3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Would like thoughts on BW vs ACS  (Read 772 times)

Offline sd_archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Would like thoughts on BW vs ACS
« on: May 12, 2009, 12:06:00 AM »
Hi, I'm looking for a new stickbow. I have been shooting a Bear Takedown. I'm looking at the BW PMA or A&H ACS. I would value opinions about them, preferably from people that have shot both. Although i can test a BW, shooting an ACS before I buy is not possible. Thanks to all for any input.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Would like thoughts on BW vs ACS
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 12:37:00 AM »
I own ACS CX's and one A&H one piece. I have shot the PMA several times; but don't own one. The similarities are price, performance and quality.
The differences are considerable.....the PMA is a heavy take down recurve and the 'feel' is completely different-the ACS is much more refined and sophisticated-meaning quieter, smoother and less 'blocky'. You really need to shoot the ACS to make the comparison and decide which is right for you.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 12:47:00 AM »
As much as they cost you need to shoot both and make a decision before laying down your money.

If they were my only choices and I had to pick a bow although I prefer longbows I would go with the BW.I just don't shoot good enough to shoot the ACS bows well and anyone can drive tacks with a Widow.To me it is all about where the arrow goes.  :)
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 01:15:00 AM »
widow and i've never shot an acs.to me traditional archery does not have the word aluminum in it.how i see it  :readit:
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 06:49:00 AM »
ACS's were(and still are) made from wood long before the AL. one's came out....

Metal risers have been around a long,loooooong time!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline gilf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 06:54:00 AM »
I have owned and shot both, only have ACS's now so that tells you which I would chose.

But... I regret selling the widows that I owned, both are excellent. I would say that the ACS is very small, it suits me but the grip and feel tend to be the main issues people have with them. In comparison the PMA for me is like holding a brick with limbs on, pretty heavy in the hand too.

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 08:13:00 AM »
If you can wait and can spend a little more money.Look into the Habu Vyperkahn w/ triple carbon lam. longbow limbs.Gives you the look & feel of the Widow w/ performance of a ACS.On top of that.Chris has a way of putting wood veneers over the carbon lams to give you the glass limb bow look.

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 02:27:00 PM »
those habus are spendyyyyyy for sure...wonder if b/w will ever start making carbon limbs...what does carbon do for you? i've never shot a carbon limbed bow...curious is all
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline sd_archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 03:30:00 PM »
Thanks for the input so far guys, I called BW this morning and have a PMA on the way, with an asbell and standard gripped risers to "test drive". I am going to see if i can find someone around here that has an ACS to try.

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 04:07:00 PM »
I own a PSA V, PMA X, A&H ACS/CX (16" RC Riser) and have owned a ACS/CX (standard riser).

You can not beat the quality of eather bow. You can not beat the service of eather company.

As far as shooting. I find the widow to be more forgiving of form mistakes, the ACS will let you know if you mess up. The widow is a much heavier bow (leads to the forgivness). The balance of the ACS is unbelivable. When you get the ACS tuned and dialed in and do your part it is amazingly accurate. I have scored my highest 3D scores with the ACS.

I have taken both to the field and they both have scored. If i was leaving hog hunting today it would not matter to me which one i grabed off the wall.

One note: my widow has been through hell and back, durabilty of the widow is amazing.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 10:16:00 PM »
the PMA has alot of mass weight and will cover up way more shooter errors than the ACS

Offline centaurshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 10:24:00 PM »
widows are about as durable a bow as exists, except perhaps the habu.  now, the performance difference b/w the two with standardized strings is about 3-4 fps all things equal.  the widow has a very very forgiving braceheight and will cover up many errors in form.  the acs is lighter, quieter imho and not a touchy bow but not as forgiving as the widow.  it's a pick'em situation.

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 10:42:00 PM »
I currently own both and think that both are outstanding bows in terms of performance and design.  Which bow will be a better match for you is impossible to say given that the grip, weight, and overall feel of each bow is so different.  I agree with the advice about trying to shoot both bows before making your decision.
Personally, I prefer my Widows over my ACS bows...but that is simply because they match my shooting style and preference for a forgiving bow more closely than the ACS.  Both bows are top notch in terms of quality, so you can't go wrong there.  Find the one that feels the best in your hands, and you'll have a winner no matter which you choose.

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline sd_archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2009, 10:49:00 PM »
I now have an ACS on the way to test as well. It will be nice to shoot em side by side

Offline grizzlyxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2009, 11:28:00 PM »
I own a blackwidow pma and it is the best bow I have ever shot, at least for me.  I have been fortunate enough to shoot the standard and long riser acs.  The acs is a very quite bow but very different than the BW pma.  BW by far more stable and forgiving, and they are quite to.  That being said get the one that fits your style the best.  Good Luck!

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2009, 11:46:00 PM »
I have three ACS CX's, 14" Bocote, 14" Zebrawood and a 16" RC in Cocobolo. 62", 64" and 66" limbs that I mix and match with the risers. They are the most accurate bow's I've ever shot. That being said I have a 62" MAIII that I bought new in 1997. As much as I love shooting the ACS's the Widow is the bow I would never sell.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2009, 11:02:00 AM »
Makes it tough when there are so many quality bows available!  ;)

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2009, 05:05:00 PM »
The two bows you mention are so very different it's hard to compare them.  The ACS is more like a sports car and the BW is more like a Hummer.  Both are good at what they do but just different.  I prefer the ACS but that's because I like the light weight and the beautiful shape.  Others like the BW's stable shooting and their solid feel.  You can be proud of owning either one.
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2009, 07:22:00 PM »
Buy them both, then your done. Look in the classifieds, you just might be able to afford them both.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2009, 07:53:00 PM »
I echo Horn Shooter's perspective.  They are very different bows.  I think the BW is closer to your Bear takedown in weight and feel.  Yeah, I have one of those too. I've always liked sleeker, physically light and small risered bows, thus I'm shooting ACS.  By the way, I don't think an ACS gives up anything to a BW in terms of stability.  They're both excellent bows.  You really should shoot each to determine which is best for you.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©