3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Confessions of a newbie pig hunter  (Read 688 times)

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
Confessions of a newbie pig hunter
« on: May 17, 2009, 03:50:00 PM »
I was invited to hunt on a friend’s property in east Texas.  The goal was to get a pig with my long bow.  Now I will be the first to admit I know nothing about pig hunting but I was willing to give it a shot.

A couple of weeks ago I was shown around the property so I wouldn’t wander off onto someone else’s place and to also get an idea of the lay of the land.  We planned to hunt but the rain was so bad it just wasn’t going to happen.  Any hunting I would do would be on my own.  As I waited for this weekend to get here I read everything I could find about pig hunting and picked a few brains also.  Among them was Sharpster. He taught me how to get my broadheads so sharp that they would shave hair without even touching the skin.

I arrived Friday about 3 pm.  When I initially showed up two weeks ago my host had a wall tent set up and had graciously offered to let me bunk there.  Remember the rain I talked about?  Well since that tent had cold and cold running water and a pleasant view of the starts on a clear night I had decided to bring my own tent this time.

The plan was to hunt feeders which must be the norm in Texas but the hogs had torn the feeders up.  I didn’t know that the first evening as I sat in the tripod and waited for the feeder to go off.  I waited and waited and waited.  Dang thing never went off so after dark I took a look at it.  The pigs had torn it up again.

I went back to the tent and pondered what the plan was for the morning since the feeders were now out of the equation.  There was a long dirt road on the property and since it was loaded with pig sign I thought just slipping along that road might work.  

The day was just getting started as I began easing down the dirt road the next morning.  I had traveled about 50 yards when I heard a sound that was very close.  The sound was just around the corner and was not unlike my lab shaking his head and making his ears flop back and forth.   I quickly knelt down in some knee high grass and waited to see what was coming around the corner.  Less than a minute went by and a huge reddish brown porker came around the corner.  We were nose to snout and only 15 yards apart.  I had been told pigs had poor eyesight so I wasn’t worried as long as I stayed still.  Ha! Fat chance, this pig obviously had no problem seeing at all!  He snorted bon voyage and took off. I know I didn’t’ get a shot but I had seen a wild pig.  I smiled and kept saying to myself, “That was so cool.”  

The wallow I had found was only about 40 yards further so I crept that way.  Just as I arrived I heard more grunts heading my way.  I quickly made my way inside the pines to avoid being caught in the open again yet I was only about 10 yards from the wallow.  I knew porkchops were mine in a matter of minutes now that I was in a hiding place and not likely to be seen.

The first pig that showed up was white with splotches all over.  He made it to the wallow and immediately began enjoying himself.  I was only 10 yards away but I couldn’t get a shot due to a 2nd pig headed to the wallow at 20 yards.  I could only watch as “Splotch” happily enjoyed his mud bath within spitting distance.  The 2nd pig finally arrived and was bigger than “Splotch” so I decided to take him instead.  I began my draw.   “Splotch” must have seen me through a mud coated eyeball and sounded the warning.  Both pigs took off and left me with no doubt that pigs could see through a lead wall.

As I eased along another 40 yards I came across this fellow.  His glare seemed to say “Slow down! You expect to see anything going that fast?”  I took his advice and slowed down.

Moving like molasses I oozed along.  Suddenly I heard more grunts and they were headed my way.  Not from the road this time but from an old clearcut area off to the side of the road.  I stood still and listened to the grunts getting closer and closer.  Suddenly there were two dark black pigs and they were about 20 yards away.  I waited for the bigger of the two to get broadside and the arrow was on the way.   I watched it hit right were I wanted it.  The pig reversed ends and I could see the arrow did not poke through on the other side.  Still from seeing where the arrow was I knew that pig was mine.  I looked at my watch. I had been hunting a whopping hour and had managed to get about 200 yards from the tent.  

I walked back to the tent and ate and kept busy waiting for an hour to go by.  After an hour I went back fully expecting to find one dead pig.  It didn’t turn out that way.  I couldn’t find a drop of blood and the ground was so covered with sign I couldn’t tell which was my pig.  I looked for 5 hours crisscrossing the thicket but never found any blood, pig or my arrow.  For the life of me I can’t figure out what went wrong.

I went to bed early as I listened to the rain hitting the tent.  I was glad I had brought my own and was not in the tent with a view of the stars. When the alarm went off I headed back to the wallow to get set up before daylight.  Just after daybreak I heard the grunts I was expecting.  The only problem was they were not coming down the road as planned, they were coming from the thicket I was concealed in and they were getting very close.  Not that much of a problem, just had to turn around and face the opposite way.    In a few minutes I had 5 grown pigs and 3 piglets closing the distance.  When they got within 20 yards I waited for a broadside shot.  But no they didn’t continue moving right to left.  They changed directions and began coming straight at me.  The lead pig was at 7 yards when he finally busted me.  

