3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bowyer Teaches My Son a good lesson  (Read 452 times)

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Bowyer Teaches My Son a good lesson
« on: May 17, 2009, 08:45:00 AM »
I took my youngest son Luke out for some rabbit hunting this past winter. All was going just fine until we got back to the truck. Luke was hunting with his first bow ( a forward handle long bow) made by a good friend of mine JD Berry. We loaded up the truck with all the gear to go get some lunch when I heard a loud gut renching crunch. Luke had closed the door on his bow limb.  I had to keep my mouth shut because the look on Lukes face said it all. A quick inspection and I knew all was lost with this bow. It was a very quiet ride home.  Weeks went by and Luke went with Tim and I to Kennys (4Runners) home for a bow build. Luke took his older brothers American style custom bow, to shoot with a stern warning from his brother, "Dont break my bow or else".  Luke shot it a couple times and hated it.
   Driving Luke home from school one day he asked if I had spoken to the guy that builds the bows. He suggested that I should call him.   :saywhat:   . I called JD and handed the phone to Luke. Jd chewed on Luke for a bit for being careless and the conversation ended with Luke describing a bow he would like to have. I then heard Luke say he had $12.00. A evil smile filled my face and Luke just kept looking at me with the phone to his ear. JD told Luke to send the $12.00 now and $20.00 a month until the bow was paid off.  If he didnt pay up JD told Luke he was going to call the cops.  Luke now does the dishes every night and extra chores trying to work off the money to pay for the bow.

Elk antler tips.  

Online non-typical

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bowyer Teaches My Son a good lesson
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 08:50:00 AM »
Great story Mike. Thanks for sharing it!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Tradgang member #160

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 08:52:00 AM »
Great Story! That just made my day! I have admired JD"s bows for years now. After reading this story maybe I should give him a call. Your  son has learned a valuable lesson in life ten times over. He will keep his beautiful new bow with him forever and look back on it for years to come.

Offline lone hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 08:52:00 AM »
A good friend, a good lesson, and a beautiful bow.Well done on everyone's part.

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 08:57:00 AM »
James sure did him right! That's a great little bow.  Now we'll never get out of the house without him!   :thumbsup:
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline EASTERNARCHER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 09:53:00 AM »
What a great lesson learned.
Wish more kids would learn that way.
BTW, that is one sweet looking bow too!
ARCHER

Offline AdamH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 09:56:00 AM »
Now,, That Is GOOD !!

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 09:57:00 AM »
Beautiful bow and cool story!

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 10:03:00 AM »
Good story its nice to know there are still a lot of good people out there and it sure seems like a lot of them end up here.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 10:50:00 AM »
Cool story. My hat is off to Mr.Berry.
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 10:52:00 AM »
More kids in this world could use lessons like that! Thanks for sharing your story. Great looking bow too.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 01:49:00 PM »
Hi, Mike!    So glad to see your post on several levels.   I still think very fondly of the day I spent with you guys last year, but in shifting stuff from my Ohio friend's computer back to my lap top back to my home computer, I lost your email.   I'll be PM'ing you.

Beautiful bow, and a great story.  You've got a lucky bow.   That's James all over.  

Last July I was at the Medical Lake shoot and I had my Berry Yahweh on my sale table.   Guy walks up and asks what's the matter, didn't I like the bow?  I explained that I loved the bow, it was one of two I had had, but due to medical problems I couldn't draw it any more.  Guy says, "What can you draw?"  I said, "about 35#", and he says, "Well, then that's what I'll build you."

Of course, it was James.  I bought both of my Berry's used and had never contacted him.   I knew he lived in WA but didn't know it was in Medical Lake.   He built me a gorgeous 33# Viper.  It's typically Berry beautiful and it's one of the fastest bows I've ever shot, hitting consistant high 180's shot through a chrono from my machine, and 150's hand released from my 25" draw.

While the bow was being built, I spent a lot of time on the phone with JD, and told him my tale of woe about trying to get a laminated version of the old York and Pearson wide limbed flat bows built.  I'd had several built but they just weren't exactly what I was looking for.   I mentioned that I had had the thought that maybe I'd have to learn to build them myself, but it was a pretty daunting prospect.  His response, "If you've got some time, bring the bow you want copied out here.  I'll build you a form and teach you how to lay up a bow and you can take it from there."   I was at his place a couple of weeks later and came home with a double form for my style of bow and a Hill style, and a new wide limbed flatbow that had exactly the look I was after.  We had to guess at several features and the layup formula, because he'd never done one quite like this before, but it all worked out.

I came home, equipped my shop, and have built two more flatbows and five Hill styles. I'm about to start work on grinding the lams for the next one.  I'll never build bows like he does, but thanks to his generosity, I'm working in my shop again after an 8 year lapse and having more fun than I've had in years.

I'm looking forward to seeing James and shooting with him again at Medical Lake this year.  He's one great guy.
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 02:41:00 PM »
It is great to hear from you Dick. Glad to hear your building bows. James told me you guys spent some time together making bows. My eyes were green is all I can say.  James has a big heart but dont let him know that it will go straight to his head.  :biglaugh:

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 02:47:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :clapper:

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009, 03:29:00 PM »
my son did the exact same thing. first time he took his Great Northern out to shoot he shut the truck door on the upper limb, crunch! no fixing it. he is still saving for a new one.  tough lesson but a good one.
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2009, 03:33:00 PM »
Very cool Mike. Beautiful bow.

Kudos to you for sticking to making the boy pay his own way. Too many kids now days don't have to pay for their mistakes.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2009, 04:55:00 PM »
The greatest value is not in the material item but, in the lesson learned. I would imagine every time he looks or handles that bow, he will feel a sense of pride in the fact that he paid for it himself in one way or another, and will be more careful with his property as well as others property. This is a great step towards his manhood.

Outstanding parenting on your part and JD's!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :clapper:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Elk77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2009, 08:53:00 PM »
Just turned on the computer and seen this. Yes James is good with the kids, he has giving bows away at times to customers children that could not afford another bow because of hard times. James and I have helped at the range with the girl and boy scouts, teaching the wonderful sport of archery. My daughter who is 15 now received a bow from James just this past Christmas. With all that said I just have one more thing to say. I JUST KICKED JAMES'S BUTT AT THE WASHINGTON STATE SHOOT  :knothead:    :knothead:    :knothead:    :knothead:    :knothead:      :biglaugh:

Offline TNstickn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2009, 09:11:00 PM »
Great story!! Thanks for sharing!!  :thumbsup:
Pick a spot.>>>>-------> Shoot straight.

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2009, 09:21:00 PM »
Congrats Dan !!!State Champ!!! Not to shabby. I told James to slam your fingers in the car door this morning....I guess he thought better of it..  :notworthy:    :notworthy:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©