3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Opening Day Gobbler!  (Read 2106 times)

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Opening Day Gobbler!
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2009, 02:06:00 PM »
Sweet!! cant wait to hear the rest...

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2009, 02:40:00 PM »
Yeah.....now THAT'S what I'm talkin bout!    :clapper:
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2009, 03:01:00 PM »
Looks like you want to "string" it out...  ;)
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2009, 03:11:00 PM »
Those pics look familiar...Sitting in the woods calling my cell phone started vibrating...felt good...anyway...I open it and there is Curts bird...
Good job buddy....
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2009, 03:43:00 PM »
The plan was to hunt the "Three Amigos" if I could roost them last night. Well we had parent/teacher conf. that I had to be to by 7:30. So I head out a little earlier than usual to try to roost these birds. When I got close to where I thought they might be, I started working my way closer crow calling as I went.

It worked! Heard the boys, and figured they'd roost close. So I had the prettiest set-up you could ever imagine planned for the morning. They'd be above me up on a hill, and I'd be set-up in a peach orchard that was in full bloom with beautiful pink blossoms. A prettier set-up you couldn't imagine!

Rain holds off, and with the cover of darkness, I get the blind set in a perfect flat spot at the end of a row. Set my strutting jake, "Lil Floyd" about 8yds, and a hen even closer...pefect!

Well till birds started gobbling behind me and nothing gobbled up where I thought they'd be! I guess sometime between the time I left the woods early the evening before to get to the school, and darkness the boys had moved down the valley.

Now the agonizing decision, stay and hope, or pack everything up, and move closer to the gobbling birds and not get picked off. I rolled the dice, and packed everything up as quick a possible, and like a junk yard dog, with things hanging all over me and under my arms I sped as quick as I could over a stone wall and an out of breath a quarter mile later settled on a spot in another orchard and set up.

Birds still gobbling, and me sweating in the humidity, I made my first call and got an immediate answer...game on!

We go back and forth and I could hear several birds gobbling off in the distance besides the closer one's that answered me....this was shaping up pretty good....

After calling a few times in about a half hour, the birds went silent and didn't answer me. Usually this means they they are either coming, or they've moved away out of earshot. So I wait about 15 minutes and then call again and gobbles erupt behind me about 20yds away!  Oh yeah!!

I peek out the back of the blind and see a red, white, and blue head with a full fan behind it, and he's coming!  Then behind him come three jake's and a hen. I watched him come thru a brushy hedgerow at about 20yds and when he saw Lil Floyd and his girlfriend he immediately blew up and started to come.....I reached for "Cy"......

The hen came into view first with the strutter behind her, but he was passed by all three jake's as they all arrived at the deke's and the chaos ensued at 8yrds!

The were all shuckin' and jivin' and for about the longest twenty second I didn't think I was gonna get a clear shot at the gobbler! They were circling and jostling around so much I was starting to think something bad would happen before I'd get a clear shot! But after about 30 seconds at the deke's and with the hen getting ready to go, the jake's parted and there stood the gobbler,strutting, stone still right up against Lil Floyd, facing directly at me!

The plan was to hit dead center and between the beard and the waddles. As long as I hit dead center l/r, I'd break his neck and drive the big snuffer into his vitals......

With what is best described as a "crunching blow", the arrow took him dead center thru his neck, just below the red waddles! In what seemed like slow-mo, his head just flopped and he collapsed in a heap!

What the big snuffer did beyond his neck was all for naught,it had cut a giant hole,dead center, and he was dead instantly beside a little flopping......

I grabbed my camera and got this.....

Where he fell and flopped too....

The set-up.....

It doesn't get much better.....

Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2009, 03:52:00 PM »
Sweet Bro!
  :clapper:

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2009, 03:59:00 PM »

Homemade(by me) carbon arrow/antler striker and a mouth call from TG'er Charles Sorrels. Been using this mouth call for three years now....

I was hunting with "Cy", my 56", 58# Kempf Kwyk Styk...and I was shooting older style(but brand new)CX Terminator 45/60's with big 160 Snuffers on 75gr. steel adapters.....and as you can see I was wearing my Sitka Gear....

The payoff for all the lost hours of sleep....

Lil Floyd...who is Floyd with some modifications....

And no, I didn't want to string this one out because I'm taking Cade out with me this weekend and hope to have another story to write about and pix to share!!      :pray:
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2009, 04:03:00 PM »
Great shot Curt...and great pics,congrats..  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2009, 04:05:00 PM »
And everyone...Thank you    :notworthy:
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2009, 04:08:00 PM »
Super shot Curt   :thumbsup:   Great pics as always, congratulations.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2009, 04:18:00 PM »
Amazing Curt...  :thumbsup:    :notworthy:
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2009, 04:26:00 PM »
Another one bites the dust ... brought to you once again by Mr.Automatic the Guru! Congrats Curt on an awesome shot and a beautiful bird!  :thumbsup:
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2009, 04:28:00 PM »
Dang Curt…great shoot!  :thumbsup:

Good luck this weekend.
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline jimmerc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2009, 05:01:00 PM »
Great job curt and congrats!!! I couldn't get today off from work, the first time in ten years, but,  I do have all next week and hopefully i'll be able to pull it off tomorrow!!  congrats again and thanks for sharing!  Jim   :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
1- kajika stik combo,RC 55@28/LONGBOW 57@28 Both W/diamondback skins

1- monarch longbow royal 68" 59@28
1- bear kodak hunter-44@28

Offline Steve Leffler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2009, 05:11:00 PM »
Awesome Curt!  Great story and shot.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2009, 05:14:00 PM »
Somethin' tells me that you didn't use a "string tracker" ... Bet it was a Tazer Line!  :rolleyes:

Congrats On Your Gobbler Curt!

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2009, 05:17:00 PM »
Nice shootin Curt. Congrats. Hopefully the tail you gave me has some mojo in it!
Brian
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2009, 05:26:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :notworthy:
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2009, 05:42:00 PM »
One of my favorite things is waking up to the phone buzzing and a text coming in from one of my Tradgang buddy's.

Thats the way to wake up exspecially when it's a picture with success on the other end.   :notworthy:    :notworthy:  

Good luck tomorrow with Cade  :archer:  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Online Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2009, 05:47:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  

The guy want so bad to try the Bullhead/Guillotine he uses the Snuffer as one!

Looking forward to the weekend report...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©