3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Traditional verse untraditional dilemma  (Read 1108 times)

Offline dinorocks

• Trad Bowhunter
Traditional verse untraditional dilemma
« on: March 23, 2007, 12:07:00 PM »
I am having a dilemma about what I should do (if anything) about encouraging my brothers and two of my friends to shoot a Traditionally.  

The issue at hand revolves around two of my brothers (brother number 1 presently shoots a compound bow and brother number 2 does not have a bow yet…planning to “force-feed” him a Traditional bow for his wedding gift) and two of my friends, both with no archery experience… I successfully convinced friend number one to shoot a Traditionally but friend number 2 likes the latest and greatest techno gear.  When I try to tell my brother to put his compound bow away and shoot a real bow he replies “why should I, I can hit the bulls eye every time with my compound.”  When we shoot, I try to get him to shoot from different distances in hopes that his sights will be off and he will understand how much better it is to shoot instinctively (which I guess you can do with both a compound and a Traditional bow…).  As described above, friend number 2 has no archery experience…I do not want to scare him away from the sport!

The questions I pose is should I go with the flow and encourage both my brother and friend number two to shoot whether it is with a high tech compound or a real bow?  Can anyone give me some ammo (possibly a different twist, etc)  I can use in an attempt to convert them?

Thanks for any feedback!

Dino
"Speedy arrow, sharp and narrow."  GD

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Traditional verse untraditional dilemma
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 12:31:00 PM »
I would just shoot with them using your trad gear, and eventually they will see how cool it is. If your one friend is willing to try trad. Take him out stumping or to a local shoot so he can see how much fun you can have. I would also introduce them to this site. The atmosphere around here has a way of sucking you in.    :goldtooth:
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline bm22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 12:58:00 PM »
if you want to get someone shooting a compound hooked on trad is get some judos and walk threw the woods with them and stump shoot at grass, leaves anything and everything. that is one of the main reasons i went back to trad, i missed just walking and stump shooting, now you can do that with a compound just not nearly as fun.
as for shooting a "trad" bow or a "real" bow there is no such thing. you show me what is traditional and i will give you something more traditional. get them to shoot what they are most comfortable with. and when compounds loose the challenge they will switch over to something harder recurve/longbow.

Online Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 02:29:00 PM »
I think part of the turn off for "trad" hunting is that most "trad" guys think they are better than other bowhunters (compound shooters).  Have them try both and choose what they are most comfortable with or have the most fun with.  I don't find myself to be better because I shoot a longbow, its just more fun to me.  For my spring bear hunt I'm taking a compound, simply because I'm more confident with it.  Any bow beats no bow.  Good luck.
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Offline AnointedArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 02:38:00 PM »
I got into trad gear just the way Jerry Jeffer said.  A friend of mine who always shot trad gear would just say hey Jeff you want to shoot my bow once.  Well one day I said sure, then I was wrecked from that day on.  Stump shooting is an excellent way to do it because we all know it's extremely hard to do that with a compound.
John 8:36
So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

Offline FOX SQUIRREL NUTS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 02:41:00 PM »
Peoples journey through archery is personal.  let them decide.  Just be there if they need a helping hand when they want to experience new things.

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 02:42:00 PM »
Let them shoot what they want, just as long as they are having fun. If they want to hunt, make sure they are shooting well, reguardless of what they shoot.
I have been shooting a compound for years, i love it. I don't think I'll ever give it up. I can easily draw and shoot heavy weights with huge amounts of energy and speed, with great accuracy. I like shooting 5" groups at 60yds. It's fun.
It has gotten to the point that I want more from hunting. I haven't seen much of a challenge in a few years, don't get me wrong, I still love it....i just want to enhance it with trad gear. After shooting a bunch of deer with the compound last season, I finally took out the recurve to add to the challenge. I was shooting well with it and hoped I'd get a deer to come inside of 20yds. i did the 3rd morning out and shot a great buck. That got me hooked. I have been shooting my Longbow now and am very good with it, i can't wait to take an animal with it. sure I will still hunt with wheels, but why not enjoy the best of both worlds.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 03:00:00 PM »
Good advice above. Force feeding will only close them down and if one is happy with their compound, there is no sin in that. Traditional isn't for everyone, just the smart ones (put that in for Ulysseys lol)
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 03:49:00 PM »
I don't do "conversions" anymore.  If someone asks questions, I will answer and encourage them to give it a try.

