3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: In this recession what are you..........  (Read 1136 times)

Offline Arkansaslongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
In this recession what are you..........
« on: May 18, 2009, 12:02:00 AM »
Doing diffrent?.. I know there are alot of variables on this subject but please share some of your thoughts.

I for one am focusing on hunting alot closer to home for this upcoming season; I love to travel to hunt diffrent states  but the money is alot tighter than in recent years; my out-of-state license fees will be used to travel more of Arkansas in finding places to hunt; I am growing alot bigger garden and will be canning more than in the past;

I am also in the market to buy alot more arrows and broadheads and will be buying an extra deep freeze for the meat I plan to harvest; I have cut way back {almost quit} eating out and am saving money in everyway possible to prepare for the upcoming season;

Please share on the ways you are doing things different in this recession; your thoughts may help someone else; as always thank you, God bless...  :campfire:
May the sun always shine bright on your path and the wind be in your face

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: In this recession what are you..........
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 02:42:00 AM »
I am glad i dont have to cut back anything. Saying this, i am a student and was before, so i never had much money. But now i found a great part time job and to be honest i got more money now than before the regression.

But for all who feel the regression, i hope you make it well. My best wishes and supporting thoughts for those!
And sometimes our dreams they float like anchors in hopeless waters oh way down here
Sometimes it seems that all that matters most are all the things that you can't keep
(William Elliot Whitmore)

Offline nybowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 06:06:00 AM »
going to hunt even harder.
The morning first light ,In the stand, Griffin longbow in my hand >>>==========> PRICELESS

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 06:16:00 AM »
Not me. I REFUSE to participate in this recession. I haven't worked 12-14 hour days for the last 30 years to have to curtail my hunting trips. Full speed ahead!
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 06:24:00 AM »
I'm going to spend even more time in the woods, so I'm isolated from the doom and gloom forecasters. I'm going to the same shoots as I did last year and spend some money to help bring back the economy, just doing my part.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline pintail_drake2004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 06:49:00 AM »
i already spend 100+ days hunting and 100+days on the lake, not counting what i scout and trap too. I am literally getting paid to go school at the moment for my masters degree (not bad for 23) Still looking for a job with the DOI but not sure that will come around any time soon

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 07:03:00 AM »
I'm with Biggie on this one I REFUSE to participate.I've worked to many long hours of overtime away from friends and family to have someone tell me how to live my life or spend my money.I've got 4 hunts booked this year plus all the local hunts.These words have just put my in the purchasing mode for that new custom recurve I've been thinking about.I'm sure most of the boyers out there could use a stimulous. I'll write the check (now how many #s & Length.....)FULL SPEED AHEAD
Jeff Couture

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 07:23:00 AM »
I travel doing my job. I don't care to travel when I'm off.  Although, I'm still looking at a Moose John float, in the future.

There are still 100's of thousands of Hoosier land to be searched...walking, biking,canoeing.  

I will travel to the same Indiana hunts and get in as many shoots, where ever I can.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 07:49:00 AM »
AMEN Biggie!!! You must be a EIB listener!!
I am planning my biannual Colorado deer hunt, also saving for a moose hunt in Alaska next year!
Also planning on a fall color trip to Michigan's UP with my wife and two girls!
Although, my family and I are still living on our budget that we have been on for 5 plus years (Thanks Dave Ramsey!), b/c of the budget with a secure job, we can are still able enjoy our extra activities!

chris <><

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 09:58:00 AM »
Like Biggie, Cooch, and Onions, I refuse to participate in this rececession.

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Adirondack Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 10:25:00 AM »
I'm in construction. There is no recession in upstate NY.We're already  past the recession phase and now we're well into a depression.

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 10:32:00 AM »
I get a kick out of the "I refuse to participate in this rececession". I am sure all those who lost their jobs,homes,cars,etc just CHOSE to participate! Be thankfull if this has not affected you and keep the ones who lost everything in your prayers. I appologize if I took this the wrong way!
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline Steel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 10:38:00 AM »
So far my work or personal has not been affected and I am very Thankful for that.I have seen alot of factory jobs going away in the state and believe it or not our oil production jobs took a big layoff a few months back. I figure sooner or later we will feel the pain from those Jobs being reduced.

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 10:43:00 AM »
I'm glad I bought all of my toys before the recession started. Hunting and fishing are cheap if you already own the equipment, and an afternoon of stump shooting is cheap entertainment.

Offline redfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 12:00:00 PM »
Well, I am still figuring that out. I was in the construction equipment business so you can guess where I am right now. Got laid off around the first of March. I am almost 58 and have been in that business for over 31 years. Folks aren't fighting each other to hire me.
Back to the question. On one hand, it looks like I will finally have the time to go on some hunts. On the other, where is the money going to come from?
The one thing I do know is that I don't have enough years left to let any opportunities to hunt with my sons pass, so I will figure a way to buy the non-resident licenses.
I'm not wasting money and I don't go anywhere that I don't need to.
El Paisano
Ebi-kuyuutsi

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2009, 01:37:00 PM »
Biggie! You go with your bad self!

Billy, I hear you! I'm having a blast exploring the reservoir just a half hour from home!

But I still want to go on a hog hunt!!!

Bona
>>>---------->
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline Dustin Waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2009, 02:18:00 PM »
I have just recently taken part in a savings program.  For every dollar I spend on something I want, I put .50 into my savings account.  Just a little something to fall back on incase things get really difficult.  This approach has also caused me to look at prices a lot closer and be more discriminate with the money I am spending.

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2009, 03:20:00 PM »
I am going to start hunting at night. I can save a lot on camo.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2009, 04:04:00 PM »
Out of state hunts are booked; a bow has been bought. I am going to hunt deer harder here close to home this year. The only difference this year than the past few is I did not spend the money to book any hunts in Canada.  Some of that is me being mad at the airlines; which treat us all like criminals and cattle...

Life is short,,, enjoy it. Work hard, save some money for bow trips and go get after them.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline NW Jamie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2009, 07:02:00 PM »
Arkansaslongbow,
Good post with some pretty varied responses. For my part, yes still have a job; but had to take a 34% cut in salary and instead of working 50 hours week I now work 70 hours because of layoffs. Have seen retirement funds go in the tube and wonder if I really will be able to hang up work in a year or two? With all of that said, I am way better off than a whole lot of other good hard working people.  Plan on hunting in state this year and keeping cost down any way that we can,  look for ways to repair equipment that I have, resoled hunting boots instead of buying new, make use of the clothing that I have, use the library for books in lieu of buying new. Will save up and try and do a caribou hunt next year, have money put aside for a Shrew bow that is ordered with Ron, but other than that just don’t spend it unless we have to. These times do clear ones head and for me I realize just how important being outdoors is and just how unimportant having the newest, fastest, and best is not. Not trying to be on a soapbox, but one way or another I will walk in the woods or desert with my bow and enjoy being part of nature.
Regard’s,
Jim

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©