3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Crown Dip Help  (Read 183 times)

Offline Trad Lad

• Trad Bowhunter
Crown Dip Help
« on: May 17, 2009, 09:41:00 AM »
Not sure if this is were to place this thread but couldn't find an arrow building thread so here goes.
For the first time I am using clear, waterbase, semi gloss polyurethane sealer on my arrows in lieu of gasket laquer. I don't like what gasket laquer does to metalic colors so I wanted to try something new. So now all my arrows are stained and dipped twice in polyurethane, that part is fine.  In this case I also want to crown dip. The latex enamel I bought for the crown dip was very thick, way to thick to dispense out of a little dipper. I tried to thin with water but didn't know what ratio to use so it would be very thin to drip off the arrow and make a smoothe finish. I did add water and tried mixing by shaking, that was a bad idea. Ok so where I need help is 1)how do I know how much water to add to dilute to a thin enough viscosity to make a nice thin coat of crown dip and 2)how do I mix it not to creat bubbles that will never go away and transfer to my shaft?
Thanks in advance to any help that can come my way.
Pip
Richard "Pip" Pippenger

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Crown Dip Help
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 10:16:00 AM »
You won't need much water as the latex will thin pretty fast.  It will seem thick, but when dry will be fine.  It is pretty easy to get it too thin and it doesn't cover well.  I recommend getting a gallon of distilled water for thinning.  Shaking any paint will introduce bubbles, but they will go away after a bit.  It takes a while with latex due to it being thick.  Best is to stir it in the can and then add it to your tube.  Pouring will add bubbles as well, just give them a while to float off.   Good luck!
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Crown Dip Help
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 11:50:00 AM »
Spray paint makes a nice crown, just mask them off with the blue stuff and spray. I's so much easier than dipping, when I do dip I like Bohning products.
Not sure what you use for glue but Duco works well with water base sealers.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©