3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What knife/knives do you carry?  (Read 4373 times)

Offline imskippy

• Trad Bowhunter
What knife/knives do you carry?
« on: May 06, 2009, 01:56:00 PM »
Not everyone visits the knife forum so I figure this is a valid question here. What knives do you use and why? List brand/blade type and length if you wish and if it serves a specific purpose or sentimental value. Enjoy. Skippy
Zona Custom T/D #1
Zona Custom R/D L/B #1

Offline imskippy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What knife/knives do you carry?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 02:01:00 PM »
I've carried a browning 3 blade folder on my belt while hunting for many years and a Kershaw 3" fixed blade in my pack. On a daily basis I carry a Kershaw Ken Onion assisted folder I was given by my snap on dealer recently. This fall I will be wearing my handmade necker I built to match my bow.(see avatar pic) Skippy
Zona Custom T/D #1
Zona Custom R/D L/B #1

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 02:34:00 PM »
I carry a "Tippit" made knife in my arm guard [ hand forged, with bone and cocobolo handle, and beautiful file work. [ Oh I love that knife, her name is "Little Razor" 2 1/2 blade and 5 1/2 OA.  Jeff makes real works of art!!!

On the belt is a "Shrew" with Sambar scales 3" blade and 7" OA, she's Very pretty with all of the file work.  Holds it's edge well gets scary sharp and had the sheath signed by Ron.

Just "Scored' a Beautiful 1915 patented "Marbles" with Iron Wood grip and beautiful slightly up-swept blade at the "Rock Shoot". Beautiful bluish patina on the blade [not ground down from sharpening as many old ones are Also, verrry sharp. [ That ones staying in the gun safe as I don't think I've ever seen another that old as nice. ]

Gene  :wavey:    :jumper:
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 02:39:00 PM »
I carry a Camillus muskrat, 2 3" clip blades in my pocket. It is good for cutting around the rectum. I also carry a Dozier guide knife in my pack for opening the sternum since I am on blood thinners I like to see what I am doing now.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 02:45:00 PM »
I carry either my 1959 Case leather ring handled sheath knife or my 1969 Queen #98.  I just feel good carrying the originals!

Offline Migra Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 02:51:00 PM »
I have a handmade custom hunter done by RobTattoo on this site that I carry in the woods, and a Buck Strider Tarani Police knife I carry for work.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 02:57:00 PM »
Kershaw Leek in the right hand front pocket.
Eveready in a pocket when I hunt. (No-name Italian-made three-blade folder with lignum vitae scales. Bung reamer.)

Buck Vanguard in the fanny pack or quiver.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 03:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by Killdeer:
Kershaw Leek in the right hand front pocket.
Eveready in a pocket when I hunt. (No-name Italian-made three-blade folder with lignum vitae scales. Bung reamer.)

Buck Vanguard in the fanny pack or quiver.

Killdeer
I'm pretty sure that this is just the tip of the iceberg.  ;)

Offline Froggy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 03:09:00 PM »
A Calmont Skinmaster I have carried for twenty plus, been a good one. Can remove the handles for cleaning, and has a fold down gut hook....

Froggy
TGMM  >>>>---------> Family of the bow

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 03:15:00 PM »
I love my case stag handle saber blade pocket knife . I used to carry big knifes but over the years but this knife is just the right size for about any skinning job I may encounter .

Mike
" Live long and prosper "

Offline Stickbow98

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 03:35:00 PM »
Handy as all hell and always with me when I'm bowhunting is my little Zebrawood gripped RobTattoo "Rectum-Wrecker" on my 6500 mile Collaboration Armguard...

On my belt on ANY type of hunt is either my Custom Ray Hammond Amboyna Burled scaled Damascus beauty

or my Bocote & Damascus slicer by Skullworks

In my pack is always the Outdoor Edge Saw/Knife set my sons gave me for my 1st Elk hunt to help "Cut 'em down to size!"    :thumbsup:  

And I NEVER leave home for anywhere w/o a Leatherman tool of one version or another with me!!    :notworthy:   (I count that as a blade too!)

>>--Ron--<>
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JimmyC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 03:35:00 PM »
1. Anymore I ALWAYS carry my super thin Swiss Army that is simply a 2" blade + beer bottle opener w/screw driver tip.  This has to be the handiest and most easy to carry knife ever made.

2. Benchmade Mini-Griptilian clipped to my inside front right pocket.

3. When afield I carry in my pack or in sheath either a Spyderco Bill Moran (fixed blade) or Helle Harding depending on my mood and what I am hunting.

4. For a lot of kitchen duties, boning, and filleting fish I use my Helle Steinbit quite a bit too.

5. I've got a beautiful Helle Nying in the safe but just haven't used it much yet, although it's begging to clean some rabbits/squirrels this fall.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly."--G.K. Chesterton

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 03:44:00 PM »
Rat Cutlery RC-4 for all around camp/survival knife that has been used to butcher bear as well. 4" blade there abouts with Molle back. High carbon 1095 steel. You can sharpen it on a rock. Perfect "all-around" knife in my opinion that I never hunt or camp without. Batoning, skinning, you name it-this'll work! Helle Fjellman for skinner. Kershaw "Scallion" clipped to pocket when I hunt and as everyday carry tool. Assisted opening. Had a Becker BK-9 camp knife but I can't find it anywhere!   :(
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 03:58:00 PM »
I always have a Case trapper or midfolding hunter in my pocket and for hunting hunting or fishing I always have a belt knife of some kind on, some custom some production
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 04:00:00 PM »
Always carry a Buck Lite folder and a Leatherman Tool on my belt, Strapped to my pack frame is a Kabar Marine issue from WW II that a friend gave me. With the Buck and the Leatherman you can do just about anything... with the big Kabar you can do EVERYTHING.........>>>>----> ron w
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2009, 04:02:00 PM »
Steve, Not sure I want to see that RC-4 after you sharpen it on a rock    :bigsmyl:  

Oh, I just carry any old knife laying around here    ;)   tippit
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2009, 04:06:00 PM »
Top one bowhunting, bottom one with my flintlock.

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2009, 04:43:00 PM »
I've carried every brand pocket knife I know! I now carry a swiss army knife! best pocket knife I have found. On my belt I carry a small capper made by Doug. In my pack I carry a  skinning knife with a gut hook, I think it's a outdoors edge. Jason

Offline unclewhit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2009, 04:44:00 PM »
I carry a Buck folding knife and a Buck fixed blade in my backpack, and a small Kershaw folding "jack knife" in my right front pocket. Over 12 years of guiding, my knives have seen a few critters.
unclewhit
Bob lee signature series
Schafer Silvertip
Howard Hill "Tembo"

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2009, 04:49:00 PM »
Once Shell make this one purrty, someone might want to carry it.  Keep an eye on St Judes...tippit

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©