3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New to archery and need help Please.  (Read 555 times)

Offline Deucalion

• Trad Bowhunter
New to archery and need help Please.
« on: March 21, 2007, 08:19:00 PM »
Hello everybody,

I just joined this Gang, a few hours ago and I would first like to say WOW. I have been hunting ever since I can remember and realized early on that I did not like hunting animals with guns for several reasons, noise, ease of aiming, bullet wound, and how they take all aspects of hunting out of hunting. So I decided to switch over to bows. I looked first at compound and crossbow's and soon realized that they were a little better than guns. Yes they are quite and you have to get closer to the animal to get a shot but they still were to easy to aim. All you have to do is go to an archery shop and sight your bow to different distances and you would hit the target every time. I did not know what to do at this point, I knew that there were bows made out of wood but I was young and didnt think that they still made them because I had never seen one for sale at the store. Then a few years ago (I think 4) I happened across a "wood" bow at a flea market that I'd seen while driving and decided to walk through. I immediately bought it and had arrows made for me at a archery shop later that week.

Sorry for the story but that is how i got into traditional archery so I hope somebody can relate to it. Anyway I was hoping somebody could give me any pointers, I need everything from how to shoot, all the different words in archery vocabulary, great products to buy, anything. Im a noob at this but i want to learn everything.

On my bow is says,   COLT Trail Blazer on top and COLTS PAT. FIRE ARMS MFG. CO. INC. HARTFORD CONN. U.S.A. with a picture of a horse on bottom. Then on the grip it says C056-224-6
   58"
 39#-28"
can anyone tell me what that means?

its a good bow i think and it shoots well.

I would add pictures but I havent figured that out yet so when I do I will be sure to include those.

Much Appreciated

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: New to archery and need help Please.
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 08:26:00 PM »
Welcome to the Gang. You've come to the best place on the planet to get your questions answered.

I personally can't tell you alot about your bow other than it pulls 39lbs. at 28 inches. I'm sure there will be others to tell you more.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Big Sneaky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 08:32:00 PM »
Welcome to the wonderful world of traditioanl archery. This is a great site full of a lot of information.  As far as learning how to shoot there are a lot of different ways that work good for different people.  Try to get your hands on the Traditional Bowhunters Handbook, it has a ton of info on just about everything.  Buy some videos such as Masters of the Barebow, Byron Ferguson's Become the Arrow, Instinctive Shooting with G. Fred Asbell.  Most of these books and videos are available through 3 Rivers archery or Kustom King.  Be sure to check out the sponsors here they will have what you need.  There is a ton of info out there for you and I believe you can find a style of shooting that fits you.  Good luck and don't get discouraged, if I can do it anyone can.
Always keep the wind in your face, and an arrow nocked.

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 09:10:00 PM »
Welcome.... back in I believe the 70's or so, Colt was selling bows under their brand name, but they were built by other archery companies.   Someone may correct me on this, but I think that's the case.   One thing I would check, carefully, maybe with help from an archery shop, is your draw.   Your body and how you shoot, i.e. head erect target form vs. traditional head down form, will determine your draw length.   Trad form is often shorter draw.  Most states haves a minimum weight for hunting, and in many it's 40# at your draw length.

Dick in Seattle
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 09:58:00 PM »
Welcome to the gang...

The 58" means your bow is 58" AMO (used for ordering strings). Your bow should actually be longer, but the 58 is a standard used so everyones "AMO 58" will be the same length.

#39-28 just means that your bow's draw weight at 28" measures 39#'s. Again AMO rates draw weights at 28" as a standard. If you draw shorter than 28" subtract 2-3#'s per inch, if longer than 28" add to the #39.

Questions, just ask. This is what Trad Gang is all about.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 11:52:00 PM »
Hi there. Hap

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 05:04:00 AM »
Welcome to the gang. Alan

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 06:16:00 AM »
It would help most if you can find someone local to shoot with.  The learning curve is much faster that way. Start looking for local shoots and meet some new friends!
You are on the right track.
Dan

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 07:05:00 AM »
Holá   :wavey:

Offline jimneye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 07:14:00 AM »
Welcome, don't be bashfull.  You're in good company.
I've hunted almost every day of my life.....the rest were just wasted

Offline Deucalion

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 05:47:00 PM »
thanks everyone ive already learned quite a bit just from reading different topics and what youve all posted. as for the shooting with someone who lives near me. How i found out about this website was on the back of a green jeep cherokee which had a tradgang.com sticker on it. the jeep was up at west county fitness center in ballwin. does anyone know who this belongs to and if so i would love to go shoot with them. I am heading up there now to work out and I will see if their jeep is back up there and hopefully find them.  Thanks

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2007, 05:49:00 PM »
Welcome to the gang. Feel free to contact me. I'm quite close to you and there is a number of other trad shooters in this area. We can introduce you to the group. Some of us have been shooting longbows only for 25 or 35 years. Dan
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2007, 09:15:00 PM »
It doesnt sound intentional but you did good by getting a bow in the draw weight that you did to get started. This will allow you to shoot comfortably and shoot more. It also will help you to develope your form so that if and when you decide to change bows and go up in weight you will shoot better.

Masters of the Barebow is a good place to start. There are several guru's on there that alot of us admire that get into detail on shooting and hunting techniques. You will learn alot for sure as you will get to see how it's done. My shooting style is very similiar to Ron LaClaire's style in the video. Go to the sponsers links up top and you can get it from a couple different places including Ron's website.

Make sure you use an armgaurd when you shoot. Nothing will mess you up more than a few string slaps on the arm. After you get better you will probably not use one...I dont.

Offline Big Dave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2007, 07:12:00 PM »
Welcome  :wavey:    :wavey:
Live today like you'll meet God tommorow (you might)

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2007, 07:19:00 PM »
Welcome!! I don't think I'm close enuff to help you with anything tho,where the heck is Ballwin?  :wavey:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©