3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: what changes?  (Read 387 times)

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
what changes?
« on: April 28, 2009, 11:39:00 AM »
I do 99% of my huntign from tree stands from 12 to 25 feet up this is going to be my first year hunting with my recurve and was wondering if anything changes when it comes to shooint from an elevated postion.  DO you need to look lower than you want to hit? etc  once summer gets here ill start shooting from elevations but i thought id ask and get some insight thanx   :campfire:    :archer:

Offline saltwatertom

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: what changes?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 12:12:00 PM »
I've never hunted from a stand, but as far as advice, there is some on the MMOBB vids. At least on #1 and #2, I haven't made it to #3 yet.

BTW, great videos!
"There is always luck about, for those willing to look for it"

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 12:14:00 PM »
It is the same, bend at the waist and you can use the same anchor as if you are standing on the ground.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 12:31:00 PM »
I'm like wolley - I just bend at the waist and don't think about it any differently than any other shot.  

Practice drawing when you set up your stand to make sure you have clearace for the bow limbs and your drawing elbow so that you don't have to worry about that at the moment of truth.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 02:00:00 PM »
High hits or misses out of tree stands are as much a result of visual misperception as shooting technique.  The critter looks smaller from above so we tend to overjudge distance.  Also, the eye tends to be attracted to center of the animal's body, up/down.  From the ground, center body will take out the lungs.  From above, it's a pretty high shot, and if one shoots just a little high on top of that, it becomes a bad shot real fast.
The higher in the tree, the more acute the shot angle and the smaller the target for a killing shot becomes.  These are the reasons I don't like to get my feet more than 12-14 feet off the ground.

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 02:52:00 PM »
I didn't do anything different than I did with my compound from a treestand.  20 feet is about as high as I go though.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 03:21:00 PM »
thanks for the input guyess i kind of figured that things would be the same as shooting the compound, keep everythign teh same bend at the waist it wont be long and ill be up off the ground letting arrows fly

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©