3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: State agency Poll  (Read 1111 times)

Offline Caleb the bow breaker

• Trad Bowhunter
State agency Poll
« on: March 22, 2007, 10:31:00 AM »
So the other night while talking with a group of new and seasoned archers I picked up the drift that State biologist/managers were doing more damage than good.  This really shocked me because I am a state biologist and we work hard to do the best we can with what we have.  I understand that you cant make everyone happy all the time.  So I just thought I would poll the Gang to see what others feel about their state game and fish biologist/managers.
Oh squeaky treestand, how I hate thee!

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: State agency Poll
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 11:54:00 AM »
My experience in WI is that they assume you are going to try and be violater.  Many of the laws are written from that point of view if you really pick them over.  The back tag is just one of them.  Also hauling game it has to be exposed to view, etc.

Offline Marblesonac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 11:59:00 AM »
My opinion in Indiana is that I could answer yes to both questions.

If they hadn't renewed the "one hunter one buck" rule, I would have answered no to both.
Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes....

Offline dudley152

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 12:15:00 PM »
I had a bit of a problem answering both questions with just a straight yes or no answer.

I believe the rank and file employees of NYS DEC do their best to manage our wildlife to benefit the public. Unfortunately, the upper level managers (i.e. Commissioner & direct subordinates) don't necessarily have the same idea on what's best for our wildlife and the hunters and fishermen and women. As usual, NYS probably leads the nation when it comes to appointing non-qualified individuals to lead an agency, especially DEC.

I also believe the DEC is not totally honest with results of its environmental studies. But then again, what governmental agency is?

Overall, I am extremely satisfied with the dedication and performance of the rank & file employees. I can't say the same about those that occupy the offices of the Commissioner in Albany.
Vietnam Veteran
"Remember Those Who Made the Ultimate Sacrifice"

Another Proud Member of the "Disabled but not dead" Brigade!

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 12:19:00 PM »
Theres the problem. Political appointees running a public resource by an agenda that doesn't always consider what is best for it, but for the politicians who keep them in work and their goals.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline shootrmn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 12:28:00 PM »
here in Idaho I think they are catering to the loudest of complainers. more and more land being given over to non-huntable areas and orivate wildlife management. They are protecting the wolf at a cost of 100's of millions of dollars in livestock damage. That damage is passed on in meat and wool prices. Here in the northern counties we are seeing more and more reffugees from the left coast that are bringing their pollotics and attitudes with them and they are beginning to have an effect on hunting up here. I fully beleive that good management is  neccessary for the future of our sport. I also beleive that there should be a greater effort to hear both sides and stop the anti's from using public political forums and public funds (read the school system) to demonize hunters and hunting in general. IMHO
shootrmn
Practicing the Dicipline of Steel
Given by the Gods and honed by my father.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 12:29:00 PM »
I'm from WI also, and I think the biggest problem we face isn't the game managers and biologists, but is the politicians instead.  Case in point - Our DNR has an all out effort going to ban all baiting and feeding of deer in light of the CWD problem we have in our State.  Science has proven it can be transmitted by saliva, yet baiting and feeding is still allowed because the politicians have people who make a living off selling feed sitting in their back pockets.  Decisions are made on the basis of who kicks in money towards a campaign rather than what is best for the wildlife.  The whole system is corrupt, and until that changes we face some serious challanges in managing our wildlife.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline varmint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 12:39:00 PM »
I think our Biologists/Managers are doing a fine job within the very small parameters they actually have a say over.........

If we could get the control out of the Politicians greasy fingers here in SC and into the hands of the real folks who should be running the show we would do MUCH,MUCH better.
Bowhunting......A way of life and death.

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 12:56:00 PM »
Got to give the boys in Ohio credit.  They are constantly fighting the pocket padding pieces of... I mean politicians, who are always trying to hack into our wildlife funds.  Our division is supported primarily by license fees.  My only complaint would be they don't enforce enough for fear of losing license sales.

I should add that public hunting and fishing opportunities have only grown in our part of the state.  The quality of fish and game has increased as well.  Because the Division is supported primarily by license fees, I always buy all licenses available, whether or not I hunt that species.  It's money well spent in our state.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 01:52:00 PM »
Thanks for the participation fellas.  I have to say that when I got into this field it was mostly because I lke animals and the outdoors and both are more trustworthy than most people.  But then realized the job is mostly dealing with and managing people.  I still love my job and feel like we (biologists/ and informed outdoorsmen and women) are fighting the good fight.  

One final thought while I am on my soap box.  For those that are looking for a great article to read see "The Tragedy of the Commons"

http://www.sciencemag.org/sciext/sotp/pdfs/162-3859-1243.pdf

By far the most influential article I have ever read, so much so that I passed it out at Thanksgiving one year.  And one of the main reasons I am (professionaly) what I am today. Maybe just a little food for thought.

