3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: McAlister application question  (Read 713 times)

Offline wasapt

• Trad Bowhunter
McAlister application question
« on: May 15, 2009, 07:22:00 PM »
I called the Ok Wildlife Folks today for a simple question about the correct lic. to purchase for the McAlister trad archery deer hunt. As usual, the information the gov't agency gave out was incorrect. They said yes, purchase the $5 legacy lic. and also, a NR 5 day lic. which is $70. I hang up thinking, OK, I got it, I must have missed the $70 lic. they mentioned when I went online before I called but I am sure it is there so I will buy it after work. Now, I go there, and there is not a 5 day $70 lic. to buy. There is a NR archery lic to buy for $137 but is that what I need? Please help
bryce olson

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: McAlister application question
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 08:26:00 PM »
Bryce,

I think this information will answer your questions. Better hurry. Let me know if you need more.

2009 NR Deer Archery   5/15/2009 to 12/31/2009   Required for all nonresidents who hunt deer during deer archery season. License is valid for one antlered or one antlerless deer. If hunting only deer, no annual or 5-day hunting license is required. Legacy permit is also required, unless exempt. (A Nonresident Combined Deer Archery license may be purchased to hunt and harvest 1 antlered and 1 antlerless deer.)   $201.00

2009 Legacy Permit   5/15/2009 to 12/31/2009   Required of all individuals who fish, hunt, trap, or attempt to take fish or wildlife in any manner, unless exempt. Exemptions include Oklahoma lifetime license holders. Consult current Fishing Guide or Hunting Guide for other exemptions.   $5.00

https://www.wildlifedepartment.com/forget1/FindUser/LicenseDescription.aspx

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline wasapt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 08:51:00 PM »
So Alan, the way I read that is if i am only hunting the draw on McAlister, I only need to buy the legacy lic. right now for the application, and then, if I get drawn, i'd buy the additional $201 lic.  Right?
Thanks
Bryce
bryce olson

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 09:08:00 PM »
Controlled hunt deadline has been extended to May 16.

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/controlhunt.htm

Online Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 10:30:00 PM »
Bryce,

You have to have the license purchased before you apply for the draw hunts. Your license number is require field information on the draw hunt application. The Legacy Permit is also a required fee for all hunting and fishing. Money is used to purchase land for public access use, i.e. hunting/fishing, etc. The draw hunts have a $5.00 fee at the time the application is submitted either Visa or Mastercard

Rusty
"Mystic rhythms,Under northern lights or the African sun,Primitive things stir the hearts of everyone"

Offline wasapt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 11:44:00 PM »
So I will try and ask it another way, is the way to do it, purchase the $5 legacy license, go online and make application and then if drawn for McAlister in a several weeks, you buy the non resident $201 fee? Or do you buyt eh $5 now and the $137 now, to make application?
bryce olson

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 11:50:00 PM »
Like tater said, the license is required in order fill out the online application. Kind of a risk for a non resident.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 09:23:00 AM »
From the Wildlife department website:

All applicants must purchase a nonresident hunting license prior to applying for the controlled hunts. A nonresident applicant may purchase a 5-day hunting license for $42.50 before applying, however, it is not valid for turkey and big game hunting. In the event a nonresident applicant draws one of these hunts, they must obtain the appropriate license to hunt that type of game.

I think the 5 day is now $70. (I'm wondering if you have to designate the 5 days when you order it. That could be a problem if you put three choices for the McAlester hunt but I bet they've got that worked out.)

Based on what I saw both times I've hunted McAlester I think you buy your tag at check-in but it's only good for McAlester.

I would call Bill Starry, the natural resource mgr for the ammo plant. He is there and runs the hunt. Here is the only number I've got that could probably lead you to Bill  918-420-7484

Online Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 10:35:00 AM »
5-day is not valid for deer.  

If the wildlife department honored NR 5-day hunting license you'd have to designate exactly which days you will hunt.

5 choices are available to each applicant. If a NR wanted to apply for all 5 available choices each choice would require a different 5-day hunting license. There isn't a way to inter additional license numbers for the applicant, plus the cost would be multiplied by the number of choices times the 5-day fee. 5 maximum choices X $70 ea. = $350

Legacy permit is not a license

Rusty
"Mystic rhythms,Under northern lights or the African sun,Primitive things stir the hearts of everyone"

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 10:52:00 AM »
Nonresidents

11.   Nonresident Annual or 5-Day (consecutive days of the year) Hunting License – Prior to applying for controlled hunts, all nonresidents must possess any valid Oklahoma hunting license during the current calendar year of the drawing. Any such license is nonrefundable if the applicant does not draw a hunt. Also applies to nonresident youth.

