3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Maple vs bamboo  (Read 1506 times)

Offline Travisc406

• Trad Bowhunter
Maple vs bamboo
« on: May 13, 2009, 11:46:00 AM »
How would these two woods perform differently as a limbcore and how would the difference feel? thanx Travis
Never let the truth get in the way of a good story....

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Maple vs bamboo
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 12:04:00 PM »
Recurve or longbow?  Regardless, bamboo will be physically lighter, a tad smoother and faster than maple.  That being said, maple is also a very good limb lamination material.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 12:47:00 PM »
I've seen evidence to the contrary. I believe maple will be faster than bamboo.  It's generally understood that maple, elm, and even hickory will out perform bamboo as a core.  Bamboo is normally used in the manufactured "action-boo" variation for cores, and it's value is in it's consistency.  I don't think 1 person out of 100 could tell the difference drawing two identical bows side by side, where one had a boo core and the other maple.  This is just my opinion, based on my bow performance, and a lot of reading.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Bird Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 01:39:00 PM »
As Apex Predator said, action-boo is very consistent. There are a variety of maples and all have different qualities and some make much better cores than others. Hard rock maple would be at the top of my list for a maple core but not all hard rock maple is created equal. I shoot alot and I doubt that I could tell the difference in core material in two identical bows.

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 01:56:00 PM »
I was just wondering the same thing. I am getting ready to order a bow and was contemplating Maple vs. Bamboo core. It is $100.00 difference in cost the Bamboo core being more.
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 01:57:00 PM »
I've noticed that a limb make from hard maple can be a thinnner and get the same draw weight as the same longbow made from action bamboo. I've found I have to make my longbow limbs about .010 thicker with action boo that I would with hard maple or elm. I like action boo because it's easier to make laminations from.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 02:18:00 PM »
The very best shooting longbow I ever made was from maple.RC

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 02:40:00 PM »
I wouldn't put actionboo in the same class with good tonkin bamboo of the kind that Howard Hill or Great Northern uses.  The actionboo perhaps is more consistent, but it adds a whole bunch more vertical glue joints in the laminations, which tends to stiffen the limbs, reducing their springiness.  Good, hand selected bamboo will outperform it in my opinion.

For the same reason, I prefer good hard rock maple over laminated/actionwood maple.

Also, as others have said, all other things being equal, limb width for example, bamboo will be thicker.  Physically, it will still be lighter than hardwoods.  I also agree that the performance differences are small, and most folks won't be able to decipher them without a chrono.

Whichever you choose will work fine.  Good luck.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 02:53:00 PM »
Actually, Tonkin bamboo grows to a max diameter of 2 - 2 1/2", which is too narrow for bow lams.  Much of what is referred to as "Tonkin" is actually something else.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 03:34:00 PM »
I know these are all opinions, so this is mine..... I have always felt that Maple is smoother but bamboo is a little shocky at times but faster due to the lighter weight.  In a couple of bows I've mixed maple and bamboo in a feeling that would work good together.  I've liked the results, but in all honesty that maybe all in my head but I do like the way they seem work together. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 07:47:00 AM »
of all the hundreds of bows i've owned or shot over the last 50+ years, nothing can compare to a well built stickbow using some flavor of real bamboo or cane for the limb cores.  grass in the limbs - either natural one piece or laminated flooring - adds a very noticeable measure of smoothness and "stability" to both the draw and release of a well designed longbow or recurve. howard hill knew that, too.

as to whether 'boo limbs are slower or faster than any other natural core material, i think it's splitting hairs, and i don't own a stickbow that doesn't have some measure of bamboo limbs.  my current hunting mohawk longbow has cane for both the limb cores and veneers.  

to each their own and ymmv - as it should!     :saywhat:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 08:26:00 AM »
Personally I would not pay $100 extra for bamboo.For me there is no way it is worth $100 more for any type bow I have owned.In a recurve I don't even want bamboo if the cost was the same.

Smoothness ect is in the bow design more than the materials.As far as bamboo being light weight goes there is a very big difference between different lams.More so than many woods so if you get some heavy stuff in a bow it will not perform as well as a wood core.Action boo from a bowyers stand point is much more consistant than regular natural bamboo so hitting target weight is much easier.Just as action-wood and rock maple has alway been a popular choice for bowyers.None of my fastest bows have bamboo in them so I don't consider it any better than good wood. jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©