3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: tradgangers elk hunt  (Read 3222 times)

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
tradgangers elk hunt
« on: May 06, 2009, 06:38:00 PM »
i sit here and read all of these awesome stories of tradgangers getting together for hog,bear etc hunts, but they all seem to be to far away for the west coast trads to go on.i propose we get an elk hunt going for oregon.let me hear your ideas and thoughts on this matter,will have to be season after this as i have to take ben hunting this season and really want to give him a great hunt.unless he agrees to this season,totally up to ben.....lets here your ideas........larry
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: tradgangers elk hunt
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 06:54:00 PM »
elkherder-if it is next season, count me in! I am not a west coaster, but I have friends in OR and I could maybe make it a hunting trip/vacation trip rolled into one. Keep me informed and thanks! Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 06:56:00 PM »
right on...will do
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 07:32:00 PM »
I have 1 trad ganger coming out this year and possibly 2. It is just a matter of finding enough elk herds to go around.

What side of Oregon were you thinking about having the hunt east or west?

I am thinking Western Oregon because there are more stable elk herds and larger numbers.
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 07:39:00 PM »
i like eastern...hunted burns area 15 years ..plenty of elk...grew up on the coast and theres more on the coast but its steeper country...guess its a toss up....i was actually thinking of mt hebo on the coast...great area with elk all over it

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 07:46:00 PM »
on another note if we did choose mt hebo there are several small lakes that are remote and great camping spots very close to the elk hunting grounds

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 07:50:00 PM »
Keep me in mind for next year. Let's talk about this same time and set up a weekend or three to scout the areas.

Paul
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 07:52:00 PM »
cool....sounds good.....you ever hunted mt hebo?

Offline Santiam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 08:00:00 PM »
Last time I saw some easteners try to hunt the coast they couldn't figure out how to get off the road...They just kept bouncing off the brush...   :scared:  

Unless you are from around here and know the coast,it is cruel and unusual punishment... LOL

Good luck...
Good Arrow Flight   >>>-------->

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 08:11:00 PM »
yup...its fun watchin'em huff up and down the draws through the salmonberry,blackberry and the creeks at the bottom of every one of them...i grew up just south of tillamook (hebo area) love hunting there.you wanna go santiam?

Offline Tree Killer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 08:22:00 PM »
The only place I found steeper terrain and thicker brush then the coast was the North Fork of the Walla Walla River in Northeast Oregon!     :readit:    :saywhat:

Why don't you hunt in Washington?
"stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

Offline Outwest

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 08:25:00 PM »
Santiam thats funny I laugh everytime someone not used to the coast looks at the salmon berry brush and reprod and says thats where the elk are?

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 08:37:00 PM »
oregon born and raised...never hunted wa,probably never will...i'll pay out of state fees.i know oregon and i'm too old to start finding new grounds

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 08:49:00 PM »
There's no brush on the Coast!  Ha, ha, ha!  For those who don't know, the current archery world record Roosevelt elk came off of Mt. Hebo.  I might be in for a hunt with you, keep me up to date!    :campfire:

Offline recurvericky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 08:56:00 PM »
What is the cost for out of state tags and License? I hunted eastern Oregon about 12 years ago and had a blast. I would love to go back.
Recurvericky
Richmond, Ks

Traditionalist have more fun!

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2009, 09:00:00 PM »
2009 Non-resident hunting licence $76.50
Non-res elk tag $361.50

Most of the Coast you can take "Any elk"!

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2009, 09:04:00 PM »
Not all of us stay on the roads  ;)  It was smokin hot when we were there. No rain, mist nothing after the first morning and the elk dove off the mountain and headed down. Well we went after them day after day all the way to the bottom.

Most beautiful country I've ever hunted in but the tuffest also. You better be in awsome shape to hunt them mountains. But I'd do it again in a heart beat   :D  

We had much better luck on the east side, Dang cats were every were though and people don't seem to bother them.  :eek:  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2009, 09:22:00 PM »
what no room in camp for an East Coaster?
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2009, 09:54:00 PM »
Wow...that isnt totally outrageous....Hmmm...I will be watching this thread for sure.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Santiam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2009, 09:58:00 PM »
The east side of the state is not what it used to be for those that haven't been here in a while..Not even close...  :(

Here is a couple Rosie bulls I seen the other day west of Eugene..Starting to get some growth...

Good Arrow Flight   >>>-------->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©