3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sponsor a Kids Bow - ***Donation Goal Has Been Met***  (Read 740 times)

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Sponsor a Kids Bow - ***Donation Goal Has Been Met***
« on: April 29, 2009, 02:28:00 PM »
My thanks go out to Terry and the TradGang for supporting the Traditional archery community and allowing this post.

Over the past several years, a group of people have made rattan kid's bows at Cloverdale and other gatherings.  This was the brainchild of Dean Torges.  We skipped last year at Cloverdale for several reasons but one of them was because the effort and cost required became concentrated on too few people.  I want to change that and I need your help.

***DONATION GOAL HAS BEEN MET***  First off, I need supplies and for this I need(ed) funds.  Thank you to everyone for your generosity in sponsoring this program.  I am astounded by the good will of everyone.  I have more than met my donation goal so I don't need any more money right now.  Thanks again!!!

My plan is to make about 40 bows.  If I get 40 sponsors, there will likely be money left over.  I'll simply roll that over to next year's or maybe other gathering's supplies.  I will provide an accounting to anyone who is interested.  I get requests throughout the year for bows too so I will use any excess funds for those.  

Each sponsor will get recognition of their choice on a poster or sign (anyone know a signmaker?) I will put up at Cloverdale.  A neat idea would be to do this in recognition/memory of the person who gave you your start in archery or hunting.

***I have canopies!***  Second, I need(ed) two 10'x10' (or one 10'x20') E-Z Up style pop-up canopies for about 6 hours on Saturday morning (June 13th).   Let me know if you can help with this.

Third, I need some labor.  

Before the shoot:
I plan to have about half of the bows done before the shoot.  If you live in the Indianapolis area, I would love to have some help getting this done.  We can work out schedules.

Arrows:  I need 120 1/4" arrows.  3 fletch with field points.  24" long is fine.  A well-selected 48" dowel works fine for 2 arrows.  I can supply you with the pieces parts but I'd prefer to reimburse you for the cost.  If necessary, I can order them and have them shipped to you.  If you aren't going to the shoot, you'll need to ship finished arrows to me.  Of course, we save money if you come to the shoot.  It's worth it just for the meat fest on Saturday night so please consider that.

The Saturday morning of the shoot:  
From 9:00 - 12:00 I need about 10 people to help with setup, laying out the bows, making strings and tillering the bows, etc.  

I need a couple younger people to decorate and add handle wraps/arrow rests.  Creative teenagers are good at organizing a couple kids for this.  

I need a couple people to pass out bows and then a someone or two to help the kids with shooting the bows.  We will have a foam board with balloons.  

No prior experience is necessary for any of these tasks.  If you've ever tillered a bow, that is helpful for that task.  I will have a training session (such as it is) before we start.

At 10:00 I want to do a fairly quick but thorough demo of the bowmaking process.  My goal is to inspire folks to do this in their communities.  I will pass out Dean's article on the process afterwards.  We will then make 20 or so bows.  I plan to be done in a couple hours and cleaned up by 1:00.

Please contact me at [email protected] if you can help

Sincerely,

John Scifres
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sponsor a Kids Bow - ***Donation Goal Has Been Met***
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 02:38:00 PM »
Set-up a PayPal account for the bow donations John and I can just about guarantee you the $400 you need for materials.    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 03:19:00 PM »
Thanks David.  I am doing this.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 06:30:00 PM »
e-mail on the way

Online DWT

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 07:05:00 PM »
Let me know when you get the account set up and I will sponsor 10 bows. I may also be able to give you a hand at compton as I plan on attending for my first time. Send me a reply or call 231 206 2446. Don

Offline Mel Amos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 07:10:00 PM »
I'll sponsor 5 bows.... PM me when you're setup with pay pal.

[email protected]

Mel

Offline T.J.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 07:31:00 PM »
I'll sponsor one. Sounds like a great thing you're doing here     :clapper:
"...Watching a buck turn back seeing his form melt away, a hunter will feel an inner smile. There's no other place he wishes to be and never does he feel more alive..."

~Gene Wensel (Primal Dreams)

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 07:51:00 PM »
I will be there and I have a 10 x 10 canopy you can use.  I will also help build bows if you want.  Let me know what you need for tools/sanders too.  My wife can watch my vendor booth during that time.  Chad

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 10:26:00 PM »
John, I will be there also, need strings or help let me know ! Steve

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 10:44:00 PM »
John, I'll be there to help anyway I can.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 08:17:00 AM »
I'm trying to convince my brother and nephew to go this year... they're just outside of Indy.  My nephew started shooting recently (one of those ugly solid fiberglass things that kick like a mule!)

Count me in to sponsor one.

If you'd like, I can see how many simple kid's quivers or armguards I can make by June.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 10:11:00 AM »
John sent you a PM
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, 12:21:00 PM »
Wow.  I am stunned by the support.  Thank you all.

I will get back to everyone in a little bit.

I am setting up the PayPal Donation account.  I'll post a link as soon as I get a chance to finalize it.  Thanks again David!

Chad, that's great!  You can be the tillerer unless Dean shows up and demotes you.  You all realize he's the big dog.  I'm just his whipped pup  :)

Dano, sweet.  It'll be great to have you there.

Jeremy, we've never done quivers but that is a great idea.  They don't have to be anything fancy.  Armguards are much appreciated too.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2009, 01:08:00 PM »
I have added the option of donating directly to this using PayPal.  You can click the link below and donate whatver you'd like.  Thanks.

DONATE NOW  

My PayPal Account is [email protected] if you already are setup with them.

Thanks again to all of you!  I am amazed and humbled.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2009, 01:30:00 PM »
John, I just sponsored 2 bows for the kids.
Hope to see you someday at one of your hunts again.
Roland

Offline Brent Hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2009, 01:35:00 PM »
I'll sponsor 5 bows.  Can you send me your info so I can mail you the money.  Great work  !!!  Bhill

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2009, 01:59:00 PM »
Roland,

It worked!  That was my first donation on PayPal.  Thank you so much.

John
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2009, 02:09:00 PM »
John,  if the armguards are going to be of more use, I'll just concentrate on those.  I should be able to knock out a bunch if I can convince my wife to help out.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2009, 02:17:00 PM »
Jeremy,

Yes, that sounds like a good idea.  Thanks again.

John
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline P.J. Petiniot

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2009, 07:43:00 PM »
If my shoulder doesn't get any better, you guys will have to make me a kids bow to use for this year. This shoulder surgery is a long, slow road to recovery.

Thanks to all of those who have agreed to help. I use to know how many hundreds of bows we gave a way here, but I have lost count a few years ago.

I don't forget the look on the kid's faces though.

Good work John.

P.J.
If your bow has a trigger, it’s not a bow. If your bow has a trigger and a stock, it’s an abomination.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©