3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Grizzly vs. Abowyer Broadheads  (Read 1242 times)

Offline IronCreekArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Grizzly vs. Abowyer Broadheads
« on: April 27, 2009, 11:11:00 PM »
Ok guys let the voting begin...who makes the better single bevel regardless of price...Grizzly or Abowyer?
We do not rise to the occasion.  We fall to our level of training.

Offline Michael Peschek

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Grizzly vs. Abowyer Broadheads
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 11:49:00 PM »
Use the search feature and you will get a lot of information about both of these broadheads.

Offline tradwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 11:13:00 AM »
I think the grizzly has the toughest, hardest steel making them the BEST. BUT, the grizzly takes the most amount of work to prepare them to the "Ashby" recommendations making them the WORST.
IMHO
Rob
PS-I don't believe any stainless broadhead from anyone is as hard and tough as the grizzly.If you research knife blade materials you will find that most stainless can not match the best "non stainless" such as D2 for hardness and toughness. Samuria swords were not stainless.

Offline Jason Jelinek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 01:14:00 PM »
they are both 52c.

Offline Steel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 01:53:00 PM »
They are both good heads but to me the Abowyer are just higher end mainly because they are more of a finished product ready to hunt when you get them. The Grizzlys are cheaper and if you have the time/skill to sharpen them you will have a fine broadhead for less money.

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 02:26:00 PM »
Never shot the Abowyers but its hard to beat a Grizzly.  Takes a little patience and practice to put an edge on but well worth it. Plus a curved tooth file to reset the initial bevel helps a lot.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 03:13:00 PM »
Proabably much like the bows discussed here at TG.  Some like one and some like the other.  I would get a package of both heads and see which works best for you.  I like the Abowyer a little more but mainly because I don't have the patience or skill set to put a proper edge on a Grizzly.  I have friends who do though- and they swear by them.
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 04:10:00 PM »
As said - 6 to one have dozen to the other - but I like 160 grizzles but never tried the Abowyer so cannot give a proper vote. Grizzles take work and should come altered up but then again you really do not have to follow that rule? I just think if Mr Ashby went through all that hard trouble I should follow the guideline set forth for optimum performance!

Seriously I file the edge down that is about all I do for them - takes a bit but Ron at Sharpster is getting my next pack! let him do the work!!!!

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 08:44:00 PM »
Both are great heads but I have to say the Abowyer is by far the better of the two.

Grizzlies are two piece heads that are stamped, and brazed together. The blade thickness at the forward end is about .050

The Abowyers are constructed from one solid blade that's around .075-.080 thick and the precision machined ferrule is welded into the blade.

Like I said, both are great heads but the Abowyers are anti-tank heads and IMHO they are the best single bevel heads for the money available anywhere.

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 09:21:00 PM »
I have both.  Technicalities be as they may I have found no practical difference between the modified Grizzly and the bone stock ABowyer.  

Of course you must modify the Grizzly to the desired 175 grain weight with the 25 degree angle, I can do this easy so it is not really an issue.
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 09:50:00 PM »
The Abowyer is very easy to sharpen with Sharpster's tools
DonD

Offline see

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 10:05:00 PM »
killed 3 deer this past fall,all with the abowyer, 145g with 75 g threaded inserts.i've already bought 6 more for the fall season.grissly's are a pain to put a 25 degree bevel on.
see

Offline last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009, 09:10:00 AM »
To me these heads perform equaly in the field, so it is a matter of time versus money.  Would you rather have the 2 hours it will take to put a proper bevel on the 6 pack of grizzlys by hand or the extra 40 dollers it will cost to buy 6 abowyers.  Once you have the initial sharpening of the grizzlys done they resharpen about the same as the abowyers. Figure in the personal satisfaction you get out of preparing your broadheads and you have your answer.  Also note, that if you do not have a good quality file, grinder or sander necessary to put the initial edge on the grizzly,the cost difference is less.
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2009, 09:39:00 AM »
What Sharpster said....
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2009, 10:21:00 AM »
I have both-   abowyer much better prepared overall- sharper,seems to be stronger and comes in both left and right bevels.  I just bought a doz.  brown bears and am just really impressed.

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2009, 10:25:00 AM »
Originally posted by IronCreekArcher:
Ok guys let the voting begin...who makes the better single bevel regardless of price...Grizzly or Abowyer?
How can you vote and ignore price, I go through a dz or 2 broadheads per year, so like most Amarican's, I want the Best for the least amount of money.

I can buy 6 grizzly's for around $20 bucks for the 160 & $23 bucks for 6 El Grande's, or $40 for 3 Abowyers, now if it comes with a little African tracker that jumps out of the box and finds my animal for me, I want 10dz.

I have not shot the Abowyer and it does look to be bomb proof, however is it twice as good? because it cost twice as much.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2009, 10:35:00 AM »
Originally posted by Kingwouldbe:
How can you vote and ignore price
Easy Dave...

Just pretend like they are free and answer the man's question like Sharpster did....    :bigsmyl:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2009, 11:26:00 AM »
King, I think the Abowyer probably is twice as good - as far as design and construction is concerned..

Now whether they'll kill your animals twice as dead, hmm...

But me, I like value and quality.  I think the Abowyer's offer those, I'm going to use them.

Offline Jason Jelinek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2009, 12:02:00 PM »
Kingwouldbe,

Abowyers are about 3 times as much, $40 for 3 (or $80 for 6) versus $28 for 6 grizzlies.

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2009, 12:09:00 PM »
Green-T, Oh pretend lol    :D  Then I think I'll have to go with the Aboyers

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©