3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wyoming 09 elk and moose adventure  (Read 3932 times)

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wyoming 09 elk and moose adventure
« Reply #160 on: October 01, 2009, 09:09:00 AM »
Thanks all - I used a Panasonic FZ8 digital camera with 10x zoom, which allowed me to zoom in well but I can't figure out how to save and show the zoomed-in photos when posting.

Here are some teaser photos from the elk hunt.  I will admit that the biggest mistake I made was trying to combine the moose and elk hunts - originally I thought I had 3 weeks total so about 10 days for each hunt seemed OK.  But when the duration changed to 2 weeks, I wished that I had that much time for either animal.  Oh well, live and learn.  Arriving in elk country at midnight on Saturday, I had just 5 and 1/2 days to find and kill a bull elk.  Just a few photos:

The area was rugged and beautiful - unlike the moose hunt, I would be physically challenged here and I would end up sharing the area with only 2 other people, and they were hunting sheep...

I got to know this satellite bull well, getting close 4 of the 5 days I hunted him...

This was the herd bull, busy here getting ready to breed this cow.  He was distinctive due to a broken right beam...

I really liked this mountain country, and some snow helped with tracking, especially the very fresh grizzly tracks I saw while walking in before daylight the first morning.  Taking my cue from sheep hunter Don who had seen numerous grizzlies in this area, I thereafter waited until dawn before heading in and made sure I was back at the truck before dark each day.  My bear spray and pea-shooter didn't give me much comfort in the dark....

Sorry for teasing, but I need to get on my big green tractor!
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #161 on: October 01, 2009, 11:51:00 AM »
Very cool story Jeff, congrats on the moose!!!
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline Jim McInteer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #162 on: October 01, 2009, 12:12:00 PM »
Jeff,
Not sure you will get this reply. I am on trad gang now but still quite ignorant of its use. As I said, I searched for your link but was only able to find it after you nfyd me via email. That was a fantastic story and pictures!!!! Your the man! Hope to see you again someday.    Jim

Offline 2Knives

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #163 on: October 01, 2009, 12:29:00 PM »
Congrats! Great story...keep it going.
Since I'm missing hunting season again...its awesome to read about everybodys hunt!
USAF AMMO Retired

Shoot True!!!
Don't Squat with your Spurs on!

Offline Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #164 on: October 01, 2009, 01:20:00 PM »
Congrats. That last pic is awesome!
Twin Oaks Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of Tennessee

"just remember, you can't put the wood back on"

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #165 on: October 01, 2009, 06:06:00 PM »
Come on Jeff, you've been sitting on that tractor for 9 hours now.  Isn't your butt getting sore?
Time for a story break....
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Coonbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #166 on: October 01, 2009, 06:49:00 PM »
Great story, keep it coming!
GLENN

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #167 on: October 01, 2009, 06:55:00 PM »
Way to go Jeff!! Great moose! Now as mentioned before...on with the elk story!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #168 on: October 01, 2009, 07:24:00 PM »
Ok Jeff, you are my hero!

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #169 on: October 01, 2009, 09:10:00 PM »
Great story Jeff.Congratulation on the Moose.Your hunts keep me dreaming.RC

Offline pine nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #170 on: October 01, 2009, 09:57:00 PM »
Ok Jeff I've caught up reading so far and I'm ready for more.   Glad you scored on the moose!  I wqas in Colorado last Friday and at 6:30 AM I walked out of our popup camper and set the coffee pot down to light the stove.  I heard a russelling noise and turned to see a bull moose come trotting through the aspen trees about thirty-five feet behind me!  What a blast!  I thought about you and wondered how your hunt was going.  I got my wife up and we went looking for him to get a picture.

Game warden came by as the news spread fast  and told me there were about 300 moose turned out in southwest Colorado.  He said they were having a rough time with parasites because it was too warm.  I think, though he didn't say, that he was thinking it might be dangerous as it came so close to our camp! Anyway congrats on the moose and can't wait for the rest of the story.

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #171 on: October 02, 2009, 10:14:00 AM »
Congratulations Jeff!  Thanks for sharing the story and the pics.  Looking forward to reading more about your elk hunt!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #172 on: October 04, 2009, 09:40:00 PM »
Jeff....you're killing me here.  :readit:     :bigsmyl:

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #173 on: October 05, 2009, 10:36:00 AM »
Sorry guys, I'll finish this up today, since I got the hay in the barn and took my family camping in the Smoky Mountains over the weekend, where we managed to see some of these....

Thanks to efforts of the RMEF and others, bulls like this are only 3 hours from my house....

Elk Day 1:

My strategy was to drive over as much of my elk units today as possible, find the best area (I had one particular spot in mind in the backcountry but hoped to find some easier elk, closer to the road), and spend the remaining days there.  This area came highly recommended and I spend several hours driving around and talking to some hunters who had spent the weekend there, but assuming they were being honest, the reports were not good....

