3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: can't get D97 as quiet as dacron  (Read 719 times)

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
can't get D97 as quiet as dacron
« on: May 14, 2009, 10:53:00 PM »
had a bit of a play with a 10 strand D97 padded loop flemish string on my bob lee recurve and i can't get it as quiet as my 14 strand endless dacron string.

tried different brace heights and different postions for the catwhiskers.

my wife was beside me and we both agreed that dacron was quieter.

dacron for the moment.....i like a quiet bow.

am i handicapping myself so badly that it is worth putting up with a noiser bow?
i also didn't notice any difference in the way the bow handled and the arrows did show slightly weak.

any advice?
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: can't get D97 as quiet as dacron
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 11:06:00 PM »
I have found just the opposite to be true, but I am using a six strand D97 Flemish twist string with padded loops. If you do a search for a thread about O.L. Adcock's skinny strings from a while back you will learn more than you want to about this topic. I tried it and like it. It also takes the shock out of some bows like nothing else I have seen. You could try skinnier strings, say 6 strand for your 54# and eight for the 69#.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 11:10:00 PM »
There's really nothing worth putting up with a noisier bow...

Having said that, I don't find fast flight materials to be louder, but they definitely produce a higher pitch of sound than dacron.  With a bit of tuning, my bows at least as quiet with D97 as they were with dacron.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline TomMcDonald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 12:01:00 AM »
Try a different silencing material.

Offline Oregon Okie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 12:13:00 AM »
8 strands for me on my 57#. I think it's pretty quiet but haven't shot it with dacron
"Don't believe everything you think" - bumper sticker

"Savage Blaster" - 50@31 - 63" (recurve I made with Steve Savage)
Firefly TD longbow - 50@31 - 63"
7 Lakes double shelf from a blank - 45@31 - 66"
Trident ILF w Blackmax carbons - 42@31

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 06:25:00 AM »
Dacron will always be quiter than FF materail.Nature of the two beast.You can play w/ skinner strings but you do risk string failure.Been there and done that.I've been usins TS-1 w/ crown serving w/ good results.Give your FF string some time to settle and then play w/ silencers.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 08:11:00 AM »
I have used bow hush on every recurve I've had.It has helped to quieten recurves alot in my opinion.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 08:15:00 AM »
The arrows showing slightly weak might be a clue--if the arrow spine is off, it can cause extra noise.  

How is the nock fit?  A nock that's too tight will also add to the noise.

With the silencers, did you try every position, moving them an inch or so at a time?  Some bows are picky, and some don't follow the rules.  Had a fellow come by one day with a noisy bow, and after a lot of tinkering I'd honestly given up on it.  For some reason, he moved the silencers closer to the tips--10" or so, if I remember correctly (which wasn't supposed to be as effective)--bow because as quiet as a church mouse.  I've seen (heard) where moving the silencers an inch made a huge difference also.

I have to disgree that FF materials are always noisier--my experience is just the opposite, and I've talked to lots of others who have told me the same.

It is possible that particular bow just doesn't "like" that string--sometimes weird things happen that I don't claim to understand.  I'd work at it a bit more first though--what you'll be giving up by going to dacron is durability, lack of stretch/creep, and reduced hand shock.

Chad

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 09:43:00 AM »
I'm convinced folks don't pick up on frequencies the same.  I am also convinced that there is a big frequency difference between dacron and no-stretch string materials.  I'm also convinced that I have never met a FF type string that was as quiet and as pleasent to shoot as dacron.  I must be weird!
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 10:45:00 AM »
Everyone has different experiences and preferances.  The frequencies do vary--but they also vary with different bows, different strand counts, different sizes and lengths of serving, etc. etc. etc.

For instance, I tried an 18 strand 8125 string on my longbow once.  I shot it maybe a dozen times and trashed it--didn't like the feel, and it was really noisy.  Later on, I tried a 12 or 14 strand (I forget which)--it was super quiet.  Same material, same type string, same string maker, totally different results.

Personal preferances can vary a lot and sway opinions.  Some folks love the way a Hill style longbow shoots, some can't handle them at all--it's a difference in the shooter, not the bow.

We're all weird, else we wouldn't be in this sport to begin with.  :archer:  

Chad

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 11:06:00 AM »
Dacron for me. I think by the time you add all of the yarn to FF stuff to get it quiet, you have lost the advantage.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 12:10:00 PM »
Post stats for your bow, then.

Seriously folks, making stuff up because you don't want to change isn't cool.  If you want to shoot dacron, that's your choice.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 12:25:00 PM »
For me the only bows I shoot with dacron are the older recurves not made to handle it.I like D97 on my other bows for the way the bow feels and not for any speed increase.The bow feels more solid at the shot,less handshock,shoot a lower brace height and doesn't feel springy like with dacron.I shoot mainly longbows and haven't had any problem getting them quiet.I found D97 quieter then the old type FF.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 01:12:00 PM »
Adding more silencers is like putting bigger fletchings on an arrow--it doesn't fix the problem it just masks it.

The main benefits to materials like Dynaflight '97 and 8125 aren't the extra few fps, at least to me.  I like the increased durability, lack of creep/stretch, and reduced hand shock.  I'd use them if they were slower than dacron.

Chad

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2009, 11:26:00 PM »
the limbs have felt in the string groves and i moved the catwhiskers everywhere from 10"-18" from the limb tips.

not keen on skinny strings (less than eight strands)

nock fit is good. releases without plucking the string.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2009, 09:23:00 AM »
Jeff, I guess you are referring to those who have stated their reasons for not liking newer, high performance strings?  Why would someone lie about their observations?  I seriously don't understand your comment above.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2009, 05:04:00 PM »
I agree with Apex, people pick up on sounds and frequencies differently.  Once I was tinkering with my bow trying to quiet it down to my liking.  Got frustrated and went to the local Trad shop and had some very experienced guys help me out.  They stood next to me and listened. I said "you hear that",  they looked at me like "what's the problem-that's super quiet" I then shot one of my other bows that I thought I had almost dead silent and they didn't think it was any better than the other bow.  Can't recall what the string types and strand counts were, but it was interesting how we percieved things differently.  
Also agree with Chad/LBR, each bow has its own personality and reacts differently to different string material, strands, silencers...etc
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2009, 06:12:00 PM »
Tell you what-get Chad to make you a 6 strand D97 string for your bow. If that does not make it quiet I will be happy to buy it from you!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2009, 09:03:00 PM »
I have bows with FF and bows with Dacron,I have yet to have a FF be as silent as Dacron. I have friends that use FF and their bows are silent. I had them make a FF string for my bow, set it up just like they did.....Dacron was less noise..it must be me, My release, my arrows,I just don't know!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Huntin4deer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2009, 12:11:00 AM »
I've found TS+ to be quieter than the D97.  My Sheepeater likes the TS+ better.  She's quieter then the D97 for sure and I'd almost venture to guess that it is close to the same noise level as the B50 dacron.  I use an 18 strand, 3 bundle string with .24 Halo serving and woolie bear string silencers.
H4D
..His bow remains steady, and his arms are made strong by the power of the Mighty God...
Genesis 49:24

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©