3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: tradgangers elk hunt  (Read 3227 times)

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: tradgangers elk hunt
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2009, 10:26:00 PM »
Sounds like majority is aimiing for next year, based on the replies thus far.  Larry, I ain't greedy.......someone else wants to come, no problem here >>>--------> a couple more hands just means less work when an elk goes down  :bigsmyl:  from an Ancient Spirits sent arrow!  :bigsmyl:    :jumper:  

Ben
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2009, 11:02:00 PM »
how about the eagle caps wilderness area?
Make a life, not a living

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2009, 09:28:00 AM »
slivrslingr....my brother is the hunter who took that world record bull...mt hebo,i know exactly where too.  :readit:  its not to bad up on hebo if ya stay out of the draws
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2009, 09:34:00 AM »
if an easterner wants to go then you're more than welcome to join us,i'd love to go to the caps but my leg problems force me to stay outta there this year,maybe next year i can.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2009, 10:55:00 AM »
you coming from japan to hunt elk? you da man slivrslingr........

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2009, 10:05:00 PM »
I lived in PC for 8 years and still have family there, so I come back every year for a visit.  Due to other commitments, I won't be hunting elk in Or this year but hope to next year.  My residency is in Wa so I'll be hunting there this year.  I always enjoy going into Fox Grocery and seeing your brothers elk, it's a heck of a bull!

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2009, 01:11:00 AM »
yup...big bull fer sure...good thing it didnt get burned up in that kimmels s-goods fire in tillamook...thats where it used to be...i grew up in sandlake,cloverdale area and pc...and hebo...and beaver...  :banghead:

Offline greenhed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2009, 01:28:00 AM »
I lived in Medford for a while, now reside in Boise.  I would love to join yall next year.  Hopefully ill be able to leave the wolves behind.
"Do justly, love Mercy, walk Humbly"

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2009, 07:59:00 AM »
About the only thing that bites on the coast is salmonberry, blackberry, mosquitos, no see ums, and the occasional devilsclub patch!  No wolves there.  Oh yeah, sometimes a whole herd can be within spitting distance, you can hear them, but can't see a hair, thanks to the brush, so that can bite too!  On the up side, if you're into selfbows, the stands of vine maple can get distracting!

The Kimmels fire was a tragedy, they had quite a collection of rare and collectable lead launchers that burned up.  Is the head in Fox's a replica or the actual rack?    :archer:

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2009, 08:36:00 AM »
How far from the Portland area are you talking about? I have a friend living there I have not seen in years and would love the chance to make a dual purpose trip. Besides, I'm loving the probable cost of this hunt compared to others I have been dreaming about.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2009, 09:39:00 AM »
Larry, you can count me in. I was hoping to tag along with you and Ben this year but, the military is sending me to some schools around that time. I am definitely interested in a Tradganger elk hunt next year though and will do what I can to be available for any help. Take care.
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2009, 12:52:00 PM »
jerry...the coast range is about two hours from portland....i think its the original rack...did you ever hear the story behind that bull slivrslingr?

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2009, 12:54:00 PM »
right on tw...should be fun...anyone who wants to go no matter where you live is surely welcome to join us on an elk hunt

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2009, 06:05:00 PM »
Would there be a place to pull a trailer into or is it pack in and tent. Ive never been Elk hunting, always thought about it.

Are they bigger than pigs?  :bigsmyl:
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2009, 06:09:00 PM »
there are spots to put a trailor at a couple of the small lakes

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2009, 07:29:00 PM »
Jerry,
Hebo is about 2 hours from Portland.  

Anyone planning on coming from out of state should plan on spending a few days after the hunt sightseeing and enjoying all the area has to offer.  There's tons to see and do, including some of the best salmon fishing on the coast, there and up around Tillamook.  The Oregon coast is very family friendly if you're thinking of bringing them.

Elkherder, I've heard a couple different versions of the taking of that bull, I'd be interested in hearing it from someone with firsthand knowledge.

Offline Angus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2009, 07:54:00 PM »
Keep me in the loop for next year, Larry?  My daughter just accepted a job with Oregon fish and game, and is on her way to Bend right now to find a place to live.  Maybe we all can work on getting her to leave the wheels at home, and switch to something a little lighter?  I imagine I can wander down from Leavenworth, and I'll bring a bottle o` decent scotch for Silvrslingr as well!  After all, it's better than Advil for those aches and pains!  Strictly medicinal, gentlemen, strictly medicinal   :bigsmyl:
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2009, 08:05:00 PM »
lol.....sounds good angus,maybe we'll have an insider at fish and game eh? lol....bend is a great town.i have been thinking of moving there myself.one thing for everyone to think about is a chartered fishing trip for all of us out of garabaldi or depoe bay...big fun,bottom fishing,halibut etc...around $70 per person for a fun time...something to consider for us..this is the ocean and if you get seasick then maybe not huh...........larry

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2009, 08:22:00 PM »
BIGGER THAN PIGS??????......  :eek:    :eek:    :eek:      :D    :D    :D  .....LOL.......just a little wtpops

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2009, 01:59:00 AM »
Another perk to having an elk tag in Oregon is that if you don't score during September, you can come back and hunt several units for cow elk during the late season in December.  The weather is slightly damper, I've just about had to don scuba gear on occasions, but the rifle hunters are done chasing them and they're herded up for the winter.  And if that's not enough incentive, if you spring for a deer tag, there's some smoker blacktail bucks around.  I actually enjoyed hunting late season more than early, even with the sketchy weather!  Man I miss living there.     :(     :knothead:     :banghead:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©