3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: looking for a recurve.  (Read 1014 times)

Offline Benjamin199

• Trad Bowhunter
looking for a recurve.
« on: April 30, 2009, 11:20:00 AM »
I need some help finding some bows to look at.  I am looking for a 50's style recurve to make the switch to Trad archery.  I like the looks of the BW PSR recurves, also Sarrels Bobbcat.  Any info on other bows of this style would be greatly appreciated.  I would prefer to start with a quality bow as once I get a bow, it will be a long time before I can swing an upgrade past my wife, so I am hoping to do it right the first time.  My draw is about 29-30" (I am 6'2" with a wing span of 76") looking for about 50# draw weight at my draw.  Main purposes for the bow will be learning to shoot instictive and eventually hunting.  Wood recommendations would also be helpfull,  I am not so much into the looks as what will make the bow a better shooter.
Thank you for your time.
Ben
Jack Kempf Kwik Styk  60" 54@30
Holm-Made Goshawk 64" 46@28"
NRA Life Member

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: looking for a recurve.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 11:37:00 AM »
May not be exactly what you are looking for but a CheckMate Falcon is worth looking at.

Offline rbbhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 12:04:00 PM »
You might look at the Sovereign Trident.  It's a 50's style recurve with Static tips.
RBBHUNT
"Those who will trade liberty for
security, deserve niether" B. Franklin (a long time ago and still valid)

Offline Conan 1883

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 01:04:00 PM »
I'm in the same boat as benjamin.  I was thinking of going to the OSTA shoot this weekend in Millersburg, OH hoping to find some good advice since we will be camping in the area this weekend.  To further complicate my situation, I shoot left handed.  Hoping to find a bow soon though, deer season will be here before you know it!
Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.....John Wayne

Offline CBergeman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 01:28:00 PM »
Take a look at RER's  XR & CXR recurves.  They might be just what you're looking for.  Whip has a few of in-stock bows listed on his website.

Offline 4 point

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 01:44:00 PM »
Whisperstik makes a great one and the Kota Killum is also good. The Kota is a little harder to tune but they are both great shooters and lookers too. I also have a Saxon American that's a great bow. There all good it just comes down to the one that fits you best.

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 01:54:00 PM »
Ben,

I have an older American Archery "Appache" recurve, I think it may be from the 60's?  It is in very good shape has black glass on the belly and the back.  The limbs are straight adn it shots well it is 60 inches long and pulls 50 pounds at 28, I pull 29.5 inches, no problem for the bow.  It has taken one deer from me.  I do not use it as I just love my longbows.  I put a new rest on it, and dacron string, and a handle wrap.  It is good looking, just not fancy.  I have been blessed by others on this board, and I now have a chance to repond in kind.  If you would like the bow, I will gladly give it you with about 4 or so arrows that will get you strated.  It would be nice for her to used rather than collect dust in my loft.  

Let me know if you are interested.

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 02:20:00 PM »
That's mighty generous, Bob.

Offline jesse cales

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 02:24:00 PM »
whisperstik.jd's a sponsor.

Offline Benjamin199

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 02:41:00 PM »
Bob B.
I will take you up on your offer, and it is greatly appreciated.  Thank you very much.
Ben
NRA Life Member

Offline Brandon Stahl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 02:41:00 PM »

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 02:57:00 PM »
I am in the same situation.  I have shot everything I can get my hands on and have had a few used bows to try out.  I have also tried some R/D hybrid LBs.  So far I keep coming back to the Whisperstik Mojostik.  Even the 56" shoots smooth at just over 28" draw.  Once I figure out my woods and grip I will be ordering one.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, 03:01:00 PM »
Ben, I will send you a PM

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2009, 03:23:00 PM »
Very nice gesture, Bob B.  And a great way to help a feller out.  That old American recurve will shoot great as well and may have a little magic attached.

Offline Bowhunter_83

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2009, 03:33:00 PM »
Ben have you seen the Great Plains Longcurve. Its  a 60" Fifties Syle Recurve with a Longbow grip similar to the PSR but alot Nicer looking IMO. Also less expensive and more "Custom Looking". Google: Great Plains Bows,and on the Left of the Page Look for "One Peice Longcurve"

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2009, 04:22:00 PM »
Thier are so many great 50s style curves to choose from.

You did say you were interested ina widow.I had the 60 inch Ironwood model PSR-V.It was a smooth and stable shooter with good performance.It worked well for a longer draw like yours.

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2009, 05:25:00 PM »
If you get to the Brainerd area stop by my shop and shoot some bows.  I can also help you with draw length check and arrow selection.  Where are you from.  From your profile I noticed that you are 5 days older then me.  :)   Chad

Offline JM101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2009, 05:47:00 PM »
Check out the river runner from Holmade Traditional bows.

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2009, 05:55:00 PM »
Benjamin, go on Dan Toelke's site,  www.montanabows.com,  click on "current bow inventory",select "traditional recurves and look at some of his new "Chinooks". I received mine 5 days ago. It is gorgeous cocobolo/juniper and I'll post some pictures tomorrow. On top of being beautiful it is the QUIETEST recurve I've ever heard, rock solid stable in spite of it's graceful lines and light weight and it's fast and likes heavy arrows. mine is a smooth-drawing 60", 55# @ 29 1/2" and I know it will accomodate a good bit more draw. Dan uses any wood you want for $700.00 and delivery time is weeks! I own a number of his bows and I can assure you that as well as being a superb craftsman, no one in the custom bow business is any easier to deal with than Dan. Do yourself a favor and talk to him.

Offline Benjamin199

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2009, 06:57:00 PM »
Thanks for all of the great info everyone, I really do appreciate the time you have taken to help me out.

Chad, I live down in the Twin Cities,  I have an Aunt that lives up in Pequot Lakes, the next time I make the trip up, I would love to come in and check out your bows.
Ben
NRA Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©