3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My First Trad Turkey!  (Read 698 times)

Offline Kevin Winkler

• Trad Bowhunter
My First Trad Turkey!
« on: April 27, 2009, 12:55:00 PM »
My quest for a Turkey with traditional equipment was fulfilled Sat. morning.    :bigsmyl:  
23lbs........10 1/4" Beard............1 1/4" & 1 3/16" Spurs

I had been into birds all week, but nothing close enough for me with my recurve. Friday morning my friend Bob and I had two real nice Tom's with four hens around us all morning.........they didn't want anything to do with decoys or any calling. So Sat. morning we located some roosted Tom's and set-up my double bull blind. The weather turned really crappy with the wind and rain, but we planned on staying out the whole day if we had to.

About 9:30 we had a lone hen walk through and we could hear a few gobbles behind us on the ridge.......that morning the birds came off roost a flew the wrong way? Like usual!
We had been passing the time sharing past memories of other hunts.......when Bob whispered that he thought that he heard a strutting tom outside the blind behind me! I peeked through a crack in the blind and sure enough    :eek:    he was only 8 feet from me!
I grabbed my 52# RER recurve, nocked an arrow and quickly got prepared for the shot. Bob wanted to turn on the video camera, but I wouldn't let him, for fear the sound of the camera starting up would spook him. He walked out in front of the blind at 8yds and I drew, picked a spot and came to anchor for about 2 seconds and released....the arrow disappeared though the bird and we agreed the shot looked good!! We waited 1 hour before getting out of the blind to take up the search. We had several periods of hard rain during that hour wait. We looked at the last place we had seen the tom disappear over the rise, we found blood on and game trail but no bird? I was starting to get worried that we wouldn't find him. I found more blood 15 - 20 yds away from the first blood and a spot were he had laid down, now I was getting worried I would loose this bird.
I decided that I would go back to my house and get my hunting buddy....Amos my Springer Spaniel. So a short while latter I am back with Amos and put him on the trail. He worked the area that I had found last blood, but he didn't seem real hot, I was pretty sure a lot of the scent has been washed away. He went behind us to the north along the edge of a cattail swamp 20yds away. Bob shouted that Amos was looking birdie!!
Just like that out from under a clump of dogwood came the Tom! After a short chase through two feet of water and cattails Amos had him pinned to the ground. The bird was almost dead, but had enough left in him to make a final lunge.
Thanks to a two great friends(Amos and Bob!) I was able to recover this bird. The shot ended up just knicking the chest cavity with one blade of my Woodsmen head. What an Awesome hunt! I would have never found that bird had it not been for Amos! I was in tears when I saw he was standing in the swamp with my bird pinned down for me.  Needless to say I want one happy bowhunter! Now I have to help Bob get his bird next week, then I have another tag and I'll see if I can do it again.
PBS Associate, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Life Member, WI Traditional Archers
Life Member, WI Bowhunters Association

Offline trad_admirer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My First Trad Turkey!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 01:07:00 PM »
that's awesome man!!  congrats!  Great bird too!!

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 01:13:00 PM »
Congrats!  Great story!
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 01:17:00 PM »
Great story, I know how you feel, got my first ever bird with a bow, longbow last fall! What kind of bow is in the pic? Tell us more.
samuel koger

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 01:20:00 PM »
Very cool
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 01:28:00 PM »
Very cool story!!! Congrats to you, Bob and Amos!!!  :thumbsup:
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 01:34:00 PM »
:bigsmyl:

Offline JGoemaat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 02:09:00 PM »
Congrats on your first turkey. That is a big acomplishment. That was a great hunt.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 02:36:00 PM »
Way to go Kevin!!!   :thumbsup:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline dan ferguson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 02:44:00 PM »
Way to go, the best thing about turkeys is that everyone you get is about like the first one, they are all a thrill. Great job!!

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 02:57:00 PM »
Very nicely done Kevin, and kudos to your dog.  You're taking to this trad stuff like a duck to water.  :thumbsup:

Offline Irish Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 03:05:00 PM »
Nice story. Congrats to you.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 03:06:00 PM »
Good story and fine looking hound. You both look pretty pleased in the picture.

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 03:36:00 PM »
Congratulation!

Great story
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 03:55:00 PM »
what an awesome hunt and how special to share with two of your good friends.  Thanks for sharing it with the rest of us congrats on the turkey,  After reading all these post about peoples stories of their first trad birds this year i think i have me committed to trad gear for turkey from now on have otr wait for teh fall season though already got mine this spring with tehboom stick.  Hopefully ill be sahring my first trad turkey soon

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2009, 04:00:00 PM »
nice going
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline phatty363

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2009, 04:03:00 PM »
looks like a goood bird man nice pick

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2009, 04:15:00 PM »
Outstanding!!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2009, 04:42:00 PM »
Very cool story.That Amos is a regal looking fella.Hes posing for that pic like he knows hes all that.  :notworthy:

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2009, 04:56:00 PM »
Good story.    Love the dog part.  :thumbsup:
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©