3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: why didn't fibreglass arrows become popular??  (Read 912 times)

Offline Markus77

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: why didn't fibreglass arrows become popular??
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2009, 02:54:00 AM »
I havent shoot any fiberglass arrows, but I have not found a durable carbon arrow yet. They brake for anything, pushing the judo or blunthead into the shaft.The best so far is Beman ICS bowhunter 340, and the worst "traditional only" from 3rivers. Which carbonarrows do you use that are really durable?

Offline Old York

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2009, 09:37:00 AM »
I wish Gordon still made their Glashafts. The ones I have are tough, straight, and 'heavy'. Some are footed with an aluminium 1-1/2" stub and they're almost indestructible.

Sure, they split and have spine & weight variances like carbons; you just don't have to stuff 'em with weight tubes LOL!
"We were arguing about brace-height tuning and then a fistmele broke out"

Offline turkey65

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2009, 10:26:00 AM »
I've been shooting microflites since the fifties, very durable and always straight. I solved the splitting problem by inserting a dowel right up to the insert this way if you hit something hard there wasn't any give and it with stood the impact. I still use the remaining I have and with the shaft sleeved and broadhead installed on a #8 shaft total weight comes out to 650 grains, talk about penetration and a quiet bow? Being a member of the old fart club I'll continue to buy and use any I can find at yard sales etc.Used them all Graphflex, Browning, Herters, Durashaft, and others not well known microflites are the best.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2009, 10:38:00 AM »
If you like shooting glass shafts you can still purchase off gbay new old stock Tough Tips sold by Bear Archery.Its a small sleeve that goes on between the head and the insert.It slip over the shaft about 1/4-3/8 inch to prevert spliting.bd

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2009, 11:27:00 AM »
Fiberglass arrows started fading out about the time the the mechanical bows came on the scene-mid '70's.Nobody wanted heavy arrows.

Offline Old York

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2009, 12:31:00 PM »
JimB nailed it, dead on.

Easton even started marketing their aluminiums with "Standard", "Lite", "SuperLite", "UltraLite". Super hi-speed arrows, smacking deer with a dust-mote, go figure.
"We were arguing about brace-height tuning and then a fistmele broke out"

Offline 44charlie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2009, 04:44:00 PM »
got my best buck ever with a glass arrow and they make great takedown arrows! i still have one from the first dozen i ever owned!

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2009, 07:49:00 AM »
imo, there's nothing that wrong about the glass shafts i used to use, way back when - micro-flite and gordon.  if micro-flites were available today at a price point equal to, or less, than beman ics carbons, i'd definitely be in queue to buy a few dozen for my heavier draw weight bows.  

for whatever reasons as to why they were all terminated, it's a moot point at this date and time.  it would probably be a risky marketing venture to tool up for glass shafts today, and even with mass production the retail cost would be at least equal to carbon shafting.  

if glass shafting does emerge on the market, i think carbon will still outsell glass because, imo, carbon shafts will always be lighter than glass shafts (comparing spine) and that allows a huge latitude range of front end weights for really high foc arrows.    

ymmv.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline bear1336

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2009, 06:34:00 AM »
I sure had a lot of great hunts using mico flite arrows.  Sure would like to have a couple doz no 6 or 7 arrows.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with bible in hand and loudly proclaim...WOW...What a Ride!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©