3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Brass Inserts for Aluminums UPDATE  (Read 909 times)

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Brass Inserts for Aluminums UPDATE
« on: April 27, 2009, 08:20:00 PM »
Well things are moving along. Dean (Dino) has done a fantastic job and they will be available shortly through 3-Rivers.

Dean sent me some to test the other day and they are perfect the first time. Fit is perfect with the inside of the shaft and to the outside as well. All is flush with field points also. They are also tapped for the PDP weight system as you can see in the photo below.

I tested the 400's and 500's. I used new Legacy 2016/500's as well as some very old 2016 gamegetters and 2117/400's. The extra weight made the arrow's shoot quieter and they hit much harder. I was afraid I would not get good flight by drastically increasing weight up front and may have to cut them to make a shorter stiffer shaft due to the extra weight but was surprised to find they flew great.

Here is the updated cross reference to the four digit shafts

500 = 2016
400 = 2113-2117
340/300 = 2315-2317

This first run will be available in 100 grain only. If they sell more sizes and weights will be produced.

Thanks again Dean on a great job. These are a long time coming.

www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Brass Inserts for Aluminums UPDATE
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 09:51:00 PM »
Yup I couldn't agree more with what TJ posted above.  I got some of the 400's and 340's to try in my 2117 (400) and 2216 (340) and they fit and worked great.  These are a great quality insert that should be avalible very soon.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 09:54:00 PM »
Those look real good.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline ArkyBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 09:56:00 PM »
Tom, those look really good.  Be sure to let us know when 3-Rivers gets them in.  I can't wait to start toying with them on my setups.  Thanks

BOB
"There are some that can live without wild things, and some that cannot."  -  Aldo Leopold

Offline Bowhuntah

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 09:57:00 PM »
Sweet! I can't imagine needing to add more weight to the back of those though.
Everybody loves archery... some just haven't tried it yet.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 10:53:00 PM »
How is he making those? Is he centering a rod, tapping, turning it on a lathe and parting it off?

Looks like a lot of work, but it is intriguing.
Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Curtis Haden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 11:37:00 PM »
That's cool!  Wondered if anyone would ever do that.  One little point to clarify:

Originally posted by KentuckyTJ:
Here is a cross reference to the old shaft sizes. I'm posting these on memory, so Dean or someone else can you make additions or corrections as need be.

340's = ?
400's = 2113-2117
500's = 2016-2020

The 500's = 2016's as stated.
The 400's = 2117's as stated.
The 340's = 2216's? ...2219's? ...can't remember for sure on those.

I do not believe, however, that you can lump say the 2016-2020's together and expect a good insert fit.  They share a common outside diameter, but the wall thickness makes for a different inside diameter.  That's why Easton always provided specific inserts for whatever shaft size you bought.  In other words, an insert that fits perfect in a 2016 will be too large to fit in a 2020.

Regardless, it's still a neat thing that Dean has done here, and they look great.
Rose Oak Ace 41@28
Super Shrew Gold 42@28
Black Widow PCH-X 40@28
Toelke Pika 43@28
_ _ _

A subtle play on words is better than a poke in the eye.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 07:19:00 AM »
Curtis, there actually is a range each series will fit. Now as I said my hair covered computer may be off but there is a range in each size. Dean had sent me a list when I did the autocad drawings for these, I just can't seem to find it now. Hopefully he will clear this up soon.

Killy, they are turned from a solid piece.

Bob send me a p.m. and I'll put your name in with the others that would like to be notified.

T.J.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 07:35:00 AM »
Thanks for the info, TJ. I will be trying these inserts!

Offline Paul Mattson

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 07:47:00 AM »
T.J., Not following you about the New Legacy's?  All of my stock is marked 1916 and up, Easton still is listing it this way on there website.  As far as I know the The new Game Getters are the only shafts marked 300 and up.  Are you saying a 2016 and 2020 will use the same insert?  I use 1913 inserts for the 2020's.   2016 and 2018 Aluminum inserts are not inter changeable.  I will be watching for them and give them a try.

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 08:19:00 AM »
Paul, I think TJ is refering to the size of the insert.  The 2016 arrow size uses the 500 insert.  For now these inserts are only being made in the new Gamegetter shaft sizes (300, 340, 400, & 500).  Because of the wide spectrum of aluminum shaft sizes it would be costly to handle that many different insert sizes.  So they opted to just roll with these sizes for now it see how the market reacted to them for aluminums.

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 08:22:00 AM »
Paul, Tim is correct. Dean had told me and again sent me a list of diameters that the 500's would fit for example and it was a range not just the 2016. I deleted my cross reference figures out of the initial post to end the confusion.
www.zipperbows.com

Offline Paul Mattson

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 08:54:00 AM »
I think I am following everything now.  So they are made for the New Style Game Getters but will also fit the following:  

340/2315 Super Slam
400/2117 Legacy, Stalker or Camo Hunter
500/2016 Legacy, Camo Hunter, Blues or Platinums'

Offline BMG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 09:15:00 AM »
very cool idea, glad to see its coming to fruition.  I would love to use some heavier alums on my elk hunts.  I am curious as to flight characteristics and spine changes when the front end gets loaded up on the front.  I realize that some experimenting will be have to be done.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 09:41:00 AM »
BabaLoo, I had the same thought but mine flew great at the same length with the extra weight up front. I shot them with 100, 125 and 145 grain field points. I couldn't get over how much quieter they flew also.

Tim Fishell, Did you find the same?
www.zipperbows.com

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2009, 11:45:00 AM »
Yes I found the same thing as TJ.  The added weight up front didnt seem to change the dynamic spine of the aluminum.  I shot the same arrows cut to the same length and didnt see much difference in flight pattern.  I havent done much tuning outside of 15-20 yards but I will do a lot more playing this week and I will report my findings.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2009, 02:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by BadgerArrow:
I think I am following everything now.  So they are made for the New Style Game Getters but will also fit the following:  

340/2315 Super Slam
400/2117 Legacy, Stalker or Camo Hunter
500/2016 Legacy, Camo Hunter, Blues or Platinums'
That is exactly it Paul.  We've made these inserts specifically for the new Easton Gamegetter II aluminums, but they do cross to a few other sizes that use the same size inserts but also fit all Easton brand aluminums in those specific sizes too.  The 400 insert will fit shafts in the 2113 thru 2117 sizes.  Also the Gamegetter 340 and 300 which are 2315 and 2317 respectively both use the same insert.

500 = 2016
400 = 2113-2117
340/300 = 2315-2317

We are looking at having stock within a couple of week barring any unforseen delays.  I'll let T.J. know and get it posted here plus they will be on 3Rivers' website.  dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2009, 10:05:00 AM »
Thanks Dean.
www.zipperbows.com

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2009, 11:15:00 AM »
Will the 500/2016 work in a 2018?

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2009, 07:18:00 AM »
Same question as JimB.

2018? Will the 500 work in them?