3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: refinishing old bear kodiak  (Read 1529 times)

Offline campbell8512

• Trad Bowhunter
refinishing old bear kodiak
« on: April 29, 2009, 08:22:00 AM »
I just bought one the other day and its got done dings and scratches. I was wondering if this is easily done and how you would go about doing it. Or if its not that expensive taking it somewhere?

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: refinishing old bear kodiak
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 09:11:00 AM »
Go here on this site to--Trad/History Forum, click on Restoration 101, All you will need to know and then some.
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Offline Timberghost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 09:28:00 AM »
I've re-finished a few bows and I've sent them off to be re-finished as well. Only you can decide if it will be worth the time and effort or expense of sending it off for refinishing.  

Here are a couple of things to consider:

1) Is the bow in good, serviceable condition as is? Is it shootable and safe to use as is? Perhaps it is not very pretty but is it serviceable?

2) A lot of sanding may reduce the draw weight of the bow.  Is this acceptable?  

3) Keep in mind that removing all the decals from a vintage Bear Recurve reduces the bow's value considerably.

4) If this is a Bear recurve with GREEN GLASS, this fiber glass is very grainy, brittle,  and splintery. Be careful. Difficult to work with. There are going to be striations in the green glass which may not come out at all. The black glass is much denser and much easier to work with. I simply don't care to work with the green fiberglass. Others might...

Here is how I re-finish a bow:

PREP WORK:

Write down the bow's specs on a piece of paper somewhere - serial #, AMO info,  etc.

Wear leather or cotton gloves.

1) Remove the old finish with a Medium Grit sand paper or sanding sponges.  Don't use too course a grit becaues it can cause the fiberglass to splinter. AVOID using a chemical stripper on the bow as it may permeate between the laminations, degrade the epoxy bond,  and cause your limbs to start de-laminating.  

2) Sand the entire bow with a fine grit sand paper. Focus on sanding out the deep dings and scratchess.

3) Sand entire bow with a very fine grit sand paper.

4) Repeat with an extra fine grit sand paper.

5) Repeat and continue stepping down until you are at @ 900 or even 1200 grit. Especially the fiber glass.  We want to make sure we get ALL the chips, splinters,  cracks, or blemishes out of the glass.  

6) Obtain after market replacement decals if desired and available. But don't put them on the bow until after the first two or three coats of finish.

7) Clean entire bow well with denatured alcohol and let dry well.

8) Write the bow's spec info back on the bow. Wear cotton glove liners. Avoid finger prints and oil from your hands and fingers.

FINISHING

I have used several different spray finishes in aerosol cans. Some with very good results and some with very disappointing results...  My favorite is the Min Wax Poly Clear in the Blue can.  Its expensive - @ 9 bucks a can and you will need at least 2 cans but it is flexible enough when dry to be used on a bow. The Semi Gloss is fine. Shake the can frequently thoughout finishing and between coats.

The same stuff in a pint or quart can used in a professional air compressor spray gun is good stuff too. Perhaps you know someone with a wood shop or paint shop who will let you use his paint room and/or equipment or might simply spray the thing for you...

1) I hang the bow from one limb tip using floss or fishing line in a loop around the string grooves.

2) Spray very light,  multiple coats of finish. Don't worry about missing spots.  You'll get them on the next pass.  When I say multiple coats,  I mean 10 or 15 very light coats.  This is not a quick process. Don't hold the can too close to the bow while spraying.  You want each of the coats to be more of an "overspray" than a "direct spray".  This will prevent runs and build ups.

3) Use long, even strokes up and down the length of the bow. Let the finish dry somewhat between coats.

4) When you have used the first can,  let the finish dry and harden for at least 3 days before starting the second can.

5) On day 4, GENTLY wipe the bow down with 000 steel wool.  Wear cotton glove liners or hold the bow with a cotton handkerchief to do this so you avoid getting oil and prints from your hands and fingers on the bow.  Make sure you don't leave steel wool splinters on the bow.  Wipe down with clean cotton cloth (maybe a cloth diaper)to remove steel wool shavings.

6) Repeat steps 1 through 4.

7) On Day 8, repeat step 5 using 0000 steel wool this time and you are done.

Anyway,  that's how I have done it in the past. Works for me.  

If there are any re-finishing gurus out there with more knowledge and experience and better techniques in mind,  please speak up.  I am a self taught re-finisher and I don't mind (and do appreciate) getting tips and guidance from those who know more about it than I do.
The toughest thing I've found about deer hunting is getting them to hold still long enough for me to stick an orange spot on them and then step off the yardage...

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 09:49:00 AM »
Timber Ghost thats pretty dang good in a nutshell!

2 tips
Instead of steel wool, use the green plastic scrubbie's, no steel wool splinters/dust to mess with.

