3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow crafting starter kit?  (Read 327 times)

Offline brmize

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow crafting starter kit?
« on: May 01, 2009, 11:26:00 AM »
What all would a guy need to get started besides a jig and feathers? Right now I jsut plan to get my feet wet by refletching some older arrows but I am a complete novice so I really don't even know where to start.

Thanks,
Brian
"After we've lost a natural place, it's gone for eveyone-hikers, campers, boaters, bicyclists, animal watchers, fishers, hunters, and wildlife-a complete and absolutely democratic tragedy of emptiness."  Richard Nelson

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow crafting starter kit?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 12:10:00 PM »
There are alot of good fletching jigs,the best in my opinion is the Bitzenberger.But you can get some good ones for about half that price that will do a great job.When you get a jig get the correct one for the feathers you plan to use,LW or RW clamp.A straight jig can use either LW or RW feathers but I like to put them on with a helical twist.I like LW for a RH shooter but that doesn't really matter,I shoot both LW and RW.Feathers I have used them all Tru-flight,Gateway and AMG.I like the AMG,alot of nice bright colors.Instructions will come with new fletcher on getting it adjusted.I like to use Platinum Fletch tite for all my fletching,but use Duco cement on wood arrows with a polyurthene finish.When I glue on feathers I like to give it 20-25 minutes to dry before the next feather,I use a kitchen timer but you don't have to,it just reminds me of the time.All you really need is a fletching jig,glue and some feathers to get started.When I first started making arrows,I just used some stain,wipe-on poly,and spray painted on a white crown and started fletching.

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 01:31:00 PM »
good luck with your new found hobbie. call 3 rivers they got it all . Ilove making woodies I could doit 24\\7 it is alot of fun

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 02:28:00 PM »
A good tapering tool and a heat source for gluing on points are about the only other things needed.  I second the Bitz jig.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 12:29:00 PM »
you know Brian, you're about a 20 minute drive from the Nocking Point...Mike's a sponsor here, and he'll have everything you need, plus lots of good advice...  :thumbsup:
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline Old York

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 09:04:00 PM »
I like an alcohol lamp - it's like perfect porridge, not too hot, not too cold. And some good old Ferrule-Tite.

Just don't get that hot glue on yer fingers and shove 'em into yer mouth and burn your lips too....  :scared:
"We were arguing about brace-height tuning and then a fistmele broke out"

Offline phatty363

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 09:14:00 PM »
eather order shafts online and put knocks and all that good stuff on it or if ya wanna get some primitive arrows i would watch this    and all the other ones .i have done it. its fun they turned out very very good and shot wonderful

Offline brmize

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 01:46:00 PM »
Thanks guys, been gone for awhile then forgot about this post. Thanks to all.

Brian
"After we've lost a natural place, it's gone for eveyone-hikers, campers, boaters, bicyclists, animal watchers, fishers, hunters, and wildlife-a complete and absolutely democratic tragedy of emptiness."  Richard Nelson

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©