3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wyoming 09 elk and moose adventure  (Read 3936 times)

Offline GANGGREEN

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wyoming 09 elk and moose adventure
« Reply #120 on: September 28, 2009, 04:42:00 PM »
I'm really very excited but this and I typically couldn't care less if I never hear another "war story" again.  Way to go Jeff, I'll be paying attention tonight and/or tomorrow to hear about the moose.
Northwind Sage 60" 52#
Shakespeare Kaibab 58" 45#
Shakespeare X-26 55" 40#
Bear Grizzly 58" 50#

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #121 on: September 28, 2009, 08:18:00 PM »
Jeff, wife said you called but I can't find your number. Sorry I missed you, looked up the Wood River a couple times but couldn't find you anywhere.
Glad you had a good trip.   :thumbsup:

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #122 on: September 28, 2009, 08:42:00 PM »
:bigsmyl:

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #123 on: September 28, 2009, 08:45:00 PM »
Here we go.  First I need to thank those who were so helpful, starting with the moose hunt.  Nate was the bowhunter who shared his best spots in this unit, and who will recognize many areas in the photos.  Vance was nice enough to hook me up with Dexter, who provided a room whenever I needed it, a place to park my trailer, and his gear and equipment to butcher my moose.  John from New York also provided his maps and info, which were very helpful.  Finally the WY game and fish biologist Dean, himself a bowhunter, and a receptionist named Dez helped me get onto some private land.  Unfortunately Vance and I couldn't coordinate to meet in person this time, but hopefully the next time we can meet.

For the elk hunt, thanks especially to Barney - I'm sorry we didn't get to meet but your info was very helpful.  I promise to try harder to meet you the next time I'm near Cody.  And Trapp provided some very accurate descriptions of trails and areas, plus advice that made me drop some silly plans (like trying to haul in my camp several miles over a narrow horse trail with many river crossings...).  Finally, a sheep hunter named Don provided some company and tips on where he saw the bears and elk - congrats on your bighorn sheep!  Thanks also to anybody else who helped.

OK, here are some teaser photos to set the stage...

During the many months of preparation and anticipation, my idea moose hunt would go something like this:  I would be walking back to the truck after a long day of chasing bulls, and as I approached a stream crossing, my ears picked up a commotion upstream in the willows and then a faint grunt.  Reflexively, I cupped my hands and grunted back, and this is what I saw step out of the willows.....

He is the king of this drainage, surviving the hard winters and many grizzlies, so he doesn't appreciate the rutting call of another bull moose.  Notice the small tree stuck in his rack - he has just finished destroying that tree and is feeling pretty strong and mean.  He can't locate his rival so he heads downstream, looking to kick some butt...

For me this is the ideal situation to kill a nice bull, and he is a really nice bull moose:  Big thick rack, large body, many points, no cows and he is rutting.  The wind is drifting downstream and he hasn't seen me, so I ease 10 yards closer to the trail he is on and prepare for the shot - I like 'em close.

The bull steps out onto the trail and is only 25 yards away, then stops broadside as I make a small noise with my foot.  What a nice bull!

This is the part of my dream where I usually wake up, sweaty and excited.  However, this is the real thing and I raise my bow....

Fortunately for this bull, I have already punched my moose tag and he is safe; the only shots I could take were with my camera.  Unfortunately for me, the moose hunting was much tougher back in unit 4, so I was quite happy when a much smaller bull gave me an opportunity on day 7.  I will explain tomorrow.....
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #124 on: September 28, 2009, 08:54:00 PM »
Awesome already!  Thanks Jeff!

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #125 on: September 28, 2009, 10:21:00 PM »
Looking forward to it Jeff......you are a moose killing machine!

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #126 on: September 28, 2009, 10:54:00 PM »
Can't wait!!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #127 on: September 28, 2009, 11:48:00 PM »
Most excellent!! Love those Meeses!  :thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline excelpoint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #128 on: September 29, 2009, 04:18:00 AM »
Great read so far. Congrats on your moose.
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be ... time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and the fish that live there."
Fred Bear

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #129 on: September 29, 2009, 10:24:00 AM »
Moose Day 1:  After a long travel day yesterday, arriving in Pinedale around midnight and sleeping in my truck on BLM land, I was finally bowhunting moose!  Well, sort of.  I was on a bluff overlooking a river bottom with lots of willows and hopefully some moose.  My plan this morning was to watch and try to pattern any moose....

