3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Heart Surgery & Shooting Bow  (Read 637 times)

Offline Bobby Castello

• Trad Bowhunter
Heart Surgery & Shooting Bow
« on: April 27, 2009, 07:56:00 PM »
Just got the bad news last week I need to have a bad valve replaced. I'll be having open heart surgery the end of May. Was wondering from any of you that have gone thru this how long before I'll be able to shoot my bow after the surgery. I'm hoping that I'll be OK to hunt this season. (End of September) that will be 3 1/2 months. I'm in good shape and a pretty quick healer. Any chance!
Hunt hard,but have fun!

Offline Dawn Patrol

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Heart Surgery & Shooting Bow
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 08:12:00 PM »
Bobby,I had my aortic valve replaced in Nov.of 07 and six weeks later I was shooting a 60 lb. Longbow. Six months later I was doing 50 push-ups and today I am back to a 300 pound bench press.
They used super glue to close me up and I am pleased with the results.
Be very sure to to talk to your Doc about the difference between taking Warfarin for life or haveing a natural valve.
Feel free to pm me if you want more info,Tom
I put the "stink" in instinctive archery!

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 10:40:00 PM »
Bobby, I had triple bypass surgery on Oct.2 '08.

First two weeks, my sternum had quite a litle "snap, crackle, & pop" until things started to mend.  I followed the surgeon's directions about not lifting too much, balancing loads, etc.  At six weeks, I was given the OK to "try whatever you want; your body will tell you when it's too much"  I shot a 35# bow for a week, 45# for a couple days, and went hunting for the first time with a 50# bow at 8 weeks.  I am now shooting 60-70# bows daily, and had a great 6 month checkup.

I followed cardiac rehab religiously for 8 weeks, until I was released to go back to work...and I've followed a daily regimen of exercise since...

I think a lot of it depends on your commitment to getting yourself back up and at it...I've heard from a number of open-chest surgery patients who have said it was over a year before they felt healthy enough to pull a bow...for me, that wasn't acceptable...

Good luck!  :thumbsup:  

Kevin
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 02:00:00 PM »
^^^
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline Chortdraw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 03:04:00 PM »
I was no young guy when I had my aortic valve replaced and if you follow a good exercise plan and stay with it you should have no problem going hunting. Your first sneeze will be a real trip so it will be up hill from there. Hang on to that pillow......Chortdraw

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 03:21:00 PM »
Can you say OUCH!!!! . Good luck to you Sir.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Bobby Castello

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 06:53:00 PM »
Thanks guys. I needed to hear it from those who went through it.
                   Bobby
Hunt hard,but have fun!

Offline Rod Stiffler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 06:17:00 PM »
Im 52 and had my aortic valve replaced with a mech 1/21/09. I started shooting my 49# recurve in march, a week later my 57# recurve. At 10 weeks i started back with my weight training and my brazilian ju-jitsu classes. At this point I'm doing everything I was before the operation except that my upper body is weaker then it was back then. i have a Diy elk hunt planned in Idaho for Sept. and I also plan on starting back to competeing in my Ju-jitsu in June. I was in excellent shape prior to my operation and that helped. When you start back to shooting don't rush up in poundage as this can cause target panic, been there and done that in '94 with my first valve job. Good luck.

Rod

Offline bow'narrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 09:09:00 PM »
Triple bypass Oct. 4 of 09.  End of November  I shot a bison (with a rifle) 21 below zero. Am now shooting all my bows- even hunting weights.  Am riding my touring bike and mountain bike and working the weights.  Post surgery pain level...you'll be amazed at how comfortable you'll be.  Do just what they tell you.  You'll have a new lease on life.   I'm 73, and my hiking buddies ask me to  wait  up for them.  Celebrate ! Buy a new custom bow.  Got mine from Howard Hill Archery.
no clue how to do this

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 09:24:00 PM »
March of 2002 I had My  aortic valve replaced with a mech. Valve. 2 Months later I had My first defibrillator so I had to wait 6 months till I was about to shoot a bow, because I had to have another defib put in due to the first one being replaced.

Just go by what Your DR tells You what to do. Don't push Yourself. Hell I'm 44 now and I was 37 when I had my surgery.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2009, 10:41:00 PM »
Quadruple by-pass surgery in Feb 08.  The main thing is not to do anything strenuous or lift over 10 lbs for 12 weeks.  You DON'T want to injure the sternum or it won't be pretty.  After that you can shoot all you want, split firewood, lift weights, play golf till your heart's content.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©