One husband and wife team were coming back to their camp on their horses and reported one bugling bull in 3 days, but they were nice enough to offer some breakfast and advice on the horse trails into the backcountry.  By mid afternoon I was at the area I had expected to hunt, by loading my camp on the game cart and going in about 4-5 miles to where several drainages went up from the river.....

Trapp had warned that my plan was not very good, and I soon confirmed that the narrow horse trail and numerous river crossings made my plan would force me to use my backpack if I wanted to hunt here.  There were several horse trailers at the trailhead and clearly this area was best hunted with horses ort mules.  I talked with some more hunters that were coming out, and again assuming they were honest, they said the elk were back in 6-7 miles, close to the wilderness boundary, but that they were bugling like crazy.  I decided to move on.  A thunderstorm was upon me and snow was predicted in higher elevations.  The aspens were getting some color...

I arrived at another trailhead about an hour before dark, and even with the rain and wind, I heard a bugle as soon as I got out of my truck.  A sheep hunter was loading his horse onto the trailer and he told me that there were more deer and sheep than elk at this high location, but that he had seen 2 nice bulls up a certain trail, which was the direction the bugles were coming from.  Finally, some elk - this is where I would hunt.  However, he warned me that a certain trail had a dead cow on it, along with a big grizzly!
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #174 on: October 05, 2009, 11:14:00 AM »
I walked up that trail and watched the 2 nice bulls and some cows until dark; the rain turned to snow before I was back to the truck and I had a hard time sleeping that night, partly due the excitement of knowing where I could find some elk in the morning and partly because of dreams of killer grizzlies ripping the fiberglass camper off my truck and munching on a stinky bowhunter.  Yes, I was afraid of the big bears - I had specifically picked this area to experience some wild country, and many people who live and hunt in grizzly country advised "don't worry about the bears", but that is easier said than done for a flatlander eastener.  

Elk Day 2:

I was up 2 hours before daylight and ready for breakfast.  I headed out an hour before daylight, going up the same trail where I had watched the elk until dark.  That is where I saw the huge bear tracks in the snow, coming down the trail, obviously made several hours prior!  However, the constant bugling lured me on and at dawn, I was within a hundred yards of the herd with the wind coming down the canyon.  Perfect!

Sorry for the repeat photo, but I followed the herd for several hours until the cows bedded in a small clump of pines and the herd bull, with the broken right beam, followed this cow around and passed close by but too far for a shot...

The satellite bull went down into the timber and began raking trees and bugling his frustration...

Eventually the herd bull "finished up" with that cow and then bedded in the middle of his cows and fell asleep, but he was very safe from me there, so I moved into the timber looking for the other bull.

I am not a good caller and was hoping to ambush the satellite bull, but snapped a branch and heard the bull run start running away from me.  The area was torn up with rubs, trails and droppings.  I quickly let out 3 cow calls but before I could get hidden and remove my pack, I saw his antlers headed my way.  He came straight on, until he was 15 yards away and seemingly looming over me - I was at half draw and hoping he would pass to the side, but after scanning the area, he locked onto me and froze.  He couldn't smell me but realized that something was wrong and swapped ends quickly and headed out - I was tempted to try a shot as he turned but declined.  The herd then moved out and my morning hunt was over.  I love elk hunting!

I spent the afternoon checking out another area, and had the encounter with the big bull moose, described earlier.  A new sheep hunter, Don, arrived that afternoon for the week, and since he had scounted and hunted this area a good bit earlier, knew where the elk had been located.  He suggested another drainage to try if I didn't kill either of the bulls I had seen today.

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #175 on: October 05, 2009, 11:52:00 AM »
Elk Day 3:

Waiting until daylight before I headed out the main horse trail, I soon heard some bugles and found the herd headed to a small but nasty side canyon...

The same herd bull was with the cows, and he bugled much, even though I kept my calls in my pocket...

I just watched, as they were in the open and had the wind in their favor, and I would only spook them if I tried to follow.  However, another bugle betrayed the satellite bull, and I did have a good chance to ambush him because he was following the herd on a trail by a noisy creek with the wind at his back.  If I could get ahead of him and next to the creek, I would have a close shot...

Unfortunately, he beat me to the spot I wanted to use, and spooked.  Here is another photo of him yesterday, before the snow melted.  He is a fine bull elk!

The bulls were active until mid morning and the last several hours before dark.  I headed back to the truck, taking the scenic route so that I could check out a spot where Don had seen some elk.  The wind was good and I saw lots of fresh elk sign as I walked along the edge of the timber - maybe I would return later today.  I accidently dislodged a big rock, and as it rolled and made noise, I decided to bugle to cover this noise and see if any bulls were nearby.  Being a long-time turkey hunter, I should have known to get set up and ready to shoot before calling, but I had acted quickly to cover the noise from the rolling rock.