It didn't take long to see some moose, first this cow and calf feeding on a peninsula where the river made a big 180 degrees bend....

Within an hour I had spotted 2 sets of cows and calves plus a lone cow in the small portion of this large rivver bottom where I could hunt, plus a nice bull and his 5 cows about a mile downriver, safely on private land.  Things were looking great with 9 moose spotted, until Kurt pulled up in his truck.....
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #130 on: September 29, 2009, 10:43:00 AM »
Oops, correction already, there was one cow and calf, making the total 9 moose for this morning.  Still a lot of moose.  Kurt is a local guy with the same bull moose tag I had (10 bull and 5 cow tags offered in this unit), and he had been scouting this particular spot for months.  We shared some info and he seemed like a fine fellow - he had his bow in the truck, but with 2 full months to fill his tag (sept. 1 to 20 with bow and then until oct. 31 with the rifle or bow), Kurt was in no hurry.  I let him know my plans and we parted company, with me heading to Dexter's place to organize my gear.  Changing from road tires to good tires paid off later, as I found some rough roads in some areas....

I spent the rest of the day checking out several areas on the eastern part of my unit, encountering numerous antelope hunters on the BLM land and elk bowhunters as I got close to the national forest border, which was also the limit of my moose unit.  The Big Sandy river was also part my eastern limit.  I'm a bit of history buff regarding the old mountain men, so I enjoyed the historical significance of the area I was hunting....

The day ended with a final moose sighting, a moose over a mile away at the edge of the national forest.  Not a bad day, seeing 10 moose, but unfortunately I didn't see any fresh sign on the 3 public areas I checked in the afternoon.

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #131 on: September 29, 2009, 11:06:00 AM »
Moose Day 2:  I was back at the same bluff at daylight, although I would only watch for a short while so that I could attend church in town.  It was nearly a repeat of day 1, with 8 moose seen (3 sets of cows and calves and 2 single cows) but no bulls.  Kurt arrived shortly after dawn and I decided that this place was getting crowded as I headed to church.  After learning that I was moose hunting, the pastor reported seeing a small bull in town several blocks from the church and another member offered to help pack out any moose that I killed.  Then I got some lunch and headed north to explore that part of the unit.  This public area is within sight of town, but there were only cattle and old moose sign there to be found there....

The next several areas were on BLM land and consisted of small willow patches in the open sage....

These areas had lots of these animals at the moment...

but few if any moose.  This spot had only old sign and I wondered if a moose could be killed here....

but there was my answer inside the willows....

I headed further north to a pocket of public land which was hard to access, but which looked promising.  I especially liked the fact that I saw no other hunters there....

The map shows a series of pothole ponds along several drainages, and there was some fresher sign at this pond....

I checked out several such ponds by dusk, but only saw antelope, a few mulie does, and a little whitetail buck.  I decided to stay overnight and see if any moose were present in the morning.  The coyotes announced their displeasure with my decision to stay.

Online Dennis Allman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #132 on: September 29, 2009, 12:15:00 PM »
Jeff, glad you made it home safe and sucessful. I am off this week, going out in an hour or so, we will talk soon. Looking forward to "the rest of the story."

Dennis

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #133 on: September 29, 2009, 12:16:00 PM »
Rough roads huh Jeff?  As rough as you found getting to your moose here?????  If so, I feel sorry for your truck!!!!!

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #134 on: September 29, 2009, 12:28:00 PM »
Up before dawn, I walked to a high point where I could see several ponds and hopefully some moose.  This sure is beautiful country...

Nothing showed after 2 hours so I did some hiking.  Again the moose sign was not very fresh..

By noon I had covered the entire area and was ready to head back to the river bottow where I had seen some moose..

After a short practice session...

I headed out.  I did visit with some elk bowhunters nearby and they shared some useful info.  They had seen several bull moose but within the NF land, which were off limits to me.  They mentioned a public area along the Green River (western boundary of my unit) where they had seen moose while fishing, with directions to their "hot spot".  Most importantly, they warned me to watch out starting tomorrow for rifle hunters, as the anterless deer season opens in this area.  I thanked them and spent almost 2 hours driving through dry BLM land to find their "hot spot"...

Well, this particular tip didn't pan out, but eventually one such tip would be very helpful.

