3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: selfbow clickety click  (Read 663 times)

Offline superkodiak

• Trad Bowhunter
selfbow clickety click
« on: March 23, 2007, 08:04:00 PM »
Hey guys, I have been shooting my sinew backed osage long bow that I put together and the arrows have been smacking off the bow and making a loud noise.  Could these arrows be underspined or overspined?  They are poplar arrows that are spined for a 55-60# bow and they have 190 grain grizzlies up front.  My self bow at my 28 inch draw length is pulling 51#.  These are arrows that I made with self nocks, could they be too tight causing a bad release?  Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh yeah, the arrows are kicked a little to the right in the target.

Shawn

Offline MAC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: selfbow clickety click
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 08:27:00 PM »
are the nocs tight? have you got a shelf cut out?
If you dont have a cut out you are trying to shoot around the bow and your arrows are probably too stiff for that. probably go to a 45-50 or 50-55
>>>>----Semper Fi---->

Offline superkodiak

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 08:29:00 PM »
there isn't a shelf cut out, and the nocks don't seem tight.

Offline MAC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 08:35:00 PM »
you might try going down in spine, you would think the 190gr head would soften them up enough. I would try a lighter spine first.
>>>>----Semper Fi---->

Offline superkodiak

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 09:41:00 PM »
I think thats what I'll do in the mornin is try a lighter spine, I might even loosen up a nock and see if that effects anything in the shot process.  Could it be possible that I am torquing the grip enough to make a difference?  THanks Mac for all the great info. =)

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 11:56:00 PM »
For self bows I like arrows spined about 10# less than draw weight. Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Little Tree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2007, 12:00:00 AM »
Yeah, with a 51# non-center shot selfbow, and a 190 gr, try a 45-50 spine arrow. But first I would check string allignment. you may have to shave a bit of material off the rest area. Also, make sure that the arrow is contacting only a small point on the plate/rest of the bow, and not sliding on a long flat area. good luck

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 07:44:00 AM »
Using those 190gr points you are in effect lowering your spine down to around a 35-40# arrow. Subtract another spine range for every inch over 28". Looks like you're way underspined. Other causes could be the string slapping your armguard or worn glove or tab. String alingment could be off as well. By using a rear tapered arrow in these selfbows you can get your arrow's spine closer to your bow's weight.-ART B

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©