3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: questions about shrews????????  (Read 598 times)

Offline jimmerc

• Trad Bowhunter
questions about shrews????????
« on: April 28, 2009, 06:09:00 PM »
I'm  thinking on a new bow in the near future, a shrew, questions are, what is the differences between the super shrew and the classic hunter?? I'm not looking for fancey just the base price bow!! question number 2, are they a fast bow or at least faster than my monarch giving pound for pound being equal ?  I will order the same poundage i shoot now( 59@28) but looking for at the most a 58"!! my monarch is 68"  From what I've read on here they are smooth drawing and very quiet, but nothing said about speed! I'm not looking to gain in speed but don't want to lose any, any gains would be a bonus!!
1- kajika stik combo,RC 55@28/LONGBOW 57@28 Both W/diamondback skins

1- monarch longbow royal 68" 59@28
1- bear kodak hunter-44@28

Offline elkslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: questions about shrews????????
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 07:22:00 PM »
Question one is the riser in the Classic is shorter than the SS and far as your draw length goes you can shoot either one no matter what it might be. I know of guys with the classic and 30"draw. Ron will say the same thing. You will get better performance out of the classic with a shorter draw length. The ss was made to please the 30 plus guys so they didn't get and pinch at full draw. If you have a 28" draw I would go with the Classic. Far as speed I think they are a little quicker than my older bows and they are quiet. Hope this helps. If all else fails call and talk to Ron he will tell you what he feels you should get with your specs.

Offline jimmerc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 08:06:00 PM »
Thanks Dave and elkslayer, i've been looking at these bows for over a year now, it's the only bow out there that has caught my eye! it wasn't untill resentaly that i've started thinking about a purchase of one!!  my draw is 29" sounds like it wouldn't matter which of the two  bows, but when i'm ready I will talk to Ron!! thanks again! Jim
  oh, and Dave I have to wait till friday to get out and after them turkeys,that's our opener here in new york, and man am I clawing at the walls to get out there!!  good luck to ya bud!!

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 08:10:00 PM »
I will see what I can do to add to your confusion.  Like Elkslayer said the Classic Hunters have a shorter riser than the Super Shrews.  The 52" and 54" Classic have a 12" riser, the 56" Classic has a 14" riser, and the 56", 58", & 60" Super Shrews have a 16" riser.  That being said with a 28" draw or less you can shoot any of the bows.  With a 29" draw I would recommend either the 54 or 56 Classic or a 58 or 60 Super.  And a 30" plus draw I would go with either the 56" Classic or 60" Super.  

As far as speed they are not speed demons but can hold there own.  I chronoed one of my 53#@28" Shrews with a 550 grain arrow at around 165-170 fps drawing close to 28".  I am not sure what your Monarch shoots so you will have to do the comparing.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline jimmerc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 08:31:00 PM »
Tim thanks, you drew up a good pic there for me, as far as speed, i've never cronoed the monarch,just go by feel, i like 685 to 700 gn arrows out of her my guess is i'm pulling close to 61 or 62 lbs at my draw, but she really rocks those 3d targets, I  still  have yet to take my first longbow harvest, only my second year of hunting with longbows!!

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 10:19:00 PM »
I prefer the SS, just seem to shoot it better but I think the classic has a little more speed.  I have a 58" SS and a 56" CH, I could go shorter with the CH but bows shorter than 56" scare me.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 11:56:00 PM »
The shorter riser of the CH gives longer working limbs in comparison to the overall bow length. There are guys out there (like BobW) with 32" draw lengths shooting 56" Classic Hunters. Personally, I don't see any disadvantage to the CH and several advantages. Gregg favors the CH, and I think Ron probably does too. I would recommend the CH over the SS. If you are interested in keeping the speed as high as possible, I would also suggest foam cores and carbon backing. For traveling archers the Bow Bolt takedown option is definitely desirable. The Shrews are not the fastest bows around, but they are not dogs either. The foam/carbon bows will be plenty fast. With a 29" draw length Ron would recommend a 56" CH, but I have a 29 1/2" draw and can tell you that either a 54" or a 56" CH will suit you just fine. I have some in both lengths and can't say I like one better than the other. I like the shorter length of the 54", but the 56" is a little smoother in the draw. Perhaps Tim Fishell has a 54" CH with a 12" riser, but I just measure my two 54" and two 56" CH's and all of them had 14" risers. I don't have a 52" CH and it may very well have a 12" riser length. You can always check with Gregg Coffey to get the very best information on riser lengths. I think Gregg will steer you towards those who shoot Shrews on a regular basis to tell you what would work best for you at your 29" draw length. Of course, the best thing would be to shoot both and decide for yourself. I do love my Shrews -- all 6 of them and 2 more on order. I also have a bunch of other bows that are great too, but no others that are so nice to shoot while being very light, short, extremely handy, and easy to carry all day.

