  I'm staying with the glove now!  It's like Terry said shoot what you like!
Mel

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2009, 07:15:00 AM »
Glove for me also I tend to shoot heavy poundage bows I love the gloves with a plastic or baleen insert in the finger stalls,they give a nice clean release.Never could get used to a tab I gave them to a bud who swears by them.
Jeff Couture

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©