3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Talk to me about Brace Height  (Read 275 times)

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
Talk to me about Brace Height
« on: May 17, 2009, 11:48:00 AM »
I have my bowyer's recommendation.  I also know that each bow will tell you where it likes to be shot.  I'm "good" with that.

What I'd like to learn is....what does being low or high mean in relation to the bow's:

1.  noise?
2.  peformance?
3.  other?

I'm just trying to learn the "why" side of it as I tune this new bow (added a new string, today).  I'm assuming (maybe unintelligently) that the string material would make a difference, also.  I "hope" this new one is a little less "plucky" sounding than the last.  I installed my bow hush and hush puppies, just now.  I'll let them settle in, overnight, but I'd like to know why high or low is preferred by you guys......and why.

Thanks for your replies!

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Talk to me about Brace Height
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 12:02:00 PM »
1) higher brace USUALLY means quieter for me but each bow has its sweet spot.

2) lower brace yields higher speed due to longer power stroke.

3) raising brace height will normally move my arrow impact to the right and down (RH) and soften the dynamic spine.

Hope that helps.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline twotimer

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 12:56:00 PM »
i agree with katman on all points.i personaly don't prefer high or low.i want my brace height to be at the optiumun for that paticular bow.were it shoots the quiest and smoothest.when setting up a new bow,i start out with a low brace,ie,6 3/4,and work up in 5 string twistincrements,when it levels out,i take in on up a few increments to be sure,then move it back to were it was the best for me.then record the info for that bow and string.ever time you change strings you need to go thru this again.regards,robert  :campfire:    :archer:    :coffee:
'TGMM FAMILY of THE BOW"at 211 degrees water is hot.at 212 it boils and cause's steam,which can run a locomotive.is it worth that one extra ounce of effort to finish first,the difference between good and great?

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 01:13:00 PM »
I plan on finding the sweet spot.  I was just curious as to the "rules" for high/low BH.

I recently switched from a LB to a 'curve, and the 'curve seems louder than the LB.  Maybe it's my proximity.  Maybe it's in my head.

I'm probably gonna play with some heavier arrows in the coming months.  That should also help.  I'm having a blast shooting 3D right now, and the extra flat arrow flight is a blessing, there.  Come about Aug. 1, I'll get into hunting mode and make my final adjustments.  Right now, I'm thinking 15yds is my max. eff. range.  So getting used to the added weight shouldn't be too tough.

Offline k9jones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 01:20:00 PM »
I was just getting ready to ask a question about brace heights also.  I have been shooting mine with a 7.25" brace height for many years.  The owner's manuel didn't give a recommendation, it just advised you of the lower brace will give better speeds, and longer will be more forgiven.  I read in one of their brochures that my model had a recommended brace hieght of 8.25-9". Yesterday I decided to increased the brace height to 8.75, and man what a difference that made.  It shoots a lot better, and I swear it seems faster.

Is it possible for it to be faster?

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 01:26:00 PM »
I just shoot the bow without silences first.I find where it is quietest with nothing on the string and then add silencers and leave it at that distance.Sometimes it is lower than recomendations and sometimes higher.Many times on recurves depending on how much curve is in the tips lower is really quieter than higher.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 02:14:00 PM »
In my experience, BH can have a huge effect on noise, but can only have a tiny effect on speed.
Otto

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©