3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: have i left it too late???  (Read 288 times)

Offline brumski

• Trad Bowhunter
have i left it too late???
« on: May 07, 2009, 02:40:00 AM »
hi guys, i'm new to this fine forum, and new to archery, i'm 56 now and was wondering if i might have left it a little too late to start. my interest is hunting with the trad style bow. i would have gotten involved in bowhunting many years ago but it is illegal in the uk (forgot to mention i'm from england)however, five years ago i bought a house in bulgaria (don't ask!!)and of january this year bulgaria has become the latest country to embrace the noble art. so this opens up a fantastic opportunity for me.so,have i left it too late??

kind regards, brumski

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: have i left it too late???
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 03:10:00 AM »
Your never too late.  Congratulations on the tenacity to stay interested.  There is lots of good info on this site and many people with decades of experience.  Check out the different forumns and don't be shy about asking questions.
Several people from Europe are members and seen posting here quite often.

If, and when, you decide to acquire a bow be sure and put the "Macho Feelings" aside.  Depending on your stature and size, besure not to over bow yourself on your first one. Many folks here including myself will tell you that over and over.

I would suggest nothing above 40# and quite possibly less, as you need to develop correct form and confidence first of all.  A bow that is too heavy will cause many bad habbits to develop right off and they very hard to overcome. They can also cause one to loose faith in ever being able to enjoy the pleasure of what your doing.  Let your skills improve and your confidence soar and soon you can move up to a bow of true Hunting weight. [ there are usually minimum weight limits set by the country or state in which you may choose to hunt.]

Another suggestion, would be to place a post here in this forumn asking if there are other traditionl archers in or near where you live. I think you may be surprised at how many that might be.  They, being close, could be a fountain of help and be able to answer many questions you may have.

Welcome aboard..hold on tight!... your starting a long wonderful trip.  :wavey:
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline Wolfkiss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 03:28:00 AM »
Hi Brumski,
             This is a great site for the trad archer, you have come to the right place for info.

I live in old blighty too, you should check out the forum of the British bowhunters association,
as Gene says, there may be someone right on your doorstep who can help. We have quite a few die hard trad shooters amongst our ranks.

Here's the link,

www.bowhunters-forum.com/

Regards, Andy.
Hunting was hazardous, but at least it guaranteed the freedom of the individual.

There is no doubt that the onset of farming saw the end of leasure for the majority of people, who were destined to toil in the fields.

Offline brumski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 02:07:00 PM »
thanks for the advice and ecouragement Gene, will start off low'ish draw weight and get the form right first (hey look at me, just one day on the forum, and i'm already talking like an old hand)lol.
Andy, i've checked out the bba forum, will be posting before too long, thanks mate.

brumski

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 02:24:00 PM »
Welcome and the A #1 rule is, HAVE FUN!!
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 02:52:00 PM »
Brumski, Welcome to Trad Gang! I have only been at trad archery for a few years now but you have come to the right place for help. Just an outstanding site and a better collection of folks you won't find anywhere. I do watch "House Hunters International" on the Home & Garden channel here in US but I don't think they had your search for a hunting place in Bulgaria on yet. Glad to have you!! John
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 02:53:00 PM »
Good to have you amoungst us!  There is nothing like bowhunting, and it's never too late to start.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 03:28:00 PM »
no you are not  too late.  I'me 59 and have been more successful with my long bow the last 4 years than ever before.  "I walk less and see more."  Get a game cart from Cabellas and go get them.

Joe
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©