My shrill bugle wasn't even complete when a bull roared back and immediately I saw a big set of bull antlers coming from about 50 yards inside the timber.  Oh no!  I dropped down next to a small pine, removed my pack, and nocked an arrow with trembling fingers, all the while watching the bull rapidly approach.  I was still trying to figure out how to draw my recurve unseen when, in order to pass through some small pines to get out into the open with me, he closed his eyes and turned his rack sideways to get through and I yanked the bow back to full draw!  He popped out at 12 yards and looked right at me - I expected him to bolt away but he began turning, from straight on to quartering and finally broadside, but with every step he was staring at me.  I was aware of that fact, but was concentrating the crease behind the shoulder and when the green light went off in my head, released.  Unfortunately he dropped and bolted in reaction, then took off quickly in a tight circle back into the timber and now heading back the way he came from.  I bugled again and he stopped - now my heart sank as I saw the arrow was buried nearly to the fletching but way too far back and high!  Oh no, again - a bad shot.  He looked around for a minute, then walked away and I saw that it was 11:15 am.  I was really feeling sick when I took up the trail at 3:00 pm, and found about 10 drops of blood before losing the trail at 100 yards, where he had made a sharp turn downhill.  A golden opportunity, and I had blown it.  I should have realized that he could react, even at 12 yards, unlike the moose that was oblivious to my presence.  I searched until daylight without any sign of the bull.  

Elk Day 4:

The ridge was about 1/2 mile long and I searched every trail all day, even out in the open areas but found no sign of him.  Ironically, after lunch the same elk herd came through and I had the same "stubby" herd bull broadside at 22 yards, but couldn't shoot.  First of all, I still hoped to find "my" bull, and secondly, I was so disgusted with myself that I didn't think I could make the shot.  I was feeling about as low as possible, but after talking with Don back at the truck about an hour before dark, I decided to check out the drainage that he had recommended.  I saw this small herd there but they were several miles back in......

It was another long night in the truck.....

Elk Day 5:

Walking in the new trail at daylight, I realized that this bear poop wasn't there last night....

I found the elk herd and followed them around all morning and into the early afternoon, but just couldn't get a shot at the herd bull.  Too many cows and swirling wind kept him safe.  I walked many miles that day, and that evening after supper, decided to try one last time for the "stubby" the herd bull in the morning.

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #176 on: October 05, 2009, 12:12:00 PM »
Elk Day 6 - final day:

Even though I was the only one bothering the main elk herd, the effect of my pressure was obvious.  The 2 bulls had bugled over 100 times that first morning, but now I heard ony 3 or 4 soft bugles after daylight, but they were enough for me to get a location and direction of travel for this herd.  After several hours of playing cat and mouse, with no calling from me (I had lost my favorite diaphram call yesterday and now could barely bugle), I was in front of the herd with the wind in my favor, so I let out a wimpy bugle followed by several cow calls.  The herd bull answered immediately and then the real cows mewed back.  I was hiding behind a samll pine out in the open, where the herd had bedded the first day, and was very excited to see some cows and calves headed my way.  Soon they were on the other side of the pine and I could hear them walking in the grass and softly calling, then they began filing past on the right and I saw stubby's antlers coming my way.  I would get a 10 yard shot if this all worked out, but of course the wind swirled and the cows all scattered and the bull retreated back to the timber.  After a 15 minute wait, I saw him tip-toeing by just inside the woods and tried to cut him off, but he busted out and headed for that nasty side canyon with the deadfalls.  No wonder the elk like this spot, it is very secure....

It was 9:30 am and I had to be driving by noon, so I dropped down the mountain and entered the small nasty canyon from the downwind side.  Soon I heard a few cow chirps and then saw this....

Elk!  Maybe I would have one last chance.  I eased forward and an hour later was standing within 20 yards of several cows and calves but couldn't find the bull.  Then a cow caught me and I was busted - she barked the alarm and elk were going everywhere!  I bugled to sound like a satellite bull trying to steal some cows, and the bull answered, but he was more of a lover than fighter and took his herd across a nasty rock slide and out of my life.  

My elk hunt was over - very fun and exciting but disappointing due to my poor shot selection and wasting of a golden opportunity.  I drove to Pinedale, loaded up my equipment and started for home.  Only 34 hours later, I pulled into my driveway.

I hope that you enjoyed my stories and photos.
Good hunting to you.

Offline Huntrdfk@Work

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #177 on: October 05, 2009, 12:39:00 PM »
What a great hunt Jeff, it's easy for me to feel like I am right there with you.  It's unfortunate that the elk you shot was lost, but as I'm sure you know, it happens.

Thanks again for taking us along.......

David

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #178 on: October 05, 2009, 01:49:00 PM »
Great story Jeff. I know the extra workinvolved with capturing and writing these types of hunts. Thank you!! Sorry to hear about the bull, a lot of guys wouldn't believe how fast an animal of that size can react, but things like this happen. It doesn't help, but I've been there, and feel your pain.
Thanks again for a great story, and congrats, on both hunts   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #179 on: October 05, 2009, 04:35:00 PM »
Great story Jeff, thanks for sharing it with us!!! That was one heckuva hunt. You will remember it long after the last of the moose meat has been consumed.
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©