3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Unexplained animals when out hunting???  (Read 1455 times)

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Unexplained animals when out hunting???
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2009, 06:35:00 PM »
In parts of the Ocala National Forest and on private properties along the Silver River and Ocklawaha River, hunters occassionally see Reeses Monkeys that are descended from stock that was brought into the Silver River Attractions (Silver Springs, etc.) years ago.  These monkeys can be territorial and aggressive.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2009, 07:46:00 PM »
I've seen a few cats too, but they are supposed to be here.
The strangest I've seen is a coot walking throught the timber at 9000 feet in CO, no water for miles. With bull elk bugling all around. Dad was with me, was weird.
The other was a cow elk running through a grain field about 100 miles east of Ft. collins, CO. Had to pull over cause I couldn't believe it. Was later hunting along the platte and asked a C.O. He said they saw a couple out by Sterling that year. Those are the two strangest.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Butts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2009, 08:29:00 PM »
After a few shots of Truth Serum I saw a Chupacabra, aka Mexican Goat Sucker!
As you swim the river of life, do the breast stroke. It helps clear the turds from your path.  George Carlin

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2009, 09:21:00 PM »
Ryan

A coot????  That is very strange indeed!!!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2009, 09:43:00 PM »
Hey...It's always a good idea to carry a camera with you......"just in case"!

(Excuse the compound......last 4 years' affliction, now cured!)

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2009, 09:44:00 PM »
While hunting in both NC and Fla Ive seen parrots, and other exotic birds in the wild and around bird feeders. They seem to adapt rather well to their new climate by following the local birds.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2009, 10:09:00 PM »
i once saw a three legged fallow buck.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2009, 10:10:00 PM »
In reference to the (inisert your state here)DNR releasing coyotes... I once radio-collared a coyote in Plattsburgh NY that was killed by a car on I-95 in New Hampshire. They will travel a long way when they want to. The don't need to be dropped out of black helicopters to get everywhere they want to go. Back in the 80's my graduate advisor attempted to restore lynx to the Adirondacks in NY. They were recovered everywhere from Maine to New Jersey. Radio collared Mountain Lions have been documented dispersing over 700 miles. Animals will perform some amazing feats. Who knows why they do what they do.

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2009, 10:51:00 PM »
My uncle claims there is a black panther on his farm. Never seen any tracks but they said they have seen it twice in the headlights. This in in SE MN. I had a peacock come into my turkey decoys one year. None of the farmers around had any peacocks, that was pretty cool and we got it on film. Was deer hunting last year and had a fisher come down the tree I was in, pretty hairy and the first one I have ever seen, not that rare I suppose.
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2009, 11:09:00 PM »
How 'bout an Ostrich?  I wasn't hunting but I saw one out behind our church after several months of hearing about a few of them got away from a farmer.  (Coincidentally the ostrich "market" had collapsed several months earlier and it cost more to feed the dumb things than they were worth.)

And how bout a peacock?  Never saw that one in the wild, but we drove by it's pen every Sunday and one day it was gone.  I have several family friends that live in that area and they claimed to have spotted it a few times.

Actually hunting...mmmm...the wildest thing I've seen was probably a coon with no tail. If you think they "move funny" with a tail you oughta see them without it. Looks like they're gonna fall over with every single steps.   Seen one red fox (but that was in a tractor)
Micah 6:8

Offline yekrut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2009, 11:31:00 PM »
I tried that site and could not find much on south eastern ,SD. I'll have to look at when I got more time..
There are many good moccasin tracks along the trail of a straight arrow: ( fox )

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2009, 11:36:00 PM »
I was going down a canyon in the middle of the summer. I had noticed earlier that there were very few deer tracks in the area and the ones I saw were very cagey. I got quite a ways from the road (3miles) when I saw four animals running up from the creek. They had been getting a drink. They were mountain lions. A momma and three almost grown cubs. Now lions live all over in the area where I was but I had never seen one. Then to see four at once was weird. I also didn't think they would have three cubs.  Gary

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2009, 12:26:00 AM »
Holy cow Soilarch saw a red fox on a tractor thats awesome was he a good driver?
I got a buddy who does not lie and he saw a bull elk I kid you not just south of Nevada MO. He put out some doe in heat urine and the bull checked it out and bedded down under his tree for a half hour in November.  He knew no one would believe him so after he got down he filled a baggy full of elk poop to show a few select friends.  He later that day called the game warden for our area and said you are not going to believe me but and the gamewarden cut him off and said you saw an elk, he said yeah.  It had come from Kansas where they have a small herd.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2009, 12:34:00 AM »
Back in the early 80's in Michigan; I was hunting ground hogs with my recurve; sitting that day in a chair near a freshly dug out area. I had a couple hundred yard look at a dirt road; and occasionally something would cross it. A black 'cat' walked out into the road; and I did a double - then triple take on just how big it was. A short time after that - a rabbit hopped out into the road in the same spot.. and I realized that 'cat' was big enough to be a mt lion.
 I don't know what it was; but it took up half the width of the dirt road - tail tip to nose.
 As far as being a pet set free - well I suppose; but I would think that in the next few deer seasons someone would have shot that cat; and nobody did or has to my knowledge ( I moved to Idaho in 85).
 My son is a trapper; and does nuisance trapping around Boise Idaho. Last year he had a 220 conibear trap set on a slide between an irrigation ditch and a pond. He caught an alligator snapping turtle !  It lived; and is on display by the fish and game dept in Boise.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline ductape

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2009, 12:49:00 AM »
I saw a black panther from around 30 yards when a friend and I were hunting back in the late 80's. Scared me senceless! Beautiful animal! Have seen two mountain lion in the laxt two years, MDC is finally admitting that we have them in MO. Foxes and bobcats are common.

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2009, 05:51:00 AM »
Same in CT, DEP/DNR states there are no lions. I've never seen one but others swear they have. The local archery shop had a state DOT worker just clame there was one hit and killed (Photos to Come). The state DEP showed up took and and were off with it. They asked if anyone had photos of it, they wern't to happy. The guys supose to drop them off at the shop he said the cat was 150-175#s. When it comes to cats who knows. Myself I'm still looking for BigFoot!

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2009, 06:31:00 AM »
Well put Ray
Bull

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2009, 10:11:00 AM »
Does a golden pheasant or a piebald deer count?I saw 2 bobwhite quail a while back which is very much lke seeing a unicorn round here.The wierded thing was a big ,black, smelly goat.He had roamed nearly 3 miles from his home.As for cats the only lion that has been shot around here since the 1800s was tested and the dna profile linked him to Mexican cats.Maybe the coyotes brought him here.

Offline Bird Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2009, 10:34:00 AM »
I think American Fishers are often mistaken for black panthers.

Offline Masham Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2009, 10:46:00 AM »
There have been a few mountain lions killed in Oklahoma. That's funny what you guys were saying about the wildlife department claiming they didn't exist. They used to say the same thing here until a few got killed. A rancher out in the panhandle had one killing his livestock. He caught it in the act and called OWD, they came out and shot it. The funny part is they were illegal to shoot until people started complaining. So last year they changed the law, it now says you can shoot one if it is considered a threat or a nuisance. They changed the law by saying cougers are no longer a native species to Oklahoma. Kind of ironic it goes right along with what Ray Hammond said about them not wanting to spend money managing them!
Daniel

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©