The score for my trip was pigs 16 and me 0.  Still I can’t tell you how happy I was other than the one that I couldn’t find.  So if anyone would like to take a pig newbie under your wing I’d be happy as a “Splotch” in a wallow.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Confessions of a newbie pig hunter
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 04:22:00 PM »
Thanks... Was a good read.

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 05:00:00 PM »
i feel your "pain"!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 05:01:00 PM »
You'll score one someday, just keep at it. Thanks for sharing the photos and tale.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 05:50:00 PM »
With all those close encounters ,I know you had a blast.  :thumbsup:

Offline fido dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 07:51:00 PM »
Sounds like a great time to me!
A politician who acts foolishly may NOT be acting!

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 08:56:00 PM »
Great story man!  Thanks for taking us along.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 09:10:00 PM »
Lessons I learned from my first ever pig hunt.

Pigs have fine eye sight

deer are easier to sneak up on (snuck up within 15 yards on three deer this weekend)

If the wind is swirling forget it

A full grown pig is bigger than I would have thought.  May have been nerves with such close range and on the ground but some of those pigs looked like baby elephants to me

Very tough to kill.  I believe my shot would have killed any whitetail, not so with the pig

If stalking around remember the turtle and go very slowly

I don't know if I will get to go back to this property.  I was slated to go on the Steve fiasco hunt and when that fell through this gentalman offered to let me hunt on his place.
Even if I never get invited again I will always be grateful for this chance.

I know we have feral hogs here in AR but I don't have a clue if any of the public WMAs have any.  I sure hope so because it was the most fun I've had in a long time. Unless I get invited again the WMAs are all I have.
  :)
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 09:11:00 PM »
Good story .I know you had fun seeing pork like that.

Keep after`m and it`ll happen. I once hunted Fort Stewart here in South Ga a lot during the Summer. I would go at least once a week for a days hunt . I had pigs under 10 yards 11 times and did`nt get a shot. Took a break and hit a WMA in early bow season and killed 5 in 3 days.

Point is all the close calls you had could be dead pigs next time.RC

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 09:21:00 PM »
Welcome to Hog Hunting!!!

Robert is correct...you can get busted 12 times in a row and kill the next 6.  I've done it myself.  Those crazy S. GA winds can really wreak havoc on a hog hunter.

Baby Elephants?....never heard that term before, but I like the term North American Rhino myself.   :)

I hope you get to make it back to that property....I'll be pulling for ya.   :thumbsup:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline smokin feathers

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 09:32:00 PM »
remember to shoot them low and forward. my buddy runs a hog bowhuntin ranch and I help him all the time to kill wounded hogs in it after big groups come out for the weekend. They can live for days on shots that would kill a deer. Most shots are too high and back, high shots heal no time flat.

most of the time if they are rooting and your down wind you can get close quick, especailly if they are on a pipeline and you slip into the woods.
Smoke

TGMM-FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline oldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 10:13:00 PM »
Sounds like you had fun Pac. Wish I was there with ya!
CHX 58in 44@28 CHX 58in 52@28

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 10:17:00 PM »
I have a friend that has a hog lease and he always says "take any shot you like as long as it's low and quartering away."
I've had hunts where I could stalk up and poke a hog with my bow and the next one you try and slow draw and they blow out.
You just never know.
They are tough, and I would argue that they recover better from arrow wounds than most game animals.

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 10:36:00 PM »
Great read! Thanks for taking us along.  :thumbsup:  

I can relate to your hunt. I went hog hunting for the first time this year and had several encounters, three shots but no pork but I am hooked on hog hunting. It is a blast! Good luck with your quest.
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009, 10:45:00 PM »
Great story...plenty of excitement in a short period of time. head back out there and put a hurtin on those porkers!
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2009, 04:43:00 AM »
Great story...keep at it...welcome to pig hunting.

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2009, 07:48:00 AM »
Great story, thanks for sharing.
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2009, 08:16:00 AM »
wonderful read... truly enjoyed it.
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2009, 09:32:00 AM »
Now you're hooked.

A hog is all "guts" anywhere behind a line straight up the front leg.

Occasionally you get lucky on a shot over the midline of the hog and catch some lung, but I'd count on anything behind directly up the front leg as a gut hit.

Hogs will always die when gut shot..it just takes them longer than deer cause they're tougher.

Don't shoot hogs behind the front leg unless its a quartering away shot, and don't shoot them above half way up the body if you want to recover.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2009, 01:20:00 PM »
Well done on the story.  It sounds like a great hunt.  Thanks for sharing.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©