Allan

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 07:29:00 AM »
Allan, here is a quote right from the Shrew website about the riser lengths.  I asked Gregg when he made the first 56" Classic Hunter and he said he made that with a 14" riser.

"The Super Shrew with it's 16" riser dictates that we keep our bow  length  between 56" to 60".  What we have done with the "Shrew Classic"  is shorten the riser to 12" and redesign the limb to make a shorter 52" or 54" longbow.  People who like short bows for hunting are really going to like this little dynamo. It has the same form fitted grip that is on all of the other current Shrews plus it will come with a 450+ performance enhancing string."

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Java Man

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 07:44:00 AM »
Riser lengths on the Classic Hunters are 14".  The first few had a 12" riser, but was then lengthened to 14".  

Gregg
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 07:54:00 AM »
Gregg, did you change that on all of them when you started making the 56" Classic?  Just curious what the purpose was for making the riser longer on the 52" and 54" bows.  Was it just so you had one common riser length for that bow so you could make them all on the same form?

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 10:12:00 AM »
I am a shrew shooter for the past several years, Super Shrews 59 and 61 pounds @28" in a 58" bow.  Like you I also draw an arrow over 29".

I just got a new Classic 56" 60 pounds @29" with carbon limbs and foam core with a bow bolt.  I can not detect any significant difference in the performance of these bows(even though the carbon limb bow is a few pounds lighter)  I have another one on order for the end of June and I expect to get that one about 6 pounds heavier.  They push a 725 grain carbon shaft with plenty of thump and you will not be disappointed with the results compared to any bow I have seen.  I could not be more pleased with a bow.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 03:19:00 PM »
John,

I'm glad to hear you like the foam/carbon/BowBolt CH. I can hardly wait to get mine in July. I would like to know your recipe for the 725 grain carbon arrows as I am putting some heavier arrows together.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline jimmerc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009, 04:53:00 PM »
Ok you guys are really giving me the itch here!! I know I love the looks of these bows,and the thought of a shorter bow for hunting really sells me, but now i'll have to decide which one to get!!   :banghead:  waiting on one for over a year will not be a problem as i'm a hunter!!

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2009, 05:07:00 PM »
Just phone Ron - he will be happy to unconfuse you - You will change your mind on things before it's built anyway....type of wood length etc...atleast I did...must drive him crazy

Jer Bear

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2009, 05:41:00 PM »
You will change your mind on things before it's built anyway....type of wood length etc...atleast I did...must drive him crazy  
Nope...not at all....   :smileystooges:    :banghead:    :biglaugh:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2009, 08:52:00 PM »
Allan (and anyone else wanting a heavy carbon arrow)
I just got out my reloading scale and weighed these components.
I start with a 5/16 carbon shaft (Cabelas Hunter or Xtreme) 9.3 gr per inch X 30 inches = 279 gr
100 gr brass insert
100 gr broadhead adapter
160 gr STOS broadhead
1/4" X 7" ramin dowel sanded down to fit inside the shaft as footing. These were much faster and easier to make than I thought they would be using a 4" wide belt sander.( See perfect arrow thread a couple months ago) weighs  36 gr
14 inches of self adhesive reflective tape for a high visibility arrow wrap 26 gr.
4 4" parabolic feathers and lighted nock 38 gr.
Comes to grand total of 729 gr. plus the fletch tape and epoxy that I did not weigh (probably 5-6 gr.)  

Resonable priced, heavyweight, durable, footed, extreme FOC arrows that shoot good out of a 60lb+ shrew.

Offline One eye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2009, 09:18:00 AM »
You guys are KILLING me!  I just bought a used SS off the classifieds last night, and now I "must" go the website and check out these CHs.  I have seen some pictures on here of Osage accented Shrews that have been calling to me anyway.

BTW, if my wife asks anyone, please reinforce the word "must" used above   :pray:
“IMVHO, the cast is not in the wood it is cradled in the arms of the bowyer.” – George Tsoukalas

Offline NW Jamie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2009, 12:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by Missouri Sherpa:
I am a shrew shooter for the past several years, Super Shrews 59 and 61 pounds @28" in a 58" bow.  Like you I also draw an arrow over 29".

I just got a new Classic 56" 60 pounds @29" with carbon limbs and foam core with a bow bolt.  I can not detect any significant difference in the performance of these bows(even though the carbon limb bow is a few pounds lighter)  I have another one on order for the end of June and I expect to get that one about 6 pounds heavier.  They push a 725 grain carbon shaft with plenty of thump and you will not be disappointed with the results compared to any bow I have seen.  I could not be more pleased with a bow.
Ok all of you with multiple Shrew's; for those of us waiting on the list to get our first one I do hope that you understand that we know the anxiety that you must go through every day trying to decide which one to shoot today! All kidding aside after talking to Ron I have chosen the Clasic Hunter but am still a ways out on the list. So if you multiple owners have trouble chosing which one to shoot, I would be willing to exersize any of your unused shrew's since it is important to keep them all in well used shape.
Regard’s,
Jim

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©