Use a cabinet scaper or back of a knife to remove originial finish, this one saves a lot of time.

Have fun refinishing it

Offline Timberghost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 09:58:00 AM »
Green Plastic Scrubbies... Never though of that Kurt! Thanks Dude!
The toughest thing I've found about deer hunting is getting them to hold still long enough for me to stick an orange spot on them and then step off the yardage...

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 10:04:00 AM »
wow thats a trip........bd

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 10:30:00 AM »
Don
Thats not a trip, that is the straight dope from the man.( or should I say the Doctor?)
Donnie
That comes from one of those guru types that help lotsa folks out

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 01:30:00 PM »
only thought I have is I've never had a draw weight reduction.If there is a bit of reduction from removing the original finish it should return to scale weight once there is new finish put on ??? bd

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 01:41:00 PM »
bd, he was recommending sanding out all blemishes in the glass.

We want to make sure we get ALL the chips, splinters, cracks, or blemishes out of the glass
Depending on what the blemishes are, that could reduce the weight considerably and would need to be done evenly across the whole limb.  Not something a beginner would/should be doing.

I'm with you, removing the original finish and repairing any blemishes shouldn't reduce the weight, as you're not removing glass.

Ryan, a simple refinish is relatively easy to do.  A really excellent job refinishing... well, that's something else entirely  :)
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Timberghost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 01:50:00 PM »
Agreed.  I edited my post to say, "a lot of sanding may reduce the draw weight". I lost a couple of pounds off of my old Bear Black Bear by refinishing it multiple times - had to learn somewhere...

Offline JSimon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 03:17:00 PM »
Good advice. I'm in the process of refinishing a Ben Pearson Hunter. I have the riser fully sanded and I'm working on the glass.

Can you buy cabinet scrapers at local hardware stores, etc. or do you pretty much have to order them? Would the back edge of a piece of hack saw blade work?

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 03:23:00 PM »
I have a much simpler method than Timbergost.

Ship it to BowDoc or Droptine59, wait about 6 months.

Wallah....done.  Easy, huh.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009, 03:49:00 PM »
I would have to agree with Papalapin. Knowing me I would kill a bow trying to "refinish" it.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2009, 03:52:00 PM »
If I had he talent, the patience, and the time, I would do it Timbergost's way, but I know it would not turn out like he, Bowdoc, or Droptine would do it.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline martin guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2009, 11:39:00 PM »
I have had good luck using Stanley razor blades as scrapers, you have to be careful though!

Andy

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2009, 10:45:00 AM »
any hardware store should have scrapers.However you do want to be super careful using scrapers to remove finish from the limbs and limb edges.If you have the smallest tinniest splinter that scraper will normaly break them off and thats not so good.And removing corewood and or glass from the edges of the limbs WILL reduce draw weight real fast too.I find it far better to sand the old finish off the limbs.The riser don't matter much as there is a little extra stock on most handle sections.bd

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2009, 02:12:00 PM »
I'll try an add a couple tidbits..

1. When scraping always scrape from the riser to the tip. Going the other way you can snag the end fibers a splinter them out as Doc said.

2. I would try and fill dings with LT before sanding..
Sanding out dings you will reduce the area around the ding to the depth of the ding, and when you refinish it, the surface will be not be flat and smooth..

Functionally it could be compared to cutting a ring your chasing. The whole idea is to remove the finish without removing any glass.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline campbell8512

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2009, 10:08:00 AM »
Thanks alot guy. I picked the bow up for 75 bucks and had no knowledge of bows what so ever. i come home and check it out online and boy am i suprised haha. I had a blast bowfishing with it this weekend. ive just been chasing my arrow down cause the water is so shallow. I dont think im gonna be able to bring myself to put a hole in it for a reel tho

Offline Ruby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2016, 12:43:00 AM »
Another easy spray on finish/paint is Krylon's clear Fusion. It also has UV protection. It is flexible and wears like iron if left to cure for about a week before use.
My name is  Lama Yammine.
Hope this link can help you find the  best recurve bow for price   :archer2:  
Thanks for visit my site.

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2016, 03:37:00 PM »
It's certainly doable by yourself.  Here's a before and after Super K, my first restoration.

Before (notice yellowed finish, white glass all had a yellow hue to it):

After, coloration pops back in riser and limbs are black again and new decals pop out.  I used wipe on Hellsman Water Based Poly on all my restorations and it worked fine.  If you have a sprayer, great, but not a requirement for quality looking bow.

One final comment, it's a good idea to take a picture of the specs if taking the complete finish off the bow, however, if you've printed an extra large picture of it out for reference, keep in mind the scale of the print. I re-inked my specs a little large on the first bow because I was going in reference to the enlarged picture. Otherwise, I was very satisfied.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©