3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: squeaky leather boots  (Read 324 times)

Offline bicster

• Trad Bowhunter
squeaky leather boots
« on: May 06, 2009, 05:01:00 AM »
I bought a new pair of Scarpa all leather hiking boots a couple of months ago. I have been wearing them since and they still make a ton of noise. Do you have any suggestions on any products that will help quiet them down? I heard that Montana Pitch Blend may help. Does anyone have any experience with this?
Thanks in advance,
Bicster

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: squeaky leather boots
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 07:34:00 AM »

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 07:49:00 AM »
Trad Brother JC turned me on to the Montana Pitch Blend several years ago. Great product !!!

nocams  :thumbsup:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 07:56:00 AM »
Are you SURE it's the leather? I have a pair of Rocky Branson ropers that I wear for work that squeak like crazy. It's the insole. I can put a little foot powder in under the insole and it stops for a while then goes back to squeaking.

Have you checked that?
Romans 8:28

Offline bicster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 09:03:00 AM »
It squeaks around the tongue on both boots. The leather is rubbing toghether where it is folded.
Thanks,
Bic

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 10:58:00 AM »
I have the Same Problem with my Danner Super slams.  I have treated the hell out of them and the problem comes back in 1 day, Here in colorado once they get wet and then get into the dry dusty areas, they creek like mad in the tongue crease.I have tried everything, but that obenaufs stuff...But you never know... Your luck might ne better than mine

Offline Bill Shepard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 11:50:00 AM »
I have the same problem with my work Danner's.  I've saddle soaped the tongue and that helped for a couple days then they went back to squeeking.   :mad:  

It seems strange a company can charge what they do for boots, specifically designed for law enforcement or hunting, and allow them to be so noisy.  My boots remind me of an old W.C. Fields movie when he was golfing and his caddy had squeeky shoes.   :knothead:
"...But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 11:56:00 AM »
Places like Walmart carry "Snowproof" that works great.  It isn't expensive and will penetrate the leather well.  Leather was once a living thing, so it needs treatment to keep it supple.

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 10:53:00 PM »
Looks like the obenaughs (sp?) would do the trick. I use Huberd's shoe grease when I can find it.

http://www.huberds.com/Home.html
Romans 8:28

Offline pine nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 11:04:00 PM »
My Danner pronghorns squeak in the sole too!  I have several different pairs of boots that do the same thing drives me nuts!

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 07:09:00 AM »
Same w/ Browning featherweights.They squeak when my feet sweat.Cost me a nice bull a few years back.

Offline Preston Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 08:47:00 AM »
I have used the Montana pich blend to quite down leather boots. I also use it on the back side of leather tabs to get the queak out.

Offline manfromthepast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 01:10:00 PM »
I had the same problem with a similar style of Hanwags.  Repeated applications of Pitch Blend to only the area causing the squeak took care of it.  Obenauf's didn't work for me.  Don't put the Pitch Blend anywhere but in the gusset of the tongue where it meets the collar.  I think Pitch Blend softens the leather a little and you want those boots to stay stiff to work the way they are designed to work.

Offline JockC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 02:55:00 PM »
Those with tough boots might try to the soaking trick (soak them through, then let them dry thoroughly on your feet, maybe repeat) then the grease/blend of choice.  Some insoles and even uppers take quite a bit of sweat or wet to finally mold to your feet.  And that's good advice from manfromthepast about limiting where you put the various softening agents.  That's the main reason I like Obenauf's.
Jock
TGMM Family of the Bow
Hunting should be hard.

Offline bicster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2009, 07:23:00 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the advise!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©