3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Installing fur silencers  (Read 347 times)

Offline Toklat1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Installing fur silencers
« on: May 17, 2009, 06:32:00 PM »
To those of you out there who use fur String silencers, What is the easiest method to add these on to your strings? Do you remove the string then weave it through and then restring the bow or do you take a little tension off of the string and add them on this way? Thanks,
Mark Griffin
USAF Retired
1981-2001

"When a Man comes to the mountains, He comes home." John Muir

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Installing fur silencers
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 06:42:00 PM »
I don't see how one man could do it, without removing the string.

If you had help, you could release tension; thread it in; Add tension back; wrap it; release tension; thread other end; add tension back.

Lots easier to just unstring it (IMO).

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 07:42:00 PM »
I release one end of the string while keeping the other end in the string groove. I untwist the string and separate the strands and add the fur. I retwist the string to approximately where it was and do the same thing to the other end. For me, it saves a lot of time fiddling with the brace height. I don't know if that's the "proper" way, but it works for me.
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline fido dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 07:43:00 PM »
http://www.3riversarchery.com/3rdemos3.asp#16

It's pretty easy. I actually did it perfect my first time. If I can do it, ANYONE can. LOL!
A politician who acts foolishly may NOT be acting!

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 08:43:00 PM »
I do it similar to Brian.  Unstring the bow and undo a few twists then insert the fur into the string and also a folded up piece of paper 'downstream' of the fur. (I normally put both fur strips in at this point)  The I string the bow back up, wind the fur around the string and insert the tag end through where the paper is, then pull the folded up paper out.  Then do the same for the other silencer, unstring the bow and twist the string back up.

Doing it that way ensures that the silencer is tight on the string.  If it's wrapped loosely it can vibrate and give you a buzzing sound after the shot.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Toklat1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 01:48:00 PM »
Thanks for the input guys, I had not seen that video before.  That helps a great deal. The individual who made my string put my silencers on and I wasn't sure how he got them on!
Mark Griffin
USAF Retired
1981-2001

"When a Man comes to the mountains, He comes home." John Muir

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline MMilin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 06:20:00 PM »
There's a neat tool made specifically for this purpose.  Works great.  Many good archery stores carry it.

Mark

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©