Caleb

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 02:12:00 PM »
Damm I thought just Louisiana had the lock on the crooked politicians but I guess they are everywhere.Kip

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2007, 02:20:00 PM »
Living in Indiana I too would have a hard time saying anything bad about our folks. I can only think of two little things i would change and they have more to do with after the fact than before the game is down. DNR meets with folks twice a year in different areas so everyone can let them know how they are doing and request changes. Most of what we ask for we get as long as it doesn't effect the wildlife in a negative manner. I can't say I've ever had a problem harvesting game in my state, outside of turkeys and they are working hard on that one. Many of the southern counties and extreme northern counties have good populations. The middle of the state suffers mostly due to habitat or lack there of. The county I live in was the last county openned to turkey hunting.

We tried the one buck rule as a "test". DNR called anyone that was on their list, sent emails and flyers, and held public meetings to see if we wanted to keep it or go back to the kill as many as you can rule. We voted to keep the one buck rule and they did. I think we have it pretty good.

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2007, 03:05:00 PM »
A note on baiting.  I had surrounding landowners baiting heavily prior to the ban.  (I don't). I am just out side the reduction zone.  My sightings easily doubled when the ban went into effect. The deer were out earlier and more often.   I am all for no baiting for deer in the state.

Offline Hunter John

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2007, 05:36:00 PM »
Although not a state,I feel our provincial ministry of natural resources does a good job.
I am a man
and I can change
if I have to
I guess.

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2007, 05:44:00 PM »
Unfortunately I'm seeing my agency catering to hikers and not hunters.Huge tracts of land that are funded by the Pittman/Robertson Act are laced with hiking trails and offer very limited hunting,I MEAN VVVEEERRRYYYY LIMITED HUNTING.These are lands full of deer and turkey that alot of people use to have access to for hunting.Last time I looked,the sale of hiking boots never put a dime into Pittman/robertson!   :banghead:    Correct me if I am wrong Vermonster.

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2007, 06:25:00 PM »
Caleb...having dealt with our F&G quite a bit here in MT, I'd have to say they do a tremendous job.   Most sportsmen don't understand the system, and it's easy to complain, but they lack the committment to actualy get involved and make changes.  Having said that, there is a lot of politics involved, and managing people has become the big issue when making policies.  If folks want change, they need to become active in their respective state orgs, and keep an eye on the politicians and various user groups, and help out the biologist, like Caleb, so that they can focus on their jobs...taking care of wildlife.   Taking care of politicians...that's our job.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2007, 08:23:00 PM »
You would have a hard time finding anyone in Michigan who thinks the DNR here is doing a good job. I can go on and on, and it will just get me worked up.

I will say the DNR has at the very least,lost the trust of all the outdoors men and women that I know. I frequently ask other hunters what they think of the way the DNR handles issues, and it is ALWAYS the same. No one has EVER responded with anything good to say.

Before there are any long lasting solutions to our problems here this lack of trust has to change.

Offline White Oak

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2007, 08:51:00 PM »
Hello Caleb,
           Please donot take this as an attack on you personally. Being both a land owner and serious hunter from the state of Nebraska, I had to answer no to both questions.I really wish your question would have been directed more toward a broader group such as " Your state Game Commission" rather than only the biologists.I am sure that we have hard working biologists in the field in Nebraska doing the best job they are allowed to.I believe our problems with our season times, length of seasons,number of seasons,lack of enough law enforcement and light penalties for game law violators goes beyond the biologists responsibilities.

Thanks,
                    Ed

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2007, 10:30:00 PM »
I agree some with Whip and have my own take off this.  More and more the managing of game and fish is being taken away from those people who do it for a living and is being done by those in politics or who yell the loudest.  

Also...Why is it that..if you are a welder and I tell you that your welds suck, you take it personally and tell me I don't know what I am talking about, same if you are an electrician, rocket scientist, doctor, Investigator, etc etc,      but if you are a game manager who is educated and does this for a living, then of course everybody else knows more than you.    Seems to work that way.
ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2007, 04:45:00 PM »
Thanks for all the comments fellas.  I dont take anything personally because I know that I am doing the best that I can right now and so are 99% of managers nationwide.  There are some things that will change, some that might, and some that never will but all I have control over is myself.  One thing I will say that may anger some folks is this.  Just because you hear something on a sports show, read it in a magazine, or hear it at the local hunt club does not mean that it is true or even based in truth.  Also as everyone knows nature is very complex and there is very seldom a clear cut answer to every problem and it is impossible to make everyone happy all the time.  I would like to remind everyone to look at the link I posted earlier and read that article, i think it will be worth your time.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©