3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fox Arctic Fox longbow vibration !!  (Read 945 times)

Offline INstickbowguy

• Trad Bowhunter
Fox Arctic Fox longbow vibration !!
« on: March 22, 2007, 11:03:00 PM »
Just recieved a Fox Arctic Fox t/d longbow...shot a few shots and noticed a some slight vibration....but i also noticed that the strand count in the string looked fairly low....could this be the cause of it ? Also what is the recomended brace height on this bow...? i shot it at 7 3/8......also what are your thoughts on stringing this bow without a stringer ? I dont use a stringer on the classic D shaped longbows....doesnt seem neccesary to me...but i want your opinions also....thanks

Offline Tree man

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fox Arctic Fox longbow vibration !!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 02:58:00 AM »
Adjust your brace height. 9 out of 10 times raising the brace a smidgeon will take the vibes out.

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 06:15:00 AM »
B-50 or low strecth string? If the tips can handle it use low strecth with some type of silencers. Play with the brace hieght.
High on Archery.

Offline bsh_jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 12:06:00 PM »
All of my Fox bows, including my Arctic, brace out higher than that, and yes, they vibrated with the lower brace heights.  I usually shoot them with a flemish 16 strand string of either fast flight plus or BCY8125 with four padding strands of dacron in each loop.  I use Sims compound string leeches tied in place for my silencers.  Not very trad, I know, but it works great and if you play with a chrono for a while and adjust locations of the jax, you can sometimes get no speed loss.

Brannon

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 12:51:00 PM »
Jake I just checked the brace height on my Fox TD longbow. It's 64" 54lb it's the sleeve TD. The Brace height is 7-3/8". I just looked up the recomendations in the instructions Ron & Debbie give with the bow. Their recomendation is a 6-3/4 -7-1/4" brace height & the 66 - 68" longbows are 7 - 7-1/2" brace height.They also state to always use a bowstringer in their instructions.
  Usually Ron & Debbie ship their bows with a rubber cat hair silencer on the string & a nock point installed. I am getting no vibration with my bow. I put on Llama hair silencers, & the nock point was just right for me as it was. If you play with brace hight etc & are still getting vibration I'd call Ron & talk to him he is really helpfull & wants you to be satisfied. Ron & Debbie are great people to deal with so if the problem persists by all means give them a call.I think all of their new bows come with FF strings. My Fox is really sweet, & I'm sure the vibration is just some kind of adjustment as mine doesn't have any.Hope this helps.Frank
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline INstickbowguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 04:19:00 PM »
i think the string may be a low count of strands....looks fairly small in diameter...which can cause extra vibration...My BH is 7 3/8 and nocking point appears ok...i think a FF string with more strands and soem quality silencers will do it...also not sure if my bow is a centerline bow or not...it is a arctic fox sleeve t/d....thanks

Online Rick Wiltshire

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 04:53:00 PM »
The string is a 12 strand D-97 with loops padded to 18 and made by Chad Weaver.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 09:14:00 PM »
I would think strand count would not make much if any difference. I have shot as low as 8 strands of D-97 out of my bows and did not notice more vibration, adjust your brace-height. Shawn
Shawn

Offline jmiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 10:38:00 PM »
If you're used to recurves, then you'll just have to get over the vibration.  All bows have some vibration, no matter what anyone tells you.  More efficient bows with lightweight limbs and heavy risers have the least vibration.  Think Adcock.  Less efficient bows with lightweight risers and heavy limbs have more vibration.  Think Hill style.  Rod Jenkins' Adcock Apogee I shot last summer still had a little vibration, I just had to think about it to notice it.  When the vibration gets bad enough, people call it handshock.  A Hill style longbow shakes my whole arm up into my chest.  I've got a Fox recurve, and I definitely notice a little more vibration on the Fox longbows than on my High Sierra.  He used to make a reverse handle longbow that I shot at Cloverdale a couple of times.  That design had less vibration, but for some reason I've never heard of anyone owning one.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2007, 12:39:00 AM »
I doubt the strand count has much to do with it. I find that the smaller, lighter strings have less vibration than the heavy ones. If you are used to recurves, you may be trying to shoot with a high wrist hold. A low wrist will help reduce some of the felt vibration. Don't over-grip. Squeezing the grip too tight also makes for more felt vibration.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©