3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bench grinder for sharpening: how easy?  (Read 1518 times)

Offline Red Boar

• Trad Bowhunter
Bench grinder for sharpening: how easy?
« on: May 17, 2009, 07:27:00 PM »
I noticed the new product for sharpening at ABA.  

http://www.alaskabowhunting.com/GrizzlyStik-Razor-Sharp-System-P168C17.aspx

How easy is it to use a bench grinder for sharpening?  How do you insure that you have the blade at the proper angle to the grinder? Has anyone tried this particular product yet?  Thanks.   ;)
Treadway "Black Swamp"
Super Shrew
'62 Kodiak Magnum

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bench grinder for sharpening: how easy?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 08:07:00 PM »
Monte Browning had an article on this in TBM a few years ago. He used it for WW/Snuffer 3 blades. Set up as a screw-in head he would leave it threaded loose in the shaft so it would "self-align". Never heard of anyone using it for a 2 blade.

Eric

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 08:17:00 PM »
This system works great for 2 blade heads BUT you can get seriously injured trying to sharpen 3 blade heads using the Cardboard wheel....I know Monty knows his stuff and didn't see or read the article...I don't think theres any way that I'd even try a 3 or 4 blade head with this Sharpening method.......JC is very good with this method and you can search Landshark160...Chris Spikes....He posted a very good tutorial on here with lots of pics using this method.....We use it a lot on both broadheads and Knives....GOOD LUCK and be Careful
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Red Boar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 08:20:00 PM »
Thanks, Don.  I'd like to try it with my Grizzly Stik Samurai single bevels.  

Treadway "Black Swamp"
Super Shrew
'62 Kodiak Magnum

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 09:37:00 PM »
Good Luck Tim...Maybe JC and/or Landshark160 will be along soon....both have used this system on Single bevels...
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 11:27:00 PM »
If your going to try to sharpen 3 or 4 blade heads I'd go put a few pints of your blood in storage at the e.r. One wrong move and BAMM! No telling where that head will end up.
On the other hand.... (the one w/out the bright red stream shooting out) :scared:  ..... for 2 blade heads thats ALL I use. Not that brand but the same type system. It is possible to get an extremely sharp edge on knives and broadheads.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline newell38

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 07:14:00 AM »
i use this system for 2 BLADE HEADS, knives, and axes.  this is the best sharpening system IMO and only takes about 2 minutes to get a head or knive shaving sharp.  once you get yours, youll have to practice with a few b heads so u can learn what angles to use.  once u figure it out, its an amazing system.  this is good on 2 blade heads only.  be careful too when you do a head with bleeders.  i made that mistake last year when sharpening a zwickey...quite a bit of blood on the garage floor.  you should also wear a pair of leather gloves while using the system!
"The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.” – Arnold Schwarzenegger
Endless loop strings, heavy bows, and wood and only wood arrows...my kind of archery!

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 09:51:00 AM »
We have a set of these in our shop. They will tune a knife or 2 blade head but, as stated above, I wouldn't think of goin near that wheel with a multiblade head.

Couple other notes from our experience with the system- Maintaining a consistant angle is very critical when sharpening with anything. That's very true even with these wheels (stated repetedly in the instructions) and that's easier said than done.

I also found that it was very easy to overheat a blade on the abrasive wheel no matter how much wax we put on it.

I'm not a fan of combining high RPMs and sharp objects. I've had 2 Grizzlies yanked out of my hand and go richocheting around the shop. (Never found either one).There's a saying in woodworking about using power tools- "If you're not completely comfortable with the machine set-up, don't try it.

All that said, The paper wheels do work very well and will produce some of the best edges you've ever seen when used correctly. Just make sure the wheel is spinning away from you, and be very carefull.

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 10:09:00 AM »
I'm pretty sure Monty uses a regular stone grinding wheel for the 3 blades, not a paper wheel.  That is how the Rothhaar's and many other folks do them.  It works WELL.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 10:56:00 AM »
I've use the paper wheel system quite a bit over the last 9 years or so. Works great on 2 blade heads and if you are sharpening challenged you certainly learn with a few practice heads how to get that mirrored razor sharp edge. Only bad thing is draggin that 15# grinder and 10,000 feet of extension cord into the woods    :goldtooth:  

It's all in playin with the angles and watching that wire edge form and disappear with each progressive "flip." You can also easily oversharpen...polishing so much you dull the blade...but you'll figure that out.

As mentioned, make sure the wheel is spinning away from you.