After 3 days of mostly scouting the unit (essentially wasting hunting time because I failed to make the earlier scouting trip happen), it was clear that I needed to spend most of my time on the river bottom where I had seen so many moose the first 2 days.  The problem there was that once down in the willows, it was very hard to see much and the moose would have the advantage.  I needed an advantage.....

Remembering that I had seen several moose crossing the peninsula, I grabbed a treestand and rapid-rails before heading down to the river.  Finding a relatively straight cottonwood with game trails on both sides, I was done and back up to the bluff about an hour before dark.  As soon as the binos were put to use, I saw the flash of antlers only 200 yards upstream of the stand - it was a nice bull rubbing a tree and he had about 8 points per side and about a 36 inch spread.  Unfortunately he walked upstream and I never saw him again, but at least there was a legal bull on public land.  Tomorrow I would finally hunt moose!

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #135 on: September 29, 2009, 12:31:00 PM »
Hey Dennis, do you recognize that old loc-on stand???  Thanks, it worked very well.  Daniel and I are hunting the Johns river next weekend, maybe we'll see you up there?

David, I sure did find some roads as rough as in NH, and my truck took a beating.  Once I thought I would turn it over, as it balanced on only 2 wheels!

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #136 on: September 29, 2009, 12:58:00 PM »
Just a quick detail I forgot to mention for day 3, which was a telling moment.  When I walked up to the bluff overlooking the riverbottom, I was shocked to see a cow moose standing and staring intently upstream.  I followed her gaze and saw a man in a red vest and what appeared as a bow in his hand, approaching the moose.  A quick look with my binos revealed that instead of a bowhunter, it was a fisherman and he wasn't aware of the moose.  I thought I might witness a stomping if she had a calf nearby, but instead she circled the clump of willows as he passed and he was none the wiser.  I looked upstream and there was another cow with a calf, that he must have walked past, and I think he walked past the bull moose I saw too.  So, these moose were used to humans after all.  I had been intentionall keeping out of the river bottom, worried about leaving too much scent.  With a cloudy, rainy day forecast for day 4, I decided to spend the entire day on stand.

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #137 on: September 29, 2009, 01:35:00 PM »
And then???? You have my full attention!
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #138 on: September 29, 2009, 03:38:00 PM »
Tap, tap, tap! That's my fingers tapping while waiting. Hopefully, yours are tapping on the keyboard!

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #139 on: September 30, 2009, 10:15:00 AM »
Moose Day 4:

After seeing those moose so close to the peninsula yesterday afternoon, it was easy to wake early and get into the stand well before daylight.  I was prepared to stay all day, even bringing some reading material....

The view was pretty good from the stand, but there could have been moose 50 yards away in the willows and I wouldn't see them....

However, I still had not seen a moose 11 hours later, until this young cow appeared across the river, followed by mother moose....

Moose Day 5:

Back to the treestand before daylight - obviously I would just have to wait 'em out at this location.  However, by noon I had only seen 3 whitetails and couldn't take the lack of action, so I went back up to the bluff for my truck and some lunch.  I was hoping to spot a bedded bull and make a stalk, as my friend John had done at this location last year to kill his bull with his bow, but I saw no moose.  Time to try something else.  The Game and Fish biologist Dean had provided a list of landowners that might allow moose hunters, and Dexter had tried contacting them with no luck.  I figured that he would get a better reception than me when asking to hunt, but that didn't work out.  I used my cell phone to call each number but got no answers, so I went back to the maps.  I saw a likely looking area and wasn't sure if I could hunt there, so I headed to the Game and Fish office to ask.  Lucky for me, Dean wasn't there but the receptionist provided names and numbers of 2 other landowners, not on the list, who might allow moose hunting.  You can bet that my fingers were dialing thaose numbers as soon as I left the office - the first place only allowed 1 moose hunter per year and they already had a moose hunter.  The rancher at the second place, a 1500 acre ranch bordering the same river system I had been hunting that morning but further downstream, was hesitant because of previous problems created by hunters and the neighbors, but told me to come over tomorrow morning to meet and discuss moose hunting.  Finally possible access to private land!

I spent the rest of the day checking out the another public area north of town, but there was no fresh moose sign there.

By the way, here is moose camp when I'm staying at Dexter's B+B - pretty rough, eh?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©