Sounds to me like you HAVE to buy one in order to apply.  Since the 5 day is way cheaper, it appears that maybe that is the way most folks do it.

"As usual, the information the gov't agency gave out was incorrect."

Hmmmm
ChuckC

Offline wasapt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 10:59:00 AM »
Seems nobody here has actually done it and can answere the question. I called ODWC, no answere, and I did speak to Bill, he directed me back to ODWC, LOL
bryce olson

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 12:46:00 PM »
Bryce: the problem here is that we are all residents and it is much simpler for us. Also, it's not the last hoop you will jump through to hunt there but that's for security reasons.

It is embarrassing that the wildlife department can't give you a straight answer. I agree with Tater that the 5 day license could be a problem with the online application system.

I have hunted there twice, killed one buck but I would not spend $206 just to enter the drawing.

Of course this might change your mind (taken at the ammo plant):
 http://www.mcaapcontrolledhunts.com/Videos/Movie.wmv

Online Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2009, 12:52:00 PM »
"As usual, the information the gov't agency gave out was incorrect."  No new news there...

Buy the NR 5-day, pick the dates you specifically want to hunt, choice those hunt dates. If your drawn you recieve your permit to attend. At that time you can purchase the necessary deer tag valid only for that date event and have it at check-in or buy the tag at check-in and additional ones if available.

If you buy a NR Deer permit to hunt the entire season in public or open private land you'd still have to buy the draw hunt carcase tag if you are selected for one. That is also the case for residents. I want to say that draw hunt tags are not part of regular season limits,but I'm not sure.

Don't pay the Legacy Permit unless your drawn or plan to hunt regular season. If your boots are on the ground your required to have it.

:banghead:  Tryin' to help you out

Rusty

Offline wasapt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 12:09:00 AM »
I got it done, turns out you do have to buy the 5 day $70 lic. the one that says ""not to be used for deer. Who the &^%$#*@ approved the wording for that and the instructions on how to apply as a nonresident? It's funny now but thanks to a nice fella who is listed on the 2008 trad archery shoot flyer there on the site, Chuck W. , I was able to get the proper instructions and apply.
Thanks guys for hanging in there and helping. good luck to all that applied.
bryce olson

Online Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009, 11:33:00 AM »
:thumbsup:       Seventy bucks ain't to bad a price at a chance, unless you don't get drawn for ten years for trying.

I was drawn first and second years at MAAP and fourth year at Western Wall. I've been pretty fotunate.

Good luck

Rusty

Online Stringwacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2009, 07:47:00 PM »
I've done it. You buy the five day NR license just to get a chance in the draw. You can apply all 5 hunt dates with that as long as you have a license number.

If you get drawn, then you can pay for the higher cost deer license. Of course, you can by the deer license right off the bat and apply with that, but if you don't get drawn then your out more money.

I'm lucky this year...got a quality pass last year so I don't have to go through the draw this time. I'm hunting Boggy on the Nov 13th hunt.
Pope and Young Life Member
PBS Regular
Compton Bowhunters
Mississippi Bowhunters Hall of Fame

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2009, 08:23:00 PM »
>>Boggy on the Nov 13th hunt.<<

Nice pass! Did you shoot a doe or a hog to get the pass?

Online Stringwacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2009, 11:36:00 AM »
Shot a hog! (237 lbs field dressed)
Pope and Young Life Member
PBS Regular
Compton Bowhunters
Mississippi Bowhunters Hall of Fame

Offline Toklat1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2009, 02:29:00 PM »
I got my application in also!  :bigsmyl:
Mark Griffin
USAF Retired
1981-2001

"When a Man comes to the mountains, He comes home." John Muir

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2009, 10:17:00 PM »
Can one of you non-residents tell us residents whats-up? Are you buying the small game hunting license to apply for the hunt, then buying the NR deer hunting license after you get confirmed you where selected for a draw hunt, then buying the deer tag to hunt the special hunt you were drawn for? Thats adding up close to $300? I'm just curious and know this will be asked again in the future.

Rusty

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©