3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Heart Surgery & Shooting Bow  (Read 397 times)

Offline Bobby Castello

• Trad Bowhunter
Heart Surgery & Shooting Bow
« on: April 27, 2009, 08:05:00 PM »
Just got the bad news last week I need to have a bad valve replaced. I'll be having open heart surgery the end of May. Was wondering from any of you that have gone thru this how long before I'll be able to shoot my bow after the surgery. I'm hoping that I'll be OK to hunt this season. (End of September) that will be 3 1/2 months. I'm in good shape and a pretty quick healer. Any chance!
Hunt hard,but have fun!

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Heart Surgery & Shooting Bow
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 10:44:00 PM »
I had heart surgery and it takes a long time for your chest bone to heal. I was shooting light weight bows fairly soon but can't remember the exact times. Follow your doctors advice and don't push it and you will be shooting in no time. I would buy a forty pound bow or less to start out with.  Good luck with your surgery.
Remember you can hunt and don't have to shoot anything. Take a walk in the woods, carry a bow if it makes you feel better.

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 11:27:00 PM »
You will have sternal precautions that you must follow after the surgery.

No excessive use of your arms. (No pushing off with your arms when you get out of your chair, or reaching back when you sit down.)   Your doc will probably make you hug a pillow when getting up and down.  Sounds funny, but you'll understand when the time comes.

No lifting more than 5-10lbs.  

No reaching higher than shoulder level..ask for help!!

Most of the patients I treat in therapy, the doctor makes them abide by these rules for anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks. Each person heals diffrently.  But even after that time, you may not feel like pulling a bow for a while. Take it easy.

Like Wollelybugger said, you can hunt without shooting anything. A full recovery is the most important thing, and you don't want to jeopardize it.   Good luck with your surgery!

Offline nightowl1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 11:40:00 PM »
Do EXACTLY what the doc tells you. I'm the guy that you talk to before you go into and after surgery.

You have to let your sternum heal completely before doing to much or they could have to reset it.

There are alot of precautions with these procedures but these docs are amazing and there have been some huge advancements of late.
Combo Hunter 46@28

I came from nothing and I brought it with me.

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 11:52:00 PM »
Good luck Bob. I had my valve repaired Jan. 2004 so I had time to gradually work my way back for the season. Not sure with your time schedule. when I had mine done the Cleveland Clinic used a minimal invasive cut in the sternum which helped.  Now they have been able to go through a rib however I'm not sure if that is available for replacement vs. repair. I'm sure they may have already addressed that with you. Will be thinken of you.

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 06:46:00 AM »
I had my replacement in 1995 and it took about 4 months to get back to a 60# longbow. One thing is you will be grounded for hunting.  Start thinking about hunting from the ground. A bad fall can cause more then broken bones after this repair.
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline billy shipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 09:07:00 AM »
Bobby.....I will PM you.

Billy

Offline david_lewis93

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 09:49:00 AM »
you aregoing to be VERY sore for a long while,I had a quad bypass almost 4 years ago now and i absolutely HATE sneezing ,it feels like I am still getting ripped open so take it easy.

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 10:15:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bobby Castello:
Just got the bad news last week I need to have a bad valve replaced. I'll be having open heart surgery the end of May. Was wondering from any of you that have gone thru this how long before I'll be able to shoot my bow after the surgery. I'm hoping that I'll be OK to hunt this season. (End of September) that will be 3 1/2 months. I'm in good shape and a pretty quick healer. Any chance!
I dont think that is bad news at all. Im glad they caught it in  time, and you will still be walking around, and still be able to spend time with your family!Take it slow and you will be shootin in ni time. Good luck to you, and god bless.
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 11:24:00 AM »
Bobby....  no surgery experience here, but I've gone through several years of health problems and had to make adjustments.  Essentially, I've had major loss of overall body strength plus manipulation problems in my shoulder.   I had to give up shooting bows in my normal weight range of 50#, but I was darned if I'd give up shooting. I found that I could do some very enjoyable 3D and stump shooting with bows as light as 17#!  I'm currently making and shooting longbows at around 30#.   No, it's not hunting weight.   Maybe I'll get to the legal 40# but probably not.   The point is, even at my weakest, I could still go out and shoot and enjoy it.  Hold that thought and once you start shooting again after your surgery, start light and be patient.  Even if you have to miss one season's hunting while you build back up slow, that's better than missing all of them!

Take care.
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline Flt Rck Shtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 03:20:00 PM »
Bobby,
      It could be worse, I'm only 38 years old,and found out I have a bad aortic valve!  I Don't know when they'll replace it, but I'm not having any bad symptoms yet. Thought I just had a heart murmur, but turned out to be this. What a bummer!! Glad to see your post, kinda lets me know what I'm in for. Hope everything goes well for you and keep us informed on your condition.
                    Godspeed your recovery,
                                     James
Chinese Proverb: Never remove a fly from a friends forehead with a hatchet...

Offline Bobby Castello

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 07:04:00 PM »
Thanks so much for the kind words and information.
I did not realize that I posted this twice. I'll take it slow and listen to the Doctors but will have a goal to bow hunt the late season if possible. Just wanted to get some answers from those who have been thru this and know what they are talking about.Thanks again, and James best of luck to you.
               Bobby
Hunt hard,but have fun!

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 08:17:00 PM »
Bobby
Explore less invasive surgery. Theydon't always have to open you up to do a valve. But not all the docs know how or are qualified. Opening the chest takes a long time to heal and never really heals completely.

That said, I think the valve is more important than the bow, even though I hate to say that. Last year I had endocarditis from an infection and a murmur. I have a borderline Mitral valve I was born with and it's the place everything goes. I don't need it replaced yet, but someday........Hoping by that time, they will have perfected the less invasive surgery and everyone will do that. Anyway, I had no strenth at all and could hardly walk once I got done. So I started back last Nov with a 20# bow, then a 25# Wing, (nice thing is that you get to shoot a lot of neat old bows and work on form -- my little guy still shoots the Wing) and each time I went up 3-5 lbs depending on the bow I could find. As I progressed, each step up went faster. 4 weeks to 3 weeks, to 2 weekts etc. So now I'm at 55# and shooting 50 -100 arrows a day like nothing. Patience. And good luck

Sam

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©