3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How trad do you go???  (Read 1358 times)

Offline Willrett

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How trad do you go???
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2009, 09:19:00 AM »
I can see your point but do you not think that what actually cheapens the whole experience is wearing specially designed clothing that makes you completely blend in with any kind of terrain with out thinking. I could go set up a full camo blind wear full modern camo and basically disapear on a trail that my camera seen game moving on or I could hunt like people have long before someone created those items. I have nothing against using anything modern for anyone who wants to use it however I believe that the more challenging something is the more fun it is. I could go drop a deer at a thousand yards with a gun, use a compound so that most of the aiming is done for me, or even use a scoped crossbow but I choose to shoot trad because its not that easy.

But I'm not sure that I can agree that it cheapens the experience to hunt the way our ancestors did. I dont think in a million years (if people still hunt) when everyone has a laser weapons and invisibility cloaks, they will say it cheapens the hunting experience by using today's camo and firearms.

And no I wont kick you everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Until next time
Willie
Ranger in training
Ben Pearson Strato Jet 50# recurve

Offline champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2009, 10:29:00 AM »
Interesting...I had no idea that so many where into the Medieval thing(per link above)...really no different than me prefering modern camo though, do whatever makes it fun for you.
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2009, 01:09:00 PM »
Guys Guys Guys, whats worng with the way we hunt... I hope u all seen that I am a part of them.... I enjoy all parts of archery and archery history...  Yes there are many people who enjoy the Medieval Hunting.....  We pick are  clothing for the terrain we hunt... what we wear is a 100% better then camo as we do blend in with the back gounds like if we are hunting in the woods where it's green and brown we will wear green and brown clothing... as if u where to out us out there with that on we are hard to pick up in the woods thats what made a Medieval archer's so good... If u put some one out there in camo in the green woods u can pick them up..... U guys just should try Medieval hunting it's a great time and lots of fun.... don't knock it tell you try it kind of thing.......

take care guys,

Cody
We as archer's must keep it alive by helping others into the sport WE LOVE.

Offline Bowhuntah

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2009, 01:16:00 PM »
Kinda seem like the "trekkies" of the archery world.
Everybody loves archery... some just haven't tried it yet.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2009, 01:18:00 PM »
Sorry, but it just looks silly. I think the deer and elk would laugh at me if I wore that. I agree...NO tights! Not in camp or when riding bicycles.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2009, 01:22:00 PM »
LOL wow u guys think deer and other game care what u wear in the woods.. I would think they would laugh  at all of you who do wear camo.....

Like I say you guys need to try it.....

There has been more game killed in the Medieval times then today.... and the archer's didn't wear camo......

Offline Capt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2009, 01:23:00 PM »
It is just different but clothes are clothes.  I think it is just a little different then painting your face and looking like Rambo.  I think it is cool that there are people out there that want to hunt like our ancestors.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2009, 01:26:00 PM »
Not my cup tea!!!!!!! But if it works for you , great!... :)
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2009, 01:37:00 PM »

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2009, 01:40:00 PM »

Here a small group of us guys shooitng for the day...

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2009, 01:52:00 PM »
Cody, I think it is neat.  Back in the 50's, guys would dress up in Sherwood garb from time to time to have shoots, etc.  I guess some today are just to prissy to bend to the old style.  Archery is about camaraderie and it is evident that you guys share that; it shows on the faces.

We have become so "modern" oriented anymore that we disdain such practices as silly. Perhaps we have forgotten how to have fun in a sport that is supposed to be fun.   Good job Cody.

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2009, 02:03:00 PM »
George thanks my friend... I have some old archery magazine's from the 50s that show guys in there Sherwood grab... It's also for me  has to do with the history of archery as well...

I also know where you are coming from when you say modern.....

Take Care,

Cody

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2009, 02:33:00 PM »
I can see wearing plaid wool shirts and stuff. But to look like one of Robin's merry men...? I like getting together for shoots, fellowship, and good times. But to look like a Medevil archer I don't get it. Must be a flaw in my character...prissy...not at all. Just not my cup of tea. If I shot a muzzeloader I wouldn't wear a coonskin cap either. If you like dressing up and thinking in hysterical..I mean historical... terms...great.

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2009, 03:00:00 PM »
I understand it ain't every person cup of tea..

