3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tiller question??  (Read 208 times)

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Tiller question??
« on: April 30, 2009, 10:30:00 AM »
I recently began shooting 3 under and have noticed the difference it makes with the bows tiller. If a bowyer builds a bow tillered for 3 under, how much of a difference in pounds is there between the limbs? Also, has anyone noticed that a bow built for 3 under is quieter than one built for split finger and used as a 3 under? Thanks....Ryan

Offline DCM

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tiller question??
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 10:38:00 AM »
Usually one measures the distance from the string to the riser at points equal distance from the center, generally at the "fades" or limb attachment point.  Generally the upper limb distance will be 1/8" to 1/4" wider.  Bows tillered for three under use less difference, 1/8" to even.  One can usually adjust the nock point for his unique shooting style.  If you notice a dramatic difference w/ 3 under, you might consider moving your nock point, up a bit at first but experiment.

Many will argue, fairly at least with glass bows, that tiller "doesn't matter."  But I think antecdotes about a bow with some positive tiller being "louder" when shot 3 under have some merit, at least in my experience.  With selfbows a significant change in where one applies pressure to either the bow or string, relative to how the bow was built, frequently can result in more fatigue on either the upper or lower limb.

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 12:45:00 PM »
Thanks....I have moved the NP up on all of my bows now that I'm shooting 3 under in order to get them tuned properly. There is a big difference in the longbows NP vs. the recurves NP. I'm over an inch above center with my favorite longbow and it shoots great (even bare shafts) but looks ridiculous when an arrow is nocked. I can't make it quiet even with an arrow that is almost 13 gpi. It seems to me that the recurves are more condusive to 3 under and was also wondering if a custom bow for 3 under would make enough difference to purchase one?

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 10:52:00 AM »
ttt

Offline split arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 06:04:00 PM »
TTT i want to know about this myself

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 06:13:00 PM »
good question
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline zwickeyman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 06:38:00 PM »
I have benn shooting trad for 22 years. 8 years ago I switched from split to 3 under. I have yet to find a bow that shoots as quiet when shooting 3 under, some are better than others. Even a bow that is tilled even is still louder when shooting 3 under but it shoots way better.IMO.
 I had a ILF Titan and shot it even tiller and it was very quiet for me 3 under. My ACS is as quiet 3 under as I have had and it is 1/4" positive tiller, I bet if it was 1/16' tiller it would be amazing.

Offline Rob Fin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 09:00:00 AM »
I had a Cari-bow Featherhorn longbow a few years back that I had ordered tillered for 3 under. After getting the bow, I switched back to shooting split finger. The bow was quieter shooting split finger even though it had been tillered for 3 under. I have now shot only split finger for several years, but I've tried a few arrows 3 under through all the bows I've owned. All were louder 3 under. I'm sure you could tune a bow to shoot quietly 3 under, but my guess would be that the same bow would be quieter still shot split finger.

Offline pete p

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 01:56:00 PM »
Ryan, i just switched to 3 under.  i went to the shooters forum and read many threads on 3 under.  you are right, the bow is louder.  someone on the s/f said to lower the top silencer way down.   i slid the cat wisker down, i mean real low like right about 8" above the nock.  problem solved, just as silent as before.  thanks for the pics too!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©