3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: stiff arrows  (Read 526 times)

Offline rollin

• Trad Bowhunter
stiff arrows
« on: May 12, 2009, 07:51:00 AM »
I've got a problem with the arrows im using they are Beman ICS 400's cut to 29.5 inches and through barshaft tuning I have added piont weight up to 420 grains (100g. insert+125g. broadhead adap.+190g.field tips+2-5 g. weight washers)but they are still a little stiff. My question is are these just to stiff and should I drop down in spine? or should I continue trying to add weight somehow?thanks

Offline champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: stiff arrows
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 07:58:00 AM »
Recurve or longbow ? cut to center ? Draw wt, draw length ?...Need this info to help you, Thanks
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Offline rollin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 08:06:00 AM »
champ38,Martin X-200 recurve 60" 50@28 draw to 28.5 not sure if cut to center but i have removed the arrow plate and replaced with some supper 33 tape to try and get closer to center also using B-50 string as this bow cant handle fast flight,thanks

Offline Masham Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 08:27:00 AM »
Try adding another 50 grains or so to your point. I shoot axis 400's out of a 55# Black Widow psa. They bareshaft good at 28.5" with 100gr brass inserts and 125 to 150gr point.
Daniel

Offline rollin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 08:45:00 AM »
Daniel,one of the problems im having is I am using the heavest insert,bh adapt,glue on point I can find, not sure how to increse weight with out modifing insert, or if it is worth it? I will say these do fly well and hit like a ton of bricks!

Offline Paul Mattson

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 09:01:00 AM »
Adding more wt is not going to do it, if you are already at 420 grns up front.  Did you start bare shafting with full lenght arrows?  When bare shafting you should start with a full length arrow.  Someone else may have some ideas, not sure what else you can try.  You may have to step down to a 500.

Offline Masham Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 09:07:00 AM »
I should have read a little closer. I had it in my head you were using 225gr up front. I would try trading the 400's for some 500's in the classifieds. They should tune alot better for you.
Daniel

Offline elknut1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 09:22:00 AM »
Waaay too stiff an arrow for your poundage & draw. If you short draw even 1" you're down to pulling 47-48# you will need 500s still with a min of 200 grains up front for tunable arrow flight for your mentioned setup! You can achieve a much more balanced setup by staying with a total arrow weight of 475 grains to 550 grains at your poundage.

ElkNut1

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 11:32:00 AM »
Not to complicate matters, BUT I have a 53 lb Morisson Shawnee lb that shoots .600 with 250 upfront better than what I think Rollin should be shooting - 0.500.

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 04:43:00 PM »
Take you silencers off and replace them with half of what you had....it'll probably be enough to make what you have work....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline rollin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 08:53:00 PM »
Guru,took your suggestion and gave it a try today and it worked great thanks! Bare shaft hitting with feathers out to 20. I also think I will try out some 500's like you all suggested and do some comparing thanks to all.

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 12:44:00 AM »
Awesome another good tip I will remember.  I had never heard that one.  I imagine with that much weight the bow would be really quiet anyway

Offline rollin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 10:19:00 AM »
I would just like to add after shooting some more this morning to double check my results (which were the same), that there is definately more noise and vibration than before. I was using both brush bottons and string silencers. Also I am currently at the lowest recommended brace height with no arrow plate. The bareshafts are indeed hitting with the fletched but from what I have been reading the bareshafts should  show slightly week which brings me back to my original problem of needing to add more point weight or a drop in spine also I would like use  a arrow plate and sliencers which will further stiffen the shaft. The good news is after using the search button and reading up on efoc (which if I did my calculation right i'm sitting at 31.35%) I found something called Woodyweights that are used for wooden shafts, they from what I have read on there site can be used with a broadhead adapter too. They basically sandwich in between the broadhead adapter and the broadhead or field point and come In many diffrent weights! Im guessing I will need another 50 or so grains to set everything back up as before and I think these are just the ticket. I know that this is going to make for a heavy arrow with alot of weight foc but they do really fly great and what is the big deal if I lose a few feet per second? A .223 round moves super fast, but as I was told in boot camp by the DI/range instructor "this round can hit the nee and come out the top of someons head" ie.low weight high speed. On the other hand the heavy speer is the exact opposite ie. high weight low speed. Both will get the job done as they both have both been proven over time.I think im still going to try some 500's and compare them to the heaver/slower 400's and test them head to head for penertration.I just got a fealing the 400's are going to come out on top.Sorry for being so long winded any thoughts, comments, concerns?

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 11:14:00 PM »
Raise your brace hight to the highest recommend. this will weeken the arrow. I know i sounds backwards but its not. Raising brace will make arrow show week.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline rollin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2009, 11:09:00 PM »
Just when I thought I had it all figured out  "[dntthnk]"  thanks!  :)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©