3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: DANG Bowfishing the sport I love to hate  (Read 465 times)

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
DANG Bowfishing the sport I love to hate
« on: May 12, 2009, 12:01:00 PM »
I really just started bowfishing about two years ago.  It really is a kick and I would highly recommend to folks that haven't done it, give it a whirl.  It is addicting.

Now having said that, I also hate it. Why?  Because it messes with my shooting form - alot.  I am not worried about snap shooting or half drawing at times, that is all in the fun of bowfishing.

I am talking about aiming!  Having to aim low, with a heavy arrow etc. takes me some time to get into, and more time to get out of every year.  And this year I can fish one day and turkey hunt this next so I need to mix the "sports".  Life is hard hey.

So my questions are:

How do folks adjust?  

How quickly can you switch?

Do you pick a spot below the fish?

Do you simply learn to lower the point and pick a spot on the fish?  

What's the trick?

Thanks. Dave

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: DANG Bowfishing the sport I love to hate
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 12:14:00 PM »
I just pick a spot on the water below were I want to hit the fish, when there shallow i just pick a spot on the fish. Sometimes I think I just luck out but that's OK too.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 12:53:00 PM »
Just do it. and I'm not talking Nike.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 01:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jerry Jeffer:
Just do it. and I'm not talking Nike.
That sums it up pretty well.  You just anchor and release. You'll naturally compensate. Most of my shots are between 3 and 5 yards, though, but you can sure be surprised at how many fish you can miss at that close range, as well!

I do a lot of wading, and at the first of the season I get over excited and start throwing fiberglass as far out as I can see the fish.  Now, I like stalking up to them and seeing how close I can get...just like hunting pigs!

Offline stiltzMTA.44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 01:41:00 PM »
hey stone knife... that jeep you made with the buttons.... THATS NICE!!!!!!!!  :)
Mountain Traditional Archery
Coker Creek, Tennessee
Stump and target shootin

Offline carparcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 05:08:00 PM »
It just takes missing/hitting a gang load of fish over the years.  Honestly, I don't even pick a spot below the fish.  I just try to figure out how low I need to aim while "aiming" @ the fish.  It's tricky, but lots of fun.  Yes, there are some bad habits to develop, especially on rolling gar!

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 06:05:00 PM »
I used to live where I could bowfish all spring and summer; and I was out there all the time. Like CarpArcher I would just kind of zen the arrow in there- refraction of the light gives you a bad impression of where you think you should shoot.

One day on the opening of duck season; I went bowfishing; and had a flock of ducks come in just as I was drawing on a fish. I took a snap shot at a real real close duck; and then realized two things- one I was ankle deep in mud; and two; when your string runs out; the arrow comes to a stop and comes right back at ya    :scared:  

Bowfishing is really great fun; stalking and getting shots off is more like hunting than fishing  :)
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 07:21:00 PM »
What a coincidence that you would post this! I just got back from shooting at some carp and want to talk to somebody about it but didn't want to post the same old "I got some close shots but no cigar, BUT I had fun" post.

I couldn't believe some of my misses!  :mad:  

I've been trying to figure out the same things. Do I aim high because this 1800 gr arrow drops so fast? Or do I aim low because of the refractory thing?

But dang...it IS fun!

Instead of trying to get in anymore turkey hunting, my son and I went bowfishing because we found a really good spot. I've never seen him try sooo hard to do something. Usually if it isn't easy he quits.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 09:54:00 AM »
Hey I wanted a "magic answer" here. I didn't see it, what's up here??  :-)

Seriously, thanks for the responses.

Like others, I do well with fish close to the surface, but am horrible as the fish get deeper especially when further away from the boat (about 15 yards).   I almost always shoot over them which I can tell as I shoot a white arrow and most times I see it in the water.

Other help? Ideas.

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 10:17:00 AM »
I don't know how many of you tune your fish arrows. But I have started to do that. I shot mine into the ground and they seem to be weak spined believe it or not! I took an inch off my shaft so far and saw improvement. I'm going to take another 1/2 in. off today and see what happens. That in. lightened my arrow by about 50 gr. My arrow now weighs exactly 1750 gr.

Do they have to be soooo heavy? Can a carbon arrow be fixed to use as a bowfishing arrow?
I have some 800 gr. carbons (when I use a 300 gr. point). If I could make a barbed point for them, do you think they would work.

They would not mess with my regular shooting as much.
I know I need to do better at aiming for different situations. ie, If their dorsal fin is above the water, aim normally. If they are totally submerged, aim low.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 11:27:00 AM »
I might be getting a false weak spine "reading" from my arrow flight. That makes more sense. I hadn't thought about that before.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline bowzonly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 09:19:00 PM »
When you start shooting under the fish, thats when you start to understand refraction.

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 09:49:00 PM »
When I go bowfishing I just uaually miss for about the first hour or so until I get tuned in and start aiming low enough.

Bisch

Offline oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 12:28:00 PM »
It's easier to adjust if you are think of it like a gap shooter.  If you shoot instinctive, come to full draw, then with your peripheral vision, use the tip of the arrow as a reference point.  Just conciously move the tip of the arrow a foot lower in relation to the target and let her fly.  Make adjustment up or down (usually down) until you connect.  
Also, the closer they are to the surface the easier it is to hit them.

Offline crafty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 01:55:00 PM »
they say AIM LOW for a reason..  haha  Ive missed 20 ro so Gar already in the last few weeks. It takes a few to get it down.

Got a 7lb gar and a 20lb 12oz blue cat yesterday evening.   2 shots. 2 fish..   ;)
~Archer By Heart, Bowhunter By Blood~

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009, 04:28:00 PM »
Does anyone know offhand if it's legal in California?

"[dntthnk]"   (nothing is here, excempt maybe whacky tabacco.)
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©