3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wyoming 09 elk and moose adventure  (Read 3939 times)

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wyoming 09 elk and moose adventure
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2009, 11:46:00 AM »
http://wyominghorses.net/
Jeff, Here is a website. From the looks of it, I think Lonnie must have passed on, but the business is still going. Hope this helps.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2009, 08:53:00 PM »
Jeff, enjoying the ride my friend. Sorry I won't be with you! Jen, Jeff, and I are really getting setup for a great alligator hunt.

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2009, 09:19:00 PM »
Jeff, I'll PM my phone # to you and help as best as I can...(since I won't be elk hunting     :readit:  , I'll try my best to help you get him out.

Don't get the griz in your head cause they'll stick there. Enjoy your hunt, just be careful and aware.

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2009, 09:38:00 PM »
Terry, I mailed your alligator arrows and floats yesterday; I hope to see some photos and stories here on Tradgang after your adventure.

Sorry about the back draw luck Barney, but I'm looking forward to meeting you soon.  Hopefully your tag will find its way onto a big buck.
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2009, 09:44:00 PM »
Sent you a PM

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2009, 12:15:00 PM »
Jeff, got the arrows and floats! I hope to put them to good use. We went out last night and shot a lot and hit a few!

Keep the moose updates coming!

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2009, 05:14:00 PM »
I'm headed out for the hunt next friday (9/11 hmmm...) and thought I'd give an update.  I've been exercising and shooting all summer, but was a little slow in organizing my gear.  Normally I'm hunting one animal and can fit my gear into my truck, like this....

However, since I'm hunting 2 animals in very different terrain, and my son and I were also taking out his gear for the PBS Youth Leadership Hunt in Utah, I realized that I needed  another way to include the extra gear.  I checked into an Uhaul trailer, which I see other hunters using on their western trips, but that option was too expensive.  Looking around the farm, I remembered my old utility trailer....

Using materials I had available and not worrying too much about the looks, Daniel and I soon had an enclosed trailer for the gear....

Feeling pretty confident about this hunt, I decided to take along a freezer too.  Hope such confidence doesn't bring me bad luck...

Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2009, 05:18:00 PM »
All the best!

:archer:
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2009, 05:24:00 PM »
Daniel's hunt with the PBS group in Utah started on August 15 and we were supposed to be in camp the day prior.  Mapquest said 33 hours from home to the Utah camp, and we wanted to spend several days in Wyoming scouting for moose and elk.  If we left early on Monday morning and drove hard, we would pull into Pinedale, WY late Tuesday night, leaving Wednesday, Thursday and Friday morning to scout.  That was a great plan......until my boss asked me to work that Monday, then I had to send off my wife and girls on their own little vacation to grandma's, then there was baseball practice for Daniel, fence in the pastures that needed fixed, a yard to mow, and all the packing to do.  So we finally pulled out of the driveway at 7:00 am on Wednesday, August 12.  32 hours of hard driving later, we dragged into Pinedale late on Thursday night, with numb butts and minds.  So much for the great scouting trip I had planned.........

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2009, 10:29:00 AM »
With only half a day available on Friday before we headed to Utah, there was no time to get to scout my elk unit.  However, I could make a little progress on the moose.  We were staying with a new friend, courtesy of Iron Bull (Vance) who introduced us several months ago.  This local guy was fun to meet and get to know, starting with a great breakfast of apple pancakes in the log cabin he built with his own hands.  He knows the area and has both horses and mules; we helped him get some hay into his barn loft and the other friends who were helping reported moose sightings from that same morning but on private land.  I am looking forward to getting to know him and his wife during my moose hunt.  He offered to keep my trailer of hunting gear and a bed to sleep in during my moose hunt, and possibly some help butchering if I get lucky.  We went to the Game and Fish office to talk with the local game biologist, but he confirmed that this unit will be tough to hunt without access to private land.  There is no national forest land, but lots of BLM land.  On the way out of town, Daniel and I checked one of the spots he recommended....

Great land if you are hunting these...

Obviously any moose will be concentrated at the water sources, so the key will be getting access to the water, willows and moose.  Some place like this....

We left Pinedale a little sobered with the reality that my moose hunt will be toughter than expected.  Based on what the biologist told me, I am not going to be very picky here, but at least I'll be bowhunting moose.  Young bulls taste good and I will hunt hard.

Hopefully I can provide updates during my hunt - I have 14 full days to hunt before the long drive home.  I am ready to hunt!

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: September 04, 2009, 10:40:00 AM »
Great thread so far.  Be safe and looking forward to the rest of the story.

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: September 04, 2009, 10:46:00 AM »
Jeff...Where are you now??

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: September 04, 2009, 11:38:00 AM »
Jeff, great post, looking forward to some moose and elk pic's.
   :thumbsup:

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2009, 01:02:00 AM »
Paying attention for a few days....

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2009, 01:02:00 PM »
I don't know how I missed this Jeff, good luck to you and Daniel and I will be following from here on in........

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline pine nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: September 05, 2009, 07:00:00 PM »
Hey jeff, the best of luck to you on these hunts.  Will enjoy this to the end!

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: September 06, 2009, 02:52:00 PM »
Been looking forward to this one.  Be safe and make the most of it.

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: September 06, 2009, 08:02:00 PM »
excited for you

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: September 07, 2009, 10:46:00 PM »
Jeff, I am really enjoying this. Thanks for "taking us along"! Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: September 08, 2009, 12:25:00 PM »
Thanks everybody, hopefully I can provide some good photos and stories after the hunt.  Not sure how many, if any, updates I can provide during the hunt.

David, do you remember this?

Your gift on my last moose hunt.  For those who don't know David, he is another Tradganger who is very helpful on other's hunts.  He helped me kill my first moose, in his home state of New Hampshire.  I will get to meet in person several more Tradgangers on this hunt in Wyoming, including Vance and Barney.  They have been so helpful already.

Just a few more days of work and I'm headed out.  Yesterday was the archery opener in western NC, so my son and I took our bows for a walk up this mountain....

I'll be hiking much steeper mountains chasing elk, but I feel that I'm in pretty good shape.  We didn't see any deer but retrieved a trail camera - only a photo of a bobcat and a bear on it.

Got the rest of my gear ready, shooting my bow, and finishing the "honey-do" list.  Here is another thing I always keep in my pack, for those quiet times while enjoying God's creation......

Can't believe it is finally time.  I haven't been this excited in some time.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©