I've used the paperwheel a couple of times for sharpening 3 blades. The last time I went a bit too far with my pressure and the leading edge hit the wheel while trying to sharpen the trailing edge. The 3 blade ended up sunk into a sheetrock wall after it was ripped out of my hand. Thankfully, no blood was lost in the process but the crease in seat of my office chair remains there today. I would highly, HIGHLY recommend not using the wheel for a 3 blade unless you take extreme care.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Red Boar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 11:52:00 AM »
Yikes...thanks for all the great replies, but I am getting scared. I am one of those guys that can get hurt by tools.    :knothead:    I tried one of the Redi Edge for single bevels from ABS...possibly I am doing it incorrectly, but I haven't found it to be effective.
Treadway "Black Swamp"
Super Shrew
'62 Kodiak Magnum

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 12:01:00 PM »
Man, a semi-sharp broadhead and a rapidly spinning grinder sound like a recipie for disaster to me.  

I will stick to my diamond hones.  I'm dangerous enough without moving parts...
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline martin guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 12:47:00 PM »
Tim,
Send them to Sharpster, he will fix them up for you!

Andy

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 09:37:00 PM »
They are safe for 2 blade heads and knives and etc. I use mine all the time. But never anything that can get into the wheel going the wrong way. I screwed up once and put a knife into it  going the wrong way. VERY SCARY ! I took the base off my bench grinder ( I set one up for sharpening only and I advise that ) and turned it 180 degrees so now I can sharpen off the top of the wheel as the wheel turns way from me. One thing I done was to use a protractor and put various angle markings on the side of the wheel. Before hitting the switch I put 0 degrees straight up at 12 oclock. The degree marks remind me of about where to hold the blade while sharpening. I'd like to make a jig to do it but have not figured out how yet.BTW, use the beeswax looking stuff, it'll help keep the steel from getting too hot.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 10:17:00 PM »
Red Boar,
Look up some sites on sharpening wood chisels.  Wood workers have been sharpening single bevel wood chisels for years using systems like that.  Nothing new, works perfect, produces a razor sharp edge very quickly. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline cedar swampman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2009, 10:23:00 PM »
I have a benchtop belt system made in Canada that rotates away from you and I can sharpen Woodsmans, any other broadhead as well as knives, scissors etc. Has a diamond belt and then a leather strop to hone that final edge. This rig was originally designed for sharpening chisels and carving knives. I'll look at it (its in my barn) and post some info tomorrow.

Offline STICKDP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2009, 10:55:00 PM »
If you get the metal to hot on a belt  or grinder it will take the temper out and make them soft . a friend of mine did this with a grizzly head and shot an elk and it bent on a rib bone - just curled over.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2009, 07:27:00 AM »
I started useing paper and felt wheels a couple years ago to speed up getting my simmons ready.It is a little learning curve but works great once you get the hang of it.I only do two blades however and have not tried a 3 blade or any single bevel heads..
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline shortstroke 91

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2009, 07:50:00 AM »
As stated above, these wheels work great and will put a razor edge on just about anything in a few minutes. Only 2 blade heads and knives go near mine but I wouldn't be caught without it. I need to recondition the abrasive wheel this weekend. I highly recommend these wheels if you're the least bit sharpening challenged.
shortstroke 91
TBOT Life Member

"BLOOD MAKES THE GRASS GROW"

Offline EasyEd

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2009, 03:01:00 PM »
Dear Red Boar and friends,
   It’s not often that I get a chance to spend time on the forums but did see your question about bench grinders used as sharpeners.  Over the years, it’s not very often that I find a product that really gets me excited but the first time that I used the grinding and honing wheels on a knife and broadhead, I was totally impressed.  The Broadhead Pro (double and single bevel versions) works great in the field but since they only have one steel cutting blade, sharpening a set of broadheads can take a lot of time if you have dull blades with a high bevel angle.  
   How sharp is sharp?  In my opinion, the German Kinetics Silver Flame was the standard by which all other broadheads are judged for sharpness.  But I could never figure our how Markus got his wonderful broadheads so sharp.  Until now.  They are honed and polished on special wheel systems.  I’ve finally found that system.  We now use it at the factory on our line of GrizzlyStik broadheads and have one in the shop to resharpend customers used heads.  Being the capitalist that I am, it just made sense to offer the system for sale to bowhunters….because it works.  Take a look at this YouTube video on how sharp a broadhead can get.  

We just uploaded our first demonstration video which we will have on our web site soon showing the safe and proper use of the GrizzlyStik Razor Sharp System.  Check out our site in a couple hours for a look see.  Or visit this url now:

Cheers,
Ed Schlief
Alaska Bowhunting Supply

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©