Cody

Offline Willrett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2009, 03:08:00 PM »
why would plaid wool shirts be different then green or brown solid and how about the wool camo pants that alot of people have why would be be so "crazy" if they were just brown. Basically if you change the color of modern camo solid browns and greens and change plastic buttons to wood or bone its "Hysterical". As Cody said its history, if you choose to shoot a muzzeloader and wear frontiersmen style clothes because its your favorite period whats wrong with that.
Until next time
Willie
Ranger in training
Ben Pearson Strato Jet 50# recurve

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2009, 07:54:00 PM »
Nothing is "wrong" with it.

Offline Swamp Pygmy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2009, 08:24:00 PM »
Well I'd like to preface this by saying I don't really care personally. But I don't think peoples opposition has been very well articulated so I'll be devils advocate for the sake of argument...

In todays age of people being alienated from hunting, and nature in general, a question people are often left with is: "Why do people hunt?". People really don't know or understand anymore. The reasons people hunt are as diverse as the person hunting I suppose, but the average person is left to make up their mind from fairly little information on a passing stranger. Other than that he is wearing camo, an orange hat, and carrying a bow they don't know anything about you. They might assume something pretty negative, like that you enjoy hurting animals, or they might think something less outrageous like you enjoy a few hours in nature for peace and quiet after months of work in a factory or where ever.

The problem is that a fairly ignorant, but apathetic segment of society (nonhunters) controls all of our destiny as hunters by what they think and vote. When folks see guys dressed in tights and chain mail and referring to themselves in medieval character names people chuckle and think they are eccentric, but living out their fantasies isn't hurting anything but their social status. But when they find out they aren't going to archery ranges, but are going to hunt animals. Not only that but they have higher levels they reach by killing more animals like characters in a Role Playing Game. It starts looking like maybe it isn't harmless, maybe it's adults living out fantasies at the animals expense. Given what people see about canned hunting operations and so forth you can imagine what snowballs from this direction of thought about hunters and hunting. It's better they stay apathetic than to have them become anti hunters.

Hunters have a lot of pragmatic and realistic reasons why it is okay to hunt. In almost every instance wild animals lead a much nicer life than those raised to be slaughtered. Our dollars make it economically viable to preserve the habitat for these very creatures and thus actually protecting their herd numbers by being able to hunt them. A bulldozer can do much more damage in a month than the most unscrupulous hunter ever could in his lifetime. But these and the other more intellectual ideas take time to explain, and they can fall on deaf ears if people have set opinions and have something memorable to hold onto like a guy shooting squirrels out a tree with a home made cross bow while dressed like robin hood. When people see the average hunter they have to guess why he hunts, and maybe even ask him. When they see you dressed like that they have already made up their minds and may even purposely avoid talking to you, much less giving your opinions much credence if they do.
South Louisiana Longbow Shooter

The only trophy you'll ever bring home is a good time. The rest is just meat. -SP

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2009, 08:28:00 PM »
Guys the last thing I wanted to do is start an argument.. very well put Swamp Pygmy

Offline Leo L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2009, 08:57:00 PM »
Wow, reading these posts really tells you how much people are so in touch with the modern world and are so lost about the ways of the past.  I don't see anyone in the picture Cody posted wearing tights.  I would love to someday be able to head into the woods wearing clothing which I've made myself from leather I gathered myself.  I'm not talking every hunting trip, but it would be an enjoyable trip into the past, kind of like a time machine.  I don't care for the modern camo anymore, to me it's just a brilliant marketing strategy which obviously worked.  Animals don't see colors in the same way that we do.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2009, 11:27:00 PM »
I have friends who go to the medieval gatherings; they dress the part, and these festivals get bigger each year.  I think we can try to cerebralize things to eternity and still be way off target.  It's better to enjoy the friendship of those who are of like ilk and to heck with anyone who doesn't "get it."

I wonder what they thought of it in 1953 when they showed it in Archery Magazine. Back then it was guys and gals enjoying life and a sport that has recently become something much different I fear.  Archery is more then bowhunting, and it may pain you to know that there are many more archery who don't hunt, than do.  

Bravo to you and your friends Cody.  Stop by sometime and we'll break open a keg of ale, and get away from these high-strung (pun intended) city boys 8^).

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©