3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Longbow or Recurve, What do you shoot and why  (Read 985 times)

Offline An English Bow Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Longbow or Recurve, What do you shoot and why
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2007, 05:20:00 PM »
Nice pic , love the bow,
i can never decide, what i like but this is where i am at the mo with my bows, I got my self a Silver Tip , man , no worries there, that bow dose the job, but i still have that feeling for the simple look of the longbow, so i am thinking i will try and make my self a long bow, and shoot that for a bit of fun , and allways have the tip ready for the times i have got to have the best , reliable equipment , i now 100% will perform when i need it to,

James

Offline tadpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2007, 05:23:00 PM »
I have always shot recurves, presently shooting a TimberHawk, but I just received my new HH Big Five longbow about a week ago and i love it.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2007, 08:00:00 PM »
I have two recurves and two longbows. I have a constant rotation going all year long. I shoot each one pretty well but I'm sure if I stuck to one I would shoot even better.

But which one?  :)
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2007, 11:15:00 PM »
Just something about a longbow...
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2007, 11:39:00 PM »
Love my Mahaska, but my daughter's 45 pound Bear Black Bear recurve is a blast to shoot and deadly accurate. My little Herters recurve is great in tight places (like ground blinds).

There is something romantic about a longbow that appeals to me, but I also love to shoot recurves. As long as it doesn't come with wheels, cams, sights, wingdings, widgets, or any other unnecessary junk, I'll shoot it!

;)    ;)    :bigsmyl:
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline User Name

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2007, 11:41:00 PM »
I am brand new to traditional shooting.  I asked archers and read books and threads on this question and the phrase "longbows are more forgiving" came up over and over. So I bought one.

If there is anything I need, it's forgiveness.

My longbow hasn't forgiven me yet, though.  I probably need to show more signs of redemption before it starts letting me off the hook!  :pray:

Offline Grizz 53

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2007, 07:33:00 AM »
I went straight from a wheelie to a longbow and it so much fun to shoot I don't see any reason to change.

Offline Golden Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2007, 08:10:00 AM »
I've got both recurves and longbows, and both shoot well for me. My Vortex longbow is by far my favorite though.
LeRoy

Charter member of TBJA (Trad Bow Junkies of America)

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2007, 08:05:00 PM »
I shoot both.  I think I shoot the recurve better, but I like to shoot the longbow more.  

Why....Because it feels right in my hand.  Because I really like to release the arrow and watch it sail.  Because it has become my friend.  Don't know, but it isn't a consious choice, it just is what it is.
ChuckC

Offline Eric in FLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2007, 08:19:00 PM »
" Beautiful, graceful and curvy just like a woman" I never thought of my recurve in those terms. Probably prefer not to. Sold a recurve years ago, never had to give it a house to get rid of it.

The first time I picked up a Silvertip recurve, I knew I wanted one. Shot where I looked, smooth, surprisingly fast and and quiet. Odd how desirable traits are similar in spouses and bows !

I ordered my Silvertip five days after trying the loaner. There is an initiative that could catch on in spouse-land.

Now if I could only find a spouse that I appreciate and enjoy as much as a good bow, my life would be complete. 62", 120# +/- at my length, smooth, quiet and forgiving...I'm calling Windauer and ask If he has a big piece of Cocobolo he can carve to spec !

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2007, 08:20:00 AM »
Have both, shoot both but for hunting this fall will be carrying one of my Vortex's.
 Another bow junkie!
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2007, 08:48:00 AM »
I like em all.  Tend to switch back and forth every year to keep a new bow in my hands.  Doesnt seem to effect how well I shoot because they all shoot better than I can. Takes a week to get used to a new grip but then I'm ok.  I'm now making my own takedown longbow (hybrid)with a recurve grip. Should be pretty if I dont take a wrong turn with the Bandsaw.   :scared:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©