3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow Quiver or not ?  (Read 425 times)

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow Quiver or not ?
« on: May 12, 2009, 07:28:00 AM »
I have a 3 piece Fire Fly longbow and I am trying to decide weather to put on a quiver and what kind if I do. I have allways used a back quiver of some sort and I like the idea of taking it off when I get to where I am just like in my wheel bow days I allways took of my quiver when I got on stand. I really dont like trying to reach for arrows from the back quiver when it is on and I also hate trying to menuver around the woods with it, it seems to constantly get hung up on something and takes the stealth out of alot of movement. Anyone else have this decision to make and what did you decide. What quiver should I go with and why.

Thanks
Terry
US ARMY 1984-1988

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
Re: Bow Quiver or not ?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 07:38:00 AM »
it's all a matter of subjective opinion and all the words from everyone won't do justice until you try out various quiver styles for yerself.

i used an ultra light eagles flight archery (trad gang sponsor) limb bolt bow quiver on my firefly and loved it.  

also, fwiw, the new safari tuff (trad gang sponsor) arrowmaster quiver is the BEST back/side quiver i've ever used, and it'll be huntin' hogs with me come this june!

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 09:16:00 AM »
My personal opnion for the last 30 years has always been yes. no..yes no wait, no again. I have worn out a couple of quivers taking them on and off. I don't see me changing my mind either.

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 01:28:00 PM »
It's a matter of personal preference and situation. I thought I'd never use a bow quiver again after putting on a heavy 6 arrow quiver and watching my arrows impact 6 inches from where I wanted them to. I took it off after maybe 50 shots and didn't try another one for many years.

About 6 years ago I met a guy who had this little bitty quiver (now our "Mini" - with some modifications) to sell. Although it had some problems, it had a lot of promise, and it did not noticabily change how the bow shot. We bought him out and started making changes and different models. Now we have 5 hood sizes, 6 designs, and strap on, limb bolt, and side mount attachments. We also have a system (Totem) connecting the hood and gripper assemblies to add even more stability.

I really like our bow quivers now and apparantly a lot of you do also. They won't affect your shot like a heavier quiver will. We try to use good design to keep the weight down. Our largest quivers still weighs in at 6 ounces or less. I won the "Eagle Eye" competition at Denton Hill last year with the "Totem" quiver system on a lightweight Beeler longbow. I couldn't even tell it was on there.

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 01:35:00 PM »
Both my Fireflies wear Eagle's Flights.  One is a Mini and the other a Jumbo I, both limb strap on models.  Best of both worlds, even with the loaded mini quiver attached the Firefly will weigh less than most take down recurves would bare.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 01:38:00 PM »
I'm fond of Great Northern quivers. They go on easily, and you can take them off and hang them next to you in a treestand or ground blind.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 02:12:00 PM »
though i haven't tested one out, the new eagle's flight totem bow quiver looks very interesting as that great ultra light weight efa quiver is now a one piece removable unit ....

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline John Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 07:26:00 PM »

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 09:03:00 PM »
Hey John:

We met at the DDC (I was with Page E.).  I'm re-thinking a bow quiver for the fall, and I had a question.

my old Selway had a &$^%& of a time holding the arrows in, securely.  I'm gonna be shooting G5's (montecs) and I was wondering if I'd have any trouble keeping them in one of your quivers.

I think they're by far the best quality i've personally seen......but I do have this worry.

Thanks....and sorry for the mini-hijack.

p.s. It would be going on an RER T/D Recurve.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 09:32:00 PM »
I have a Totem and it is barely noticeable on the bow. Shooting last week with pdk25, Pat showed me his Totem, an adjustable model. Having cut about an inch off of the connecting rod on mine, I thought this was a swell idea, as his quiver adjusts to any length riser.

I have not tried the quivers offered by John Dill, but they appeared to be of a very high quality also.

Some people go for a bow quiver, some don't. Ya gotta try it and see, and give it a good, long try.
Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 09:50:00 PM »
I too shoot a longbow and the idea of putting a quiver on it just detracts from the looks IMO. I used the GFA quiver last season and I must say it worked great for me. Really like the way you can swing it around and carry it any way you like. If you are going to get it be sure to get both size arrow holders. Doesn't interfere with shooting and really handy.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline John Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 09:51:00 PM »
GMMAT

I have personally used the G5 Montecs and know for sure that they work great with the Kanati Bow Quiver. Check out our new products in the sponsors add and here in Powow. Give me a call if I can help you out!  www.kanatiquiver.com

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 09:59:00 PM »
Hello Terry,

I was just down at Cabelas to look at their "Stalking quiver", backpack with a side quiver that goes over one shoulder and I think that's the deal. I didn't buy one but yet but I like the idea. For me , the bow quiver is just holding the arrows until I get in my tree then it comes off. I wear a pack to the stand anyway so why not have it as one unit? Just a thought.

CJ
lll

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2009, 10:24:00 PM »
EFA quivers all the way! So light it does not affect arrow flight on my Turkey Creek longbow or my Martin Hatfield.

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2009, 11:03:00 PM »
Terry, I'm not fond of a bow quiver, I use mostly a longbow & it really seems to unbalance it & unless you use a fletching cover the fletching really moves around. My hands move more than anything & waving feathers around just seems like advertising your presence. I made a GFA copy out of my bow quiver & have used it the last two years I really like it, it's pretty versatile. I use a back quiver quite  lot too. As has been said before you will try several types & pick what you like. I don't think any one quiver will do for every circumstance.  Thanks Frank
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©