3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: tradgangers elk hunt  (Read 3224 times)

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: tradgangers elk hunt
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2009, 03:05:00 PM »
Man, you guys are really amping this trip up!!!
Almost makes me want to wait for next year-----ALMOST  :bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:  

Ben
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2009, 03:24:00 PM »
Ben, look at it this way, you can still come next year and you'll be one up on most of us. Good luck this year and hope you score a big one!   :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2009, 04:23:00 PM »
ohhhhhh....ben,ben,ben....you are soooooo gettin videod  THIS YEAR....MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA    :readit:
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline Roger Moerke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2009, 06:58:00 PM »
I would be interested as well, I lived in Astoria long time ago and enjoyed life in those days had young legs then too!
I maybe out there anyway was going this year but lost my job and had to regroupe so will have to wait a year. I have a buddy that likes the east side but eiher or for me.

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2009, 07:03:00 PM »
five yards? hey I'm good with that  :eek:    :thumbsup:  just so long my heart doesn't jump out of my chest.

and if bamboo comes I'll keep an eye on him while he's keeping an eye on southpawshooter

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2009, 08:51:00 PM »
WHAT!!!!  :scared:  Elkherder---- you don't have any tricks up your sleeve do you!  :eek:  That would just be cruel, man!  :bigsmyl:
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2009, 09:14:00 PM »
can ya say VIDEO CAMERA ?????  haaaaaa sounds like we have plenty of hunters..we will have two seperate camps within a mile of each other and we will have to be sure of gps usage and mark your camp and so on.i carry two of them so i'll have one just in case. we also will all have to pitch in and rent some type of emergency beacon for each camp,maybe more than one per camp.looks like a few of us will be goin up early to set things up so i'll have to talk a couple locals into going..(woodpiles,meatpoles,clear campspots,build fire pits etc)........whew...i ever tell ya i type one handed?
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2009, 09:26:00 PM »
i too like the east side hunting more because of the clear and not so steep factors...hard choice...east has good elk numbers and i know it very well...west has bigger herds but a hell of a lot of brush and steep little draws.its a toss up...east side also shaves off over 300 miles of drive time for anyone coming from out of state....i love the coast but i'm leaning towards eastern or central oregon as i really feel that you cant shoot what ya cant see in the brush and its far easier to get lost in the coastal hills as they all look the same.when i think about it east makes more sense.......larry

Online Guss

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2009, 09:37:00 PM »
Hey guys, if there's room, include me and my Dad, sounds like a great trip!
                        Jr.

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2009, 09:45:00 PM »
done....we'll be stopping accepting hunters before too long as we cannot possibly take everyone.sorry but thats reality.cant take 100 people elk hunting,wish we could but pretty obvious why we cant...........larry

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2009, 10:00:00 PM »
we are at 19 hunters allready...20 will have to be it...i'm sure we'll get some drop-offs but i think one more will do us.....any input on this?

Offline Travisc406

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2009, 01:48:00 AM »
Is this for this year or next year that you are filling up? I would like to be put in for next year if at all possible. Do I tell you Elkherder? thanx, Travis
Never let the truth get in the way of a good story....

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2009, 02:34:00 AM »
next year and yes you are in travis............larry

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2009, 09:30:00 AM »
Larry, you can count me in on the help setting up. Just let me know time in advance as I have too clear it with the Military Department and make sure I can take leave for that time frame. I agree with you on the Central or Eastern part. The coastal region will be a nightmare for those that are not familiar with Oregon and we want this too be a hunt with good memories not painful ones!    :biglaugh:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Brent Hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: May 12, 2009, 11:14:00 AM »
I'm kinda really interested.   When specifically is the season.  I'm assuming in september 2010.  How hard is it to get archery tags for this hunt.  Is it over the counter or draw.  I hunted with paul 2 weeks ago and would enjoy sharing a camp with yall again.  Oh ya, I'm from Texas and I have no idea how to hunt elk.  Any pointers? Bhill

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: May 12, 2009, 12:56:00 PM »
brent...tag and license is over the counter..best thing to do is rent a bunch of elk hunting dvds from a archery pro shop and watch them over and over and get all the info you can out of them....other than that maybe some books.elk hunting is pretty much like turkey hunting in you locate,set up then call em in..little bigger though

Offline Brent Hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2009, 02:19:00 PM »
Sounds like fun.  When you get some more specifics on this hunt, assuming you have room, I'm definately interested.  Thanks Bhill

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2009, 06:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by Brent Hill:
I'm kinda really interested.   When specifically is the season.  I'm assuming in september 2010.  How hard is it to get archery tags for this hunt.  Is it over the counter or draw.  I hunted with paul 2 weeks ago and would enjoy sharing a camp with yall again.  Oh ya, I'm from Texas and I have no idea how to hunt elk.  Any pointers? Bhill
Brent,

It is all over the counter. However, you MUST purchase your tags before opening day. This year opening day is August 29th.

You will want to start a serious excercise regimine if you plan to do this hunt.

I put a 25lb pack on and hike 3 miles every other day right now. I plan to be up to 35lbs and 5 miles by elk season. It is pretty much a stay in shape year round type of hunt.

If you are not in shape, don't bother buying a tag. At least that is my opinion.

I will shoot you an email of my friends bear hunt last Saturday to give you an idea on the terrain and difficulty level.

Were were only in 3 miles and fortunately, our packs only weighed about 50lbs each on the way out.

If you have interest in doing an elk hunt, I recomend purchasing a video library of elk hunts. They really help on calling techniques and learning a bit about elk behavior.

I am new to elk as well, but did manage a nice 335 bull last Sept. with the training wheels.

Paul
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2009, 08:32:00 PM »
ok guys here it is in a nutshell...go to google earth and type in:  delintment lake oregon .this is an absolutely beutiful area with the lake stocked with big fat trout,i've pulled 18 inchers from it several times so they are there.very nice camping area.we can hunt behind the lake and we are only twenty miles away from my favorite hunting spot in the world.
 i chose this area for several reasons,actually more for the east coasters because i want you to have one of the best hunts ever.fishing,campfires allowed,showers,great scenery and i really dont want people who may have a hard time climbing up and down hills all day to get discouraged and give up and sit in camp and feel left out...i hate that and wont allow it unless yer dyin or something.camp lounging is only for me   :readit:  lol... the sheer number of people going is another reason this is the place we should go...when its time i'll be reserving the campground for us..we'll have plenty of rigs to go to areas to hunt,there are plenty of elk and deer so you never know it could happen to anyone at anytime.we are going to have several guys taking charge of small groups of hunters to show the first time elk hunters the ropes...I NEED VOLUNTEERS with elkhunting experience at least two more locals if we can....i ever tell you guys i type one handed?     :bigsmyl:

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2009, 09:03:00 PM »

heres one pic of delinment campground area

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©