3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 3 Bundle String Question  (Read 455 times)

Offline Coachy

• Trad Bowhunter
3 Bundle String Question
« on: April 29, 2009, 02:39:00 AM »
When making a 3 bundle string , do the bundles have to have the same number of strands in them ? IE, if I was to make a 14 strand string , could I have 6+4+4  strand bundles ?
  I personally thought they would all have to be even .
 Cheers
   Jeff

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 3 Bundle String Question
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 06:08:00 AM »
Wouldn't the bundles end up being different lengths because of the small difference in diameter would be multiplied every time you wrapped it around the other two?
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline CJC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 06:56:00 AM »
they should all be the same.  it is crucial that the bundle tension is equal in a 3-bundle string, so when the string twists up it is uniform.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 07:51:00 AM »
When I do 3-bundle they are all the same,a 12 strand is 4 strands in each bundle,15 strand is 5 strands per bundle and so forth.3 doesn't go into to 14 evenly.Each seperate bundle should be even in strands.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 09:01:00 AM »
3x5 would be a 15 strand string.  You could try a 5-5-4; it would be pretty close altho I also feel even bundles would be best.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 10:32:00 AM »
Coachy, why not a 2 ply string with 7 strands each? Alot less time and just as good! Give it a try, Good shootin, Steve

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 10:53:00 AM »
AHHHH the trad police are at it again!! If a flemmish string is made correctly all strands should be under the same tension. Doesnt matter the strands or bundles. Two and three bundles strings are just easier to make. How about 4x4strand bundles or 5x3strand bundles,6x2strand bundles. All would work just as well but just harder to juggle when twisting up. If you want a 6-4-4 just make it and shoot it.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 11:15:00 AM »
Last year I made a 12 strand 6x6 with each bundle having 3 strands of ff and 3 of Dacron. Very quiet and quick. All said it would fail. They are still wrong.

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 12:12:00 PM »
I just do a two bundle and add an accent of whatever color I like of B-50 Dacron to each lay...Say if it's a 14 strand string with 7 tan and seven black then I would cut a pc. of yellow or red and add one strand to the tan and one to the Black and when you twist it it would kind of give the look of a three bundle and now you have a 16 strand...Use your imagination and color choice...I think string accents really make a bow stand out with an accent that matchs one that's in the bow...Also you could do a different color to each lay and it gives you four different colors in the string...God Bless, Keefers <")))><

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 02:38:00 PM »
I agree with CJC, but it has absolutely nothing to do with being "traditional".  Sure, it's going to look better, but it will also perform better, stretch/creep less, and be quieter if made properly.  Makes no more sense to shoot a junky string than shooting a bow that's way off in tiller, or an arrow that's way off in spine, etc.

I don't know of any advantages to using more than two bundles, other than colors.

Chad

Offline Coachy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 08:06:00 PM »
Cheers Fellas , I was just asking to confirm that I was right , as I believe each bundle should have the same amount of strands in it regardless whether it is a 2 bundle or 6 bundle string .
 The  6+4+4 strand bundles were an example of what someone else does , I personally make my strings with 2 bundles with the same amount of strands in each .
  Jeff

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 10:22:00 PM »
Trick question, hu!

Offline Coachy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, 03:00:00 AM »
Not really a Trick question ,, just wanted confirmation and more advice   :D