3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: UPDATE Look who I saw last night - bears  (Read 875 times)

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
UPDATE Look who I saw last night - bears
« on: May 12, 2009, 12:37:00 AM »
I am going to try the video here..this is when they were coming across

http://s248.photobucket.com/albums/gg163/jerbearyukon/?action=view¤t=MVI_3052.flv  

A beautiful blonde grizzly sow with two georgeous cubs. I saw them crossing the ice from about a mile away and got there as fast I could with the pinzgauer.

this was just before they took off. I got within 50 yards of them before she spotted the pinz though.

She must have thought the pinz was a big male griz cause she stood up when they were walking up the hill and really gave it a good look then she made for the lake again. She will be kicking these two out this year I suspect.

The cubs were playing on the ice and then when they got to where I was they spotted the Pinz and took off.

this is them leaving - they can move

http://s248.photobucket.com/albums/gg163/jerbearyukon/?action=view¤t=MVI_3056.flv  

That was ok cause I wasn't hunting them or I would have been a bit more sneaky. Great night overall - saw 4 goats - these 3 bears - 4 grouse on the road - 4 porcupines and one red fox...stellar.

Now I saw a big boar on the mountain and am going after him on wednesday morning - a friend said he's been hanging around in teh green grass there

Offline Travisc406

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: UPDATE Look who I saw last night - bears
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 01:39:00 AM »
Man I would love to see the yukon!!!
Never let the truth get in the way of a good story....

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 01:54:00 AM »
" I saw them crossing the ice from about a mile away and got there as fast I could with the pinzgauer."

Is 'pinzgauer' Swedish for ex-wife ?    :confused:    :scared:    :saywhat:    :D
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline sleepyhollow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 05:24:00 AM »
swiss army vehicle

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 05:47:00 AM »
Wow! Spectacular and magnificent!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 06:06:00 AM »
Really cool!
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 07:24:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing,great pics
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 07:32:00 AM »
Quote-"Now I saw a big boar on the mountain and am going after him on wednesday morning - a friend said he's been hanging around in teh green grass there".

Go get him Jerry!!! :thumbsup:

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 07:38:00 AM »
Incredible country for sure.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Drew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 08:21:00 AM »
Awesome, looks like spring is starting to show! Great pics, thanks!
Best of luck with the big boar!
Just a Coyote Soul out wandering...

Offline nurayb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 10:14:00 AM »
Everyone should plan a trip through northern B.C. and the Yukon to Alaska in their life time.  It is some of the most amazing country you will ever see.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 12:56:00 PM »
Thats neat stuff!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline stiltzMTA.44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 01:33:00 PM »
thats some good stuff.. would love to see the yukon... and i'd LOVE to cut some hounds loose and a big grizzly  :)  :)  :)
Mountain Traditional Archery
Coker Creek, Tennessee
Stump and target shootin

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2009, 05:57:00 PM »
Looks like those 'cubs' are old enough to get kicked free by the sow this spring; and that will mean a boar will be there...

I am going through a bad case of bear fever- hopefully the road will open so I can get to the bears ...like soon !

Good pictures !!
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline TNstickn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2009, 06:03:00 PM »
Too cool!!! Thanks for sharing..  :campfire:
Pick a spot.>>>>-------> Shoot straight.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2009, 10:59:00 PM »
What a site. You live in a beautiful place. I hope to one dat see some grizz. Great pics!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2009, 12:46:00 AM »
Great pics ... thank you very much, I can sit at my computer in Washington and enjoy the Yukon. Be safe and keep it coming !
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2009, 08:35:00 AM »
Hi Jerry   :wavey:  

Nice footage! How’s the bear hunting going? Any luck since Wednesday? Keep us updated and be sure and throw a picture of the Pinz in your post so the other people can see it.

Good luck my friend and be safe!  :campfire:
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2009, 02:18:00 PM »
Well an update - We went out yesterday - A friend has a bison and elk farm and has been having some trouble with grizz killing calves....anyway I went out to hook up an electric fence..SAW SOME MASSIVE TRACKS WOW.....    :eek:    

Video is in the process of uploading. So after we got her running we went out in the back forty...

We come around a corner in the field and in a little clearing we saw a big pile of earth in the middle of the clearing and something moving on it.

It was a huge GRIZZ and he stood up and looked us over so we drove closer. Well he had enough of that and CHARGED (you can have your four wheelers I will stay with the pinz thanks).

A pic of the pinz and the turrett:

here's one more pic of the pinz

Anyway he stood up and bluff charged us and then ran over the embankment. So we continued forward and found where he had killed a horse (she was old I heard later anyway - probably wasn't going to make the summer)...but he was in the process of burying her when we came in - bad thing to do.

So we pulled the pinz around in the brush down wind and were getting set up when he came flying out of the bush again at us and stopped at about 30 yards...I bout caca'd my drawers....he stood up just popping his jaws....and then he ran in the bush again - he was pissed.

All the time he's blowing loud WOW..my heart was in my throat....So I got set up (RIGHT BESIDE THE PINZ) I wasn't taking any chances..if I had to go I was throwing the bow and into the truck...NUTS

So we waited all day for him nothing - you could hear him once and awhile popping and blowing but nothing we could see.

Foxes and yotes were coming to it all day - I took a few practice shots and in the video you will see as he comes up the arrow in the red part of the skull (.40 on the meter) (perfect). I have the distance - now if I can just keep calm without my lungs and heart pounding so I can't think then I should be ok.

Now you have to realize to this point we have been charged TWICE.....yipper with your fourwheeler I think you would have been lucky to get away..I am a bit nervous (do yuh think).

So who do I see off in the distance...hmm Mr. grizz and he's coming in....he bolts into the bush and chases a coyote off and he's a comin'

I will wait for you to watch the video when it downloads..now...sorry don't want to spoil anything yet.

oops it's done - just watch and look for the arrow in the horses head (.40)...

http://s248.photobucket.com/albums/gg163/jerbearyukon/?action=view¤t=P1000540.flv  

Yup I know I missed him - I can hit  friggin coffee cups at 30 yards, but when my bud said take him - I wasn't quite ready to shoot cause he wouldn't stop moving....so I didn't pick a spot and I missed him..............   :banghead:  

We are going out tomorrow again - give him a days rest...

Jer...bearless

Offline carparcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2009, 02:36:00 PM »
What a great couple of pics.  None of those around my part of the world.    :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©