3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: dowel self knocks...  (Read 1103 times)

Offline themonkey

• Trad Bowhunter
dowel self knocks...
« on: January 04, 2007, 09:05:00 PM »
is it safe to carve self knocks into dowels from the hardware store? i dont wanna split a dowel right in front of my face, but i dont have any knocks or the credit card to order any...
Don't deal with me, I stole from the St Jude's Auction.

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: dowel self knocks...
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 09:12:00 PM »
Sure. I do it all the time. Just be sure to reinforce the nock area by wrapping the shaft just below the nock valley with nylon thread or artificial sinew.  
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 09:13:00 PM »
You bet Aaron, just make sure you cut the knock perpindicular (cross grain) and I would wrap (sinew or thread)just below the knock to prevent any splitting. As Eugene said  ;)
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 09:14:00 PM »
Arrow shafts are nothing more than dowels.  You gotta make sure the grain is suitable.  It would be a really good idea to wrap the shaft just forward of the nock to help keep it from splitting, or, with a bit of work, build fancy self nocks by adding pieces of hardwood and shaping.   I think there are several build alongs available thru this site, or see Jawge's site or any of the other similar sites..

Check them out first.
ChuckC

Offline themonkey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 09:33:00 PM »
so with a self knock to you have to shoot split finger to keep the arra on there or is there some kinda trick to makin these things so they'll stick on the string..
Don't deal with me, I stole from the St Jude's Auction.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 10:09:00 PM »
Just don't remove so much wood.  Custom fit them to your string and they are no different than plastic nocks. I imagine a very thn layer of maybe soft heat melt glue on the inside of the slot might take up a bit of space.  Don't make it too snug either though.  Put a top and bottom nocking point on your string and it will stay between the two.   You just need to make sure it stays on the string so you do not get a dry fire condition.
ChuckC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 10:33:00 PM »
There's self nock info on my site. Jawge

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 10:44:00 AM »
If your careful you can cut self knocks that accually snap on, I use 2 hack saw blades tapped together cut a groove about 3/8" deep and then useing a round jewelers file widen and round out the base of the knock. Then file or sand the outer edges of the groove, basically duplicating a plastic snap knock. Time consuming but what else ya got to do??  :D
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline ZaneD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2007, 10:44:00 PM »
i do like dano said to make a snap-on self nock, widening the base with a round needle file. just check the fit often and make sure you don't widen it too much.   :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©