I've found that beating people over the head with my preferences is a losing battle.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 04:22:00 PM »
I only care about how they are to be with-not what they shoot. Trads and compounders mix just fine from my point of view. I wouldn't want the responsibility
of as Jeff says 'converting' someone- it should be a personal choice; let them do what they want.

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2007, 04:33:00 PM »
They will only do it if they want.  I started with wheels, love it, but am now trying this.  Something just clicked in me.  Its the same reason I put down a shotgun and carry either a flintlock or a sidelock when I am out with a gun.  You can't force them, only expose them.  It is either in them or not.  Don't belittle them for their choices, but join them in their fun.  Maybe something will click.
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2007, 05:13:00 PM »
Lots of good stuff there guys. That's what this site is about. Just be a friend to them, that'll win em more than anything.   :campfire:
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Eric in FLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2007, 08:31:00 PM »
Many of us here had a compound stage somewhere in our lives. A typical progression is gun, compound then trad bow as the hunter progresses through the stages of a sportsman.

Be a good friend first, then an ambassador for our sport. Loan a friend a trad bow and invite him to a shoot with you. Let them decide when is right for them to change.

Years from now which will be more important, that they were on the hunt with you or what they shot ?

Offline rxhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2007, 09:14:00 PM »
My brother and I go through this also. He actually enjoys shooting trad with me, but when it comes to hunting, he shoots his compound. I encourage him to shoot his compound when hunting, because he does not have (or will not commit) the time it takes to shoot traditionally. I guess the point I am trying to make is that if they are not willing to invest a serious amount of time to become proficient with it, then maybe the compound is a better choice for them. We owe it to the animals we hunt to at least be the best we can. I hope this made some sense.  Besides, just because they have one type of bow and you have another, doesnt mean that you cant hunt together. Have fun either way they choose.

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2007, 10:31:00 PM »
Let them shoot what they want. After a while they may get bored as most of had and or no self  satisfaction shooting a compound and will see how content and efficient you are in shooting trad equip.

If you shoot trad  they will come......
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2007, 09:03:00 AM »
My best friend shoots a compound with all the gadgets, and he will never change. He thinks I`m nuts for using anything but the latest technology.

He loves to bowhunt, and he does practice alot, but it is only because it is what he HAS to do.
He does not shoot his bow just because its fun.
This bothers me, because he IS missing out.

If he did get a traditional bow, and had to pass a shot at an animal that he wanted, because it was a bit too far away, I`m sure it would just spend the rest of its life collecting dust.

To each his/her own. All you can do is let it be known how much fun it is to watch an arrow go where YOU send it, and wait for them to notice.

Offline Weekend Warrior

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2007, 09:30:00 AM »
I have a friend that was a compound nut!
  A shoot was coming that weekend. I talked him into going,so I loaned him a bow and arrows..

We went and the rest is history..I have a new trad shooting friend now.   :clapper:  

Let them shoot..They'll be hooked in no time..

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2007, 08:39:00 PM »
Shoot with them! They will come around sooner or later. When I go off on hunts I take a back up bow for two reasons. In case my "go to" bow has an issue and for the "cool" factor. This usually never fails. Before the week is over somebody in camp will start asking about my recurve. I always shoot my bow at lunch; someone will watch me shoot and they can see how deadly a traditional bow can be and how much fun it is. I always get a sly smirk on my face when they ask if they can shoot my bow. I say, sure you can and go get my back up and start intro to trad lesson #1... I get a warm feeling getting someone started on this path.  

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2007, 08:52:00 PM »
I just like to tell them how much fun trad is and why i quit compounds, they will fill in the rest of the blanks themselves. By the way Dino i grew up in Lancaster NY my folks and sister still live there.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2007, 09:07:00 PM »
Let them shoot what they like.Lead by a good example and they might want to try it.If you start outshooting them a lot they will want to give it a try.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©