3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New wooden arrow point loading and internal footing jig!  (Read 2906 times)

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
New wooden arrow point loading and internal footing jig!
« on: May 13, 2009, 03:41:00 PM »
Hello Trad Gang,

We've got a new jig that will let you point load and internally foot your wooden shafting.  Here's a link to the sponsor's classifieds for more information.

Sponsor\\'s Classifieds - Internal Footing Jig  

Available in two sizes, 11/32" and 23/64", and priced at $24.99 each.

These are only available at Braveheart Archery and we don't have a ton of them, so get 'em while we've got 'em.  PM or e-mail if you'd like to purchase.

Thanks!  Tim @ Braveheart
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: New wooden arrow point loading and internal footing jig!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 05:27:00 PM »
Cool. PM sent.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 09:58:00 PM »
Here's a look at what this jig can do in a finished arrow.  This is a Wolverine 160 that weighed in at 145 grains after sharpening.  With only a 1 3/4" insert, point weight was pushed to 220 grains and FOC was 17%.  Obviously with a heavier point or longer insert much higher weights are easily possible...and it makes the arrow stronger!  Win - win!   :thumbsup:  

No gaudy outside extras and this will last you a lifetime unless you lose it.   :D

Offline Daddy Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 10:11:00 PM »
PM sent.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 04:45:00 AM »
TTT...
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 07:32:00 AM »
used to do this all the time with woodies - this new jig system makes it SO MUCH EASIER and FASTER.  gonna get me one, even though i don't use woodies much!  :D
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline martin guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 12:26:00 PM »
Fantastic!

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 01:24:00 PM »
Wow guys!  About all I've done last night and today is pack and ship jigs.  I think we hit a bullseye here...that's the good news.

The bad news is now they are gone...  :eek:    :eek:  

We'll get some more ASAP and be sure to post when they're here.

Thanks for all your support, we appreciate it!

Tim @ Braveheart

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 04:51:00 PM »
I was to slow on this. Dang it was one more day till payday. If you start a list of customers to notify when they come in please add my name.

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 05:45:00 PM »
Jack, with the response we've had I'm sure we'll have to make a list so everyone who wants one can have the opportunity to get one.

Please shoot me an e-mail or PM and that'll be all I need to put you on the list.  Look at the bright side, your almost at the top!  :jumper:  

Thanks all...

Offline martin guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 10:41:00 PM »
Just to let everyone know, these jigs are sized exactly at 11/32nds and 23/64ths, you may have to sand your point ends a little, especially if the arrow has absorbed some moisture.
I looked into making the hole oversize to accommodate swelling etc.. but then it gets sloppy and the drill may not center perfectly.
I just take some 100 grit sandpaper and wrap it around the point end and twist. It takes a few minutes but I think it is better than an off center hole.

Thanks guys!

Andy

Offline Ham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 12:05:00 PM »
I have made a jig to hold my shaft on my drillpress; however I havn't used a guide for the drill bit.  I have tried slow to fast drill speeds to no avail.  My bit keeps running out along the grain skewing the hole off center.  Using a brad point bit didn't help.  From the picture, this jig looks like it keeps the hole centered!

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 02:54:00 PM »
Ham, that's exactly what it does.  It aligns both your shaft and the drill bit so you can get near perfect alignment.

Anyone wanting to be notified when the next batch comes in just e-mail or PM me along with the size you're interested in, and I'll put you on the notification list.  These are available in 11/32" and 23/64".

Thanks!  Tim @ Braveheart

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 04:52:00 PM »
neatest thing since Velcro !
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2009, 01:51:00 PM »
Way Cool Idea!

I tried drilling by hand and hammering in a nail last year, but didn't work too good...8^)

This looks like the ticket.

Offline martin guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2009, 05:08:00 PM »
Almost done!

Andy

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2009, 06:09:00 PM »
11/32" = .34375" and the jig's hole digitally mic's at .347" and all my 11/32" shafts (poc, spruce, pine and ash) mic between .350 and .353 so they all needed a rubbing with 100 grit.  i don't think there's an 11/32" shaft out there that measures much less than .350 due to both manufacturing criteria and moisture content.  if ya finished the wood you can add at least a few thousandths more.

none of the above is a problem for me, and by taking the front end down i find that all points fit a bit better.  

i drill down 2-1/8", taper the shaft for a point, cut off a 2" length of nail with a dremel carbide wheel (the nail foot weighed 59 grains), epoxy in the nail.  one could use a larger diameter nail for more arrow weight, higher foc, and a friction fit; then wick in some thin cya to really strengthen the arrow's front end.  rather than waiting for the epoxy to cure and use hot melt, i epoxied in the point, adding a small fillet of epoxy to smooth out where the point collar meets the shaft.  

two thumbs up on the nail foot/foc jig - super quality and super easy to use.         :thumbsup:      :thumbsup:    

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2009, 06:50:00 PM »
Glad to see your putting yours to good use Rob!     :thumbsup:

We've decided to make subsequent jigs just a few thousands of an inch larger to accomodate more of the slight variances found in wood shafting.

Offline Daddy Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2009, 09:19:00 PM »
Use this Metal Weight Calculator to determine the weight of different rod materials at different lengths. Your answer will be calculated in pounds. Take that number and multiply by 7000 to get the weight in GRAINS:

http://www.bostoncenterless.com/weightcalc.htm  

You can go to a welding supply shop and get rods made of steel, brass, or tungsten to suit your needs in weight for your desired length. Steel will be the lightest, brass is a bit heavier, and tungten is heaviest. A 36" brass rod will do two dozen arrows at 1.5" footing lengths and is cheap. I went to my local welding shop who sells in bulk. The manager was an archer and gave me a handful of rods for free.

Best,
DB

Offline Brian P.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2009, 09:29:00 PM »
Been doing this myself for the past few years. Being a machinist, I made my own jig that is identical to this one (I used square stock instead of round).

Brass rod is available at Lowes and Home Depot if you dont have a weld supply nearby.

BP
"As a rule, nothing does an arrow so much good as to shoot it, and nothing so much harm as to have it lie inactive and crowded in the quiver"   